Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    Anyone know how the Replenishment Rune works? I put it on my best Steel Sword (Iris) at huge expense because apparently casting Igni should give me a burning sword, Quen should give me a shield etc but nothing seems to happen...
    Fecks sake does anyone know whats going on here? I dont understand it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

faceman wrote: »
    I've reached a point in the game where I've to go to the Isle of Mist and the game is warning me to make a save file and that some missions will no longer be available once I get there. I take it I'm getting to game end.

I'm a level 25 and the only side and contact missions left are level 30+. Should I venture on to the isle or attempt the higher level missions?

Finish the quests buddy. Dont want to ruin some stories for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I dont know why i didnt do it sooner, but I've just gotten my first full set of cat school gear and have upgraded some of it.

it looks much better than the stuff you pick up along the way, going to stick with this for the foreseeable future I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Witcher gear is the bomb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd say make sure to see which ones advantages you prefer most too, because to upgrade you need the previous one (e.g.for superior wolves boots, you need enhanced wolves boots etc) and a warning that the mastercrafted stuff is really f*cking pricey and tricky to get your hands on for some of the substances. I went ursine swords) though didn't use them once I got the sword on hearts of stone and blood and wine missions, they're still class) and wolves clothes. Elven mastercrafted looks great, though the collar does create a weird graphical clutch in cut scenes when Gerald looks to one side. Minor gripe, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Have played an hour or 2 of this but couldn;t get back into it for some reason.
    I'm not a lover of using WASD keys so that could be it.
    Tried the xbox controller on the pc last night after a few months away from it and I was hooked back in again ...sweet :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Blazer wrote: »
    Have played an hour or 2 of this but couldn;t get back into it for some reason.
    I'm not a lover of using WASD keys so that could be it.
    Tried the xbox controller on the pc last night after a few months away from it and I was hooked back in again ...sweet :D:D
    I play exclusively with the controller.

For me, 3rd person is controller, first person keyboard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Do you not find the camera too slow with the pad? I dunno cause I haven't tried it with the pad (as I broadly subscribe to the idea that 3rd person can sometimes be better with one), but in this case, I've found the controls pretty accessible and the speed of moving the camera around very important for fighting off a 6 pack of dickwolves or whatever.

I spend my days looking forward to getting home so I can play more Witcher 3, I think it's fair to say I'm totally hooked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Shiminay wrote: »
    Do you not find the camera too slow with the pad? I dunno cause I haven't tried it with the pad (as I broadly subscribe to the idea that 3rd person can sometimes be better with one), but in this case, I've found the controls pretty accessible and the speed of moving the camera around very important for fighting off a 6 pack of dickwolves or whatever.

I spend my days looking forward to getting home so I can play more Witcher 3, I think it's fair to say I'm totally hooked :D

i actually found combat way better with the gamepad..

So, I've finally landed on the isle of mist and thankfully, I didnt get any 'quest failed' notifications.

before I go any further - will I be able to complete any outstanding witcher contracts at a later stage? I've only 3 to do, but they're way above my level. (i'm 25, and they're 33 iirc). I made a copy of my save, so I can leave the isle of mists and try and struggle through them if they're going to be unavailable later.

• Advertisement

So, I've finally landed on the isle of mist and thankfully, I didnt get any 'quest failed' notifications.

before I go any further - will I be able to complete any outstanding witcher contracts at a later stage? I've only 3 to do, but they're way above my level. (i'm 25, and they're 33 iirc). I made a copy of my save, so I can leave the isle of mists and try and struggle through them if they're going to be unavailable later.

Yeah, you can hold onto Witcher Contracts even into/beyond the HOS/B&W expansions. Same for Treasure Hunts and I think a small handful of side quests.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Uh oh. I think I might have romanced Triss and Yen beyond the point of no return. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Uh oh. I think I might have romanced Triss and Yen beyond the point of no return. :o
    As far as I know it only counts if you
    have sex with both of them.
    Even if you have there's a pretty good reward later on.

So I saw my first "you failed and can't go back" things last night which involved winning a Gwent card from a character I'd been dealing with (
    The Bloody Barron
    ). Given I've spent as little time as possible on Gwent (I don't really dig card games), I'm a bit annoyed that I've missed out on a thing, but flug it.

Are there many cases of this happening in the game?

So I saw my first "you failed and can't go back" things last night which involved winning a Gwent card from a character I'd been dealing with (
    The Bloody Barron
    ). Given I've spent as little time as possible on Gwent (I don't really dig card games), I'm a bit annoyed that I've missed out on a thing, but flug it.

There are a few more involving gwent cards and but nothing locking you out of equipment etc.

The Bloody Barron

Exact same thing happened to me on that quest, only with
    the guy you help escape from the witch hunters in his big family mansion
    ! I also failed one of the quests talked about above, hadn't even noticed until after the main game was complete.

There are a few, but most are a little better signposted ahead of time than the Gwent one. For what it's worth I wasn't at all interested in it early, but it's a REALLY good mini game they've made. And you can still get the card you missed out on, only it'll be from someone else at random I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You can still get that card, you just cant win it from him.

I think its same for all cards where it would difficult to win it from them due to their current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I hated gwent at the beginning but now I f*ckin love it! It gets a lot more enjoyable when you start picking up decent cards.

Just after finishing the Isle of Mists myself last night. I just did the quest without exploring a bit, did I miss out on any decent loot?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Every new location in Blood and Wine leads to an explosion in secondary quests and question marks being added to the map, theres so much to do...

There really is so much content, but unlike Skyrim, it doesn't feel quite as "here's another dungeon template we've stamped onto the map" - but it's early days for me yet with only about 25-30 hours of gameplay in. I'm trying to keep the mission count low on my Quest's list - by only triggering a notice board with a yellow ! when I go to a new area, that's helping.

But yea... soooooo much to do :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You can still get that card, you just cant win it from him.

that card should be on the table in his room if you want to go back

Was playing last night and ran through the
    Battle of Kaer Morhen

All I can say is wow, the missus was beside me on the couch and has no time for videogames usually, but even she got totally swept up in the scale of it all.

what an amazing sequence, definitely in my top 3 gaming moments of this year.

Id also managed to
    get everyone possible to Kaer Mohren, more by accident that design, but it was so cool to see Letho, Kiera etc all making up the ensemble and getting ready around the castle.

also, the fight choreography in the cutscenes was top notch stuff, I was fully convinced that
    Eskel was going to buy it, and that moment previously in the forest, where Lambert, Letho and geralt are whirling around in a circle battling the wild hunt warriors
    Absolutely outstanding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm trying to keep the mission count low on my Quest's list - by only triggering a notice board with a yellow ! when I go to a new area, that's helping.

The problem with that is that suggested levels jump around a fair bit in each area. You run the risk of being over-levelled. That's unavoidable to a certain extent but don't make it any worse on yourself.

I found it better to add missions to my list as soon as they arose and then tick them off when I was at the appropriate level.

You're going to feel very overpowered later in the game, even on the highest difficulty setting. Make sure you don't take the fun out of it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I started at the weekend and still haven't left White Orchard. Playing on Death March and finding it handy enough so far.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I started at the weekend and still haven't left White Orchard. Playing on Death March and finding it handy enough so far.

That's probably because you offer to play Gwent with every single NPC you talk to.

Like others here I found the game getting too easy in the L25-30 range, even on thethe hardest difficulty.

I finished the main quest yesterday, already had all the side quests and all the Witcher contracts(from my list, prob missed a few).

Upon reloading the game and heading north to start the DLC, I bumped into some Boares(L34) as Level 35.
    They absolutely milled me, I barely survived.
    Ditto for the Fallen Knights and Arachnas.

I'm not sure were those enemies always there or only added after the end game with the DLC but I never encountered them in either play through.

They are too much of an step up, even after I went from mixed enhanced gear to fully Mastercrafted Cat gear.

I was constantly running away from everything at my level up north, including Ghouls.
    One Elemental my level I encountered I wasnt ableto put a dent in and had to run away.

I just had to drop back a level in difficulty to even things out.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

awec wrote: »
    That's probably because you offer to play Gwent with every single NPC you talk to.

I've only found one who'll play with me yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

did you forget to have the bath at the start of the game? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

What order should I start the DLC?

• Advertisement

What order should I start the DLC?
    You can play Hearts of Stone once you reach the level requirement but I'd leave Blood and Wine until you wrap up the main quest.

Advertisement