Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Xenji wrote: »
    Probably in the middle
    Ciri the Empress is a better ending
    and to be honest the rest are really a matter of taste.

I would have ranked
    Ciri being a Witcher
    as the "best" ending for her.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would guess the Empress one is considered the "best" ending as it's the hardest one to get.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I just can't fathom why anyone would
    bring Ciri to see the emperor at any point
    , I was as much of an asshole to that guy as i possibly could be :pac:

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mickeroo wrote: »

I think that was part of the game, trying to get you to think beyond "I like this guy" or "I don't like this guy".

I'd never played the first two so it was pretty hard to make some decisions with absolutely no back story or context.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »

I was tempted to bring her at one point,
    There was a conversation with the emperor at one point where he made it pretty clear that there would be consequences for not doing so, but the threat never materialised after. I was afraid that something along the lines of him killing yen , triss or dandelion could have occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ps4 thread, Gwent thread and finally this thread. All should be aware. PS crowd finally getting a look in.

https://twitter.com/PlayGwent/status/847365435376844800

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I loved the based game but haven't played the DLC yet; see the Season Pass is on sale for 14.99 on Steam. I'm guessing that's the cheapest way to play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine on Steam, and would be seen as good value, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

ionapaul wrote: »
    I loved the based game but haven't played the DLC yet; see the Season Pass is on sale for 14.99 on Steam. I'm guessing that's the cheapest way to play Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine on Steam, and would be seen as good value, right?

DO IT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ionapaul wrote: »

Put it this way - Witcher 3 swept most GOTY awards in 2016, and the Blood & Wine (second, bigger) expansion won a number of RPG of the year awards and finished in the top 5 in many overall GOTY awards in 2016. The f***ing DLC expansion!! (it's got more gameplay hours than most 'big name releases' like Rise of the Tomb Raider & Doom).

And... though I wouldn't include myself in this, a lot of people actually prefer the Hearts of Stone (first, smaller - but about the same length as Tomb Raider or Doom) expansion. It also has one of the best villains in probably any game ever.

So especially considering you loved the base game, it's probably the best gaming purchase you'll make all year.

I definitely preferred Hearts of Stone. It was more eccentric and less traditional.

• Advertisement

I definitely preferred Hearts of Stone. It was more eccentric and less traditional.

More eccentric than the
    Fairy Tale World???
    - silly as that was, fecking loved it though! :D

B&W was a good deal more tongue in cheek like that at times which some weren't happy with apparently, I quite liked it though (and the overall game's general ability to be very heavy, but also laugh at itself).

Billy86 wrote: »
    More eccentric than the
    Fairy Tale World???
    - silly as that was, fecking loved it though! :D

B&W was a good deal more tongue in cheek like that at times which some weren't happy with apparently, I quite liked it though (and the overall game's general ability to be very heavy, but also laugh at itself).

I'm not sure how to exactly describe why wasn't mad about B&W. I feel like they were stories I had heard before. Don't get me wrong, it was good, I just wasn't blown away by it unlike many other plot lines this game has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Blood and Wine if released as the Witcher 3 would be one of the best games ever made. Its that good.

I liked Hearts of Stone but there wasnt enough side missions and I find the other missions can be better than the main ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Never finished this game because one of the updates didnt agree with my outdated graphics card. Replaying from the start on a new graphics card. 60 hours in and I'm still not as far as I was. I forgot how much there was to do in this game. I got to try a new love interest. Think I made a mistake on that one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Take my coin!!!

Unfortunately April's Fools. :(

Shougeki wrote: »

Yupp just like the shoved Roach up on this building :pac:

https://twitter.com/iorveth4life/status/848096222632128512

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Both expansion packs available in the PS store for around €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Shougeki wrote: »

or is it? :D

C80h6fOW0AAHyHR.jpg:orig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

About to start playing this finally. Anyone recommend a link to a good tips page to help get me started?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

About to start playing this finally. Anyone recommend a link to a good tips page to help get me started?

I hope you have a few weeks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Started this a couple of weeks ago. Found the card game rules very confusing and missed out on some earlier cards (The Baron)
    Now all I play is Gwent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Tip 1:
    9WkNluj.jpg

Have you got both DLC's and how important is immersion to you?

I have recently finished the game and both DLC's and I disagree with the consensus that both DLC's should be completed _after_ the main game. The problem with this is that the world becomes empty after you complete it. The regular gang is no where to be found and this destroys immersion. Your heart will feel empty after such an epic campaign.

I therefore recommend that you get as close as possible to the end game (You will know when it's the final mission), then play and finish the Hearts of Stone DLC. After that complete the main campaign and then _immediately_ start the Blood and Wine campaign.

This route will spare you from the heartache of running around an empty world.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I just have the base game. Was thinking of picking up the DLC but with the game being so famously massive I think maybe I should hold off, at least initially.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You don't need the DLC yet, as one is mid game and the other is set after the main game. There's more than enough content to keep you going for 100 or so hours. As for tips, i'd recommend you don't read anything before hand. Just play the game, put some points into swords and try the magic, and just stick with what you like. There's no bad builds (well, there probably are), but you'll figure it out.

I'd absolutely love to be playing this for the first time again. It's an amazing game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

One thing I must be doing wrong is not using potions. I'm level 19 and have put one skill point into the green skills. My Toxicity is zero and never an issue.

I just have the base game. Was thinking of picking up the DLC but with the game being so famously massive I think maybe I should hold off, at least initially.

You will be clamoring to buy it in about 100 gameplay hours time, trust me. :D

As was mentioned there are no bad builds, but I reckon the alchemy (green) ones are most fun personally and add the most extra hours etc to the game trying to develop more potions and decoctions. Though I would say to upgrade the 'yrden' one to the second level if you're playing on Death March or some of the wraith characters I found could be infuriatingly impossible before doing so. Your call whatever way you want to build, but there is a thing you can buy around mid game onwards called 'potion of clearance' or something like that, that allows you to reset all your leveling up points and move them to something else between red/green/blue. You can buy this multiple times also so it's not just a one-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Taking the plunge in the PSN sale for the 25e GOTY Edition.

Big falout fan, enjoyed skyrim - hoping its not overly medieval for me.

noodler wrote: »

I had not played much of any games for years until about 18 months ago when my room mate got Fallout 4 on the PS4, I loved it and got hooked. About 6-7 months ago I built myself a gaming PC and Witcher 3 GOTY was the first title I bought. I seriously regret it because nothing else looks like will even come close for a good, long while.

I really, really like Fallout 4 even though I know some didn't, but there is no comparison between it and The Witcher. It is very medieval but trust me, you won't care. Might bother you for the first tiny bit, but once you get to Velen (after the small intro town early on) you won't care one f***ing bit. :D

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    One thing I must be doing wrong is not using potions. I'm level 19 and have put one skill point into the green skills. My Toxicity is zero and never an issue.

You don't really need to level that tree at all, you can craft the potions regardless. I never had an issue with toxicity even on death march.
    noodler wrote: »

Yeah, you'll never be able to stomach a bethesda rpg again. :P

Advertisement