Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's the first one I came across (in the kind of cave of sorts, right?), and if I remember it's certainly not the biggest! ;)

The one I've found is more of a tower thingy, boss on the top floor. Cave sounds like it'll be hard to dodge attacks from so many enemies, still looking forward to that one though!
    There is. 4 all together i think but i can only seem to recall the one in the north and one in a huge cave network

Well I've just made it my goal for the night to find and obliterate the other 3 then. :)

Jesus this really is some game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I used to let the runners make it to the beacons and call in the reinforcements because it used to be so much fun going to town with Twirl and Igni on a huge mob, theres very few other points in the game where you get charged by that many enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I got Aerondight :D I had that sword in the previous 2 games and never started the 3rd one with it. Its awesome, not great specs but it sets things on fire :)

Also just slaughtered the bandits at the base, found it kinda easy. Only the shield guy on the stairs troubled me so I ran past to fight him with some space.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've
    gathered everyone at Kaer morden
    once you do that, are you locked out the following achievements
    Visit Tir ná Lia and convince Ge'els to betray Eredin,Defeat Eredin, Complete the subplot about choosing Skellige's ruler, ake part in the assassination of King Radovid,
    I remember meeting the guy for the last one but nothing ever came of it and theres nothing in the quest log for it.

I've
    gathered everyone at Kaer morden
    once you do that, are you locked out the following achievements
    Visit Tir ná Lia and convince Ge'els to betray Eredin,Defeat Eredin, Complete the subplot about choosing Skellige's ruler, ake part in the assassination of King Radovid,
    I remember meeting the guy for the last one but nothing ever came of it and theres nothing in the quest log for it.

No you should be fine after Kaer, thereis another 10 to 15 hours main story gameplay and you will be going to Tir but I not would read the achievements as there is some massive spoilers if you are following or trying to make your own story.

Not sure about
    Radovoid but his life/death has a bearing on a few endings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »
    No you should be fine after Kaer, thereis another 10 to 15 hours main story gameplay and you will be going to Tir but I not would read the achievements as there is some massive spoilers if you are following or trying to make your own story.

Not sure about
    Radovoid but his life/death has a bearing on a few endings

I thought
    gathering everyone at kaer morden was the end
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

That's all after where you are.

I thought

About 6 main missions after that, i think after 2 you are free to wander again and can close off all your Witcher Contracts and side quests that do not relate to anyone who was at Aker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I thought

Oooohhh no, this game is comically huge!

Given the detail of graphics etc as well it surely has to be the biggest single player game ever made with a main storyline? The Blood and Wine DLC alone apparently has about double the amount of hours of Doom or Uncharted 4, for crying out loud!

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=20077
    https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=2708
    https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=33660

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm only level 6 but I am still struggling with the combat. I die quite a lot. :(

Blocking only seems to work for lower level enemies, dodging only works a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

awec wrote: »
    I'm only level 6 but I am still struggling with the combat. I die quite a lot. :(

You will reach a point where combat becomes easier. You can adjust the difficulty setting without affecting trophies/achievements. Do try work on upgrading and seeking out Witcher Gear and weapons. And use signs. Different guides say different things but for me I used Quen far more than any other sign. I upgraded it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

faceman wrote: »
    You will reach a point where combat becomes easier. You can adjust the difficulty setting without affecting trophies/achievements. Do try work on upgrading and seeking out Witcher Gear and weapons. And use signs. Different guides say different things but for me I used Quen far more than any other sign. I upgraded it first.

I personally set the combat to Easiest, just didn't find it fun at low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

block against humans, roll against creatures,

faceman wrote: »

Not sure about that, on xbox you get a warning that you'll miss achievements if you try and switch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I parry occasionally against humans but I never roll only dodge. It's rare enough I'll get hit and I always have quen active in case i do.

I think I put 6 ability points into quen until I maxed out the shield that gives you health on hits and it's practically the only sign i use (apart from spectres where I have to use Yrden).

Level 21/22 on Death March now. Only found the first hour or two tough when I was getting used to the combat (oh and werewolves, **** werewolves).

Does/did nobody else use igni most?

Burn them, burn them all!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd make one addition to Stone Deaf and that's "Block for Humans, Dodge for Monsters and Dive away for groups (Nekkers, wolves, humans, or anything else)" :) Also, I personally find locking on to enemies to be a massive hindrance (mouse camera control, so flicking it around to face the right way is no problem).

Last night I believe I finished the main storyline, but the game glitched out on a conversation and so I called it a night and went to bed. I hit lvl 34 and am wearing Master Crafted Ursine School gear (rwarrr I'm a bear!). I spent all my money on upgrading my Griffon and Wolfen gear too (having largely ignored Cat School), so I'm trying to pick up as many side missions and looting opportunities as I can cause there's a completionist streak in me that really wants it all done :D

I might take a break now before going straight into the 2 DLC's, but it has been a most enjoyable experience playing this game.

Edit: most used magic is Quen, Aard and Igni. I upgraded to be able to shoot a stream of fire with Igni and I spent points in Quen (exploding shield) and Axii (Jedi Mind Tricks in conversations). You need Aard for walking around Skellige cause you'll have so many Sirens, Harpies and the likes to be dealing with.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,274 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've only ever found camera lock useful for fist fights I think.

Aard for humans.
    Igni for monsters that it works on.
    Quen for anything above my level.
    Yrden for wraiths.

Top combat tip no 1: Fight them where you want to fight, not where they want. Space is important.

Parry and counters are handy for humans especially shields, dodge roll for any monster. you can level it up that you never take damage rolling.

Level 46 atm with Grandmaster Wolven Gear with Geralts Sword from the Tourney and Aerondight which is just the best silver sword in the game.

So far I have no ability points in alchemy, is there a point when it becomes obvious i need to upgrade that?

• Advertisement

So far I have no ability points in alchemy, is there a point when it becomes obvious i need to upgrade that?

unless you like looking at menus, you can nearly avoid it completely. I managed to finish the game with a total of 5 potions crafted. and I think 2 of them had to do with quests.

for signs, I like talking my way out of trouble in rpgs, so I upgraded axii, had Igni maxed out (melt armour ftw!). I found that once you hit a certain point, you dont need to rely on the 'one free hit' that quen gives. I think I got Aard up to far reach, handy for grounding flying enemies.

The potions and decoctions were not absolutely necessary, but I tried to get them all and got pretty close - they add a lot of fun to the game, I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Bought the GOTY edition in the steam sale after finishing the standard edition on the xbox. Have to say that Ultra settings on the PC this game looks amazing. I'm currently grinding my way to lvl30 to start the DLC and righting afew wrongs from my first playthrough. And wronging a few rights as it happens lol. Compared to Fallout 4 it's like a decade ahead graphically and gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

dreamers75 wrote: »
    I got Aerondight :D I had that sword in the previous 2 games and never started the 3rd one with it. Its awesome, not great specs but it sets things on fire :)

Also just slaughtered the bandits at the base, found it kinda easy. Only the shield guy on the stairs troubled me so I ran past to fight him with some space.
    It doesnt set things on fire unless you Igni rune it, used properly its the best sword in the game though, absolutely lethal against large groups, I was using it on humans towards the end:
    Each blow generates charges which increase sword damage by 10%. Charges are lost over time or when receiving damage. A fully-charged sword always deals critical hit damage.

Killing a foe with a fully loaded sword will expend its charge to permanently increase the weapon's damage. Damage is increased by: 0 (to a maximum of 10 - increasing along with your character level).
    Great quest to get it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Quen - not even once.

Some of the alchemy skills add extra uses to potions and longer duration.

Also, increasing toxicity tolerance allows you to use more decoctions, which can make you near invincible (Ekhidna/Ekimmara/Griffin).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Spent all of last night finally finishing off my set of Grandmaster Feline Armour (and the swords too),which looks unreal since I dyed it all red and gave Geralt a ridiculous haircut and beard, as well as equipping the professor's glasses. Now he looks like someone who went back in time from the early 1900's. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Pics or GTFO (as the kidz would say)

Sooooo, the sex scene was odd and uncomfortable viewing. :pac:

Yeah, get used to it. Definitely ones I just skipped by, someone popping in at that exact moment would have been pretty feckin' awkward. "Oh so this is that 'game' you've been raving about and spent 100+ hours on, is it?" :o:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

never mind that tell us about The Witcher game

Advertisement