Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Well_H0ly_God

Neogaf and Reddit are imploding because this is turning into the Watcg_Dogs fiasco.

The game seems to have been downgraded.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not pushed at all, watch dogs could have looked miles better but was still a crap game. The ps4 vid I've seen of this looks good enough for me.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Not pushed at all, watch dogs could have looked miles better but was still a crap game. The ps4 vid I've seen of this looks good enough for me.

I'll play The Witcher too but I just wish devs would stop over promising and under delivering....

I miss the days of big PC exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It looks as if this game won't even look as good as the Witcher 2. These images are pretty damning.

http://imgur.com/a/K3uFC

Not that it bothers me too much, still looking forward to the game but hopefully some people will now realise that CDPR aren't infallible, like with the GMG affair.

It looks as if this game won't even look as good as the Witcher 2. These images are pretty damning.

Not that it bothers me too much, still looking forward to the game but hopefully some people will now realise that CDPR aren't infallible, like with the GMG affair.

Yes, absolutely disgraceful.

When are developers going to grow a pair and tell us exactly what we're getting? Look at the shiitstorm Ubisoft caused with Watch_Dogs...it's something they haven't recovered from and consumers just rolled all that frustration into the Unity hate.

No doubt the Witcher has suffered just like the rest have in a bid to scale back to get this onto the consoles. As I said before, I miss the days of PC exclusives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

All games have bad spots. Put a photo mode in the game and I guarantee you can take some of the worst and best screenshots of the game no problem.

Like Watchdogs.. I don't really care. Gameplay and art design are far more important than graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

this generation is starting to remind me of my spectrum 48k days, when I'd buy a game for my spectrum and on the back of the box would be screenshots of the game, looking amazing, but the screenshots would be of the amiga version and the spectrum version would look rubbish in comparison...

tok9 wrote: »
    All games have bad spots. Put a photo mode in the game and I guarantee you can take some of the worst and best screenshots of the game no problem.

Like Watchdogs.. I don't really care. Gameplay and art design are far more important than graphics.

Agreed - it's the reason my most anticipated games this year and next are some of the most unimpressive products from a visual perspective however when you've touted and promoted a product in the way in which The Witcher has been touted and promoted over the last two years there comes a point where you have to stand up and say, "hang on here, this is not what was promised to me as a consumer".

It's clear in this case that this game has been scaled back just like Watch_Dogs to meet the specifications of the consoles. Xbox One can barely get this running on 30 frames per second @ 900p resolution when the standard is 60FPS 1080p. Remember that controversy last year with Microsoft pressurizing Ubisoft to downgrade Assassin's Creed Unity to have a standard run because they knew the XBO wasn't capable of running at a PS4 standard let alone PC.

I've nothing against the Xbox. It's a cheaper system and when it comes to technology you ultimately get what you pay for. There is an inverse relationship between power and price. Consumers was 900Euro's worth of power for 250Euro. The problem is and the point I'm arguing in favour of is that it should look as good as it possibly can on PC and not be restricted by consoles. Port it over to the consoles - not the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I dunno. The impeccable XBox One screenshots posted up by Sheehy83 a few pages back were very recent were they not ? I can't imagine such a drastic scale back this late in the development lifecycle.

My apologies ^^^

I meant "a positive relationship between power and price". :)

• Advertisement

What a nightmare....

Here's Projekt Red's take on recent developments....
    Are all the textures and models the same?

Yes, there is only one version, otherwise we wouldn’t be able to make the game in time. We would have to take it all apart, and then build it and test it on three different platforms at the same time, which is impossible to do. Therefore, we have one common basis, and then transfer it to other platforms.

Aren’t you afraid that after its release the game will share the fate of Watch_Dogs, where the game was being compared to the first E3 gameplay? Have you followed the comments under The Witcher 3 VGA trailer? Many people were complaining about the drop in graphics quality in comparison to the first video materials.

Yes, we’ve seen them…

If they're restricted to develop a single standard then they have to accommodate the lowest common denominator which in this case is the Xbox One.

It seems The Witcher will be another title that won't utilise the PC or the PS4's power.

I dunno. The impeccable XBox One screenshots posted up by Sheehy83 a few pages back were very recent were they not ? I can't imagine such a drastic scale back this late in the development lifecycle.

I have a feeling They are actually PC shots with xbox controls overlay. Looks like ultra pc settings compared to recent console footage.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I have a feeling They are actually PC shots with xbox controls overlay. Looks like ultra pc settings compared to recent console footage.

I think you're being kind there.

I'm not so sure even PC at this stage will get anything remotely similar to what's been promoted given the fact that the game has been scaled back to accommodate the Xbox. Those videos were probably taken from the computer powering NASA's next launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I actually would not have minded waiting longer for the PS4 or even the PC version if it meant the game looked like what we had seen up to now, console parity is something that could will really hamper this generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

I personally couldnt give a rats arse whether theyve downgraded the graphics, the game still looks stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Think I'll wait for the reviews Myself. No point in getting all upset over resolutions or frame rates if it's still a great game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Think I'll wait for the reviews Myself. No point in getting all upset over resolutions or frame rates if it's still a great game.

Same. Didn't someone here mention the review embargo was up on the 12th or something? That's plenty of time to find out if it's worth getting or not. My main concern is if I've been spoilt too much by the combat in Bloodborne. Will see what the reviews say.

Xenji wrote: »
    I actually would not have minded waiting longer for the PS4 or even the PC version if it meant the game looked like what we had seen up to now, console parity is something that could will really hamper this generation.

This generation of console is extraordinarily underpowered. The tech was outdated at launch and it's even more so now. Ideally, these new modern day consoles should be modular. Instead of being upgradable as time goes on - they're nothing more than a snapshot, a still image of a specific moment in time while technology improves and innovates.

It's understandable that it all comes down to finance.

Ken Kutaragi wouldn't have released such a machine but Sony were understandably concerned with the PS3. No longer did Sony or Microsoft want to sell the hardware at a loss for a few years but needed to recoup revenue from the off-set. The 360 back in 2005 was perhaps an appreciable piece of capable kit but that business model doesn't work anymore. Nintendo were probably the first to see the writing on the wall with the massive chasm that was forming between was was technologically possible and price balance so they veered off to reach the casuals with the Wii before they all left for the smartphone market. Now we struggle to meet 60FPS @ 1080p when tech is hitting 120FPS and 4K resolution on "other" platforms.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Please stick to discussing The Witcher 3. This is not yet another tired console vs PC thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Don't want to drag this off topic, but this is only 2 short years into the PS4/XOne life cycle and they're already scaling games back because they're underpowered. This is a trend that's only going to worsen in the next 3-5 years, it's actually going to be the norm with AAAs if you ask me.

Of course, its possible they'll improve, al la GTAV and TLOU running incredibly well on PS3, but when you're dropping the ball this early in the game, I doubt there's any going back.

I'll be playing on PC, and while its a bit disheartening that this is being scaled back because an unrelated console can't hack it, complaining probably won't help. Just gotta suck it up, and knowing The Witcher Series the gameplay will make it worthwhile anyways. Just my two cents.

*edit* Johnny will ya let me away with this? :p

• Advertisement

I think if anyone isn't happy with what the devs are doing, then speak with your wallet and don't buy the game.

Anyway, saw in Argos a while ago that they now have this listed and it is €67.99. Might stick to the digital version afterall. Couple of bad experiences with Smyths had put me off getting anymore games from them.

I think the more worrying trend is that the "vocal majority" of gamers judge the merits of a game on its graphical fidelity rather than its gameplay. Not pointing fingers at any here, just some reactions ive read online. Some people have pulled heir pre-order bassed on this. Sad times for the direction the industry is headed in...

Still going to go with Argos, €4 more than Amazon, but at least I will get it a week quicker, plus they might knock another few Euro off it between now and the release day.

This will probably be taken down pretty fast, and we all know about compression, still looks very good though especially the environments and is taken from the PS4.

I think the more worrying trend is that the "vocal majority" of gamers judge the merits of a game on its graphical fidelity rather than its gameplay. Not pointing fingers at any here, just some reactions ive read online. Some people have pulled heir pre-order bassed on this. Sad times for the direction the industry is headed in...

Personally, I've kind of moved away from AAA titles.

Don't get me wrong I'll hop on the hype train of massive releases because I do enjoy playing them with friends however if I'm alone with an hour or two to spare I'm more at home with something like Braid, Paper's Please, Don't Starve, Fez, Nidhogg, Gone Home, Spelunky, Cave Story or Limbo - titles my friends would laugh at if I turned on with them present.

I think the backlash in terms of The Witcher solely rests, not on graphics, but on the fact that consumers were promised a product that looks, ever increasingly, unlikely to be the experienced delivered to them.

I think the backlash in terms of The Witcher solely rests, not on graphics, but on the fact that consumers were promised a product that looks, ever increasingly, unlikely to be the experienced delivered to them.

In what way has what was promised not been delivered? All the backlash ive seen has been solely from a graphical standpoint. In fairness, the game isnt out yet, bar those few copys sold early. No one has played the game, no one can really comment on how good the game is. All this "noise" is coming from spoiled, IMO, people. If the game comes out and is only 10 hours long, the combat is woeful, the quests stale re-hashes of fetch quests, the world closed off behind invisible walls, etc... Then there will be a genuine reason to cry about promises not being fulfilled.

Anyway, enough about that. PSN is telling me I have 8 days until G-Day ( G for Geralt) :D

In what way has what was promised not been delivered? All the backlash ive seen has been solely from a graphical standpoint. In fairness, the game isnt out yet, bar those few copys sold early. No one has played the game, no one can really comment on how good the game is. All this "noise" is coming from spoiled, IMO, people. If the game comes out and is only 10 hours long, the combat is woeful, the quests stale re-hashes of fetch quests, the world closed off behind invisible walls, etc... Then there will be a genuine reason to cry about promises not being fulfilled.

Anyway, enough about that. PSN is telling me I have 8 days until G-Day ( G for Geralt) :D

No one complains about Monument Valley's visuals for lack of looking akin to Battlefront. The reason being it was never promoted as such. The problem with The Witcher is not simply that the graphics aren't up to scratch - it's that the graphics are not up to the level that was previously promised. That's the key part. That's the difference.

It's not simply a case of saying "ah, the graphics are crap".

It's a case of saying "the graphics are not what was promised". In other words, the promotional campaign has been a gross misrepresentation of the delivered product and that's when you start getting into legal problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

As someone who will be playing this on PS4.. I was never expecting to play the footage we were being shown anyway so I'm not sure how people can complain about a downgrade there.

tok9 wrote: »
    As someone who will be playing this on PS4.. I was never expecting to play the footage we were being shown anyway so I'm not sure how people can complain about a downgrade there.

Here it is running on Xbox One

http: //i.imgur.com/W6f6R1v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Here it is running on Xbox One

http: //i.imgur.com/W6f6R1v.jpg

why do you keep putting links like that?

Advertisement