Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

I just have the base game. Was thinking of picking up the DLC but with the game being so famously massive I think maybe I should hold off, at least initially.

Ah man, get both the DLC's :) They are worth it. The HoS DLC has my favourite antagonist in the series.

Getting and enabling the DLC's wont affect your main campaign at all. You lose nothing by having it loaded.

Tip 2. You will be wasting your time if you explore all the sea bound ? points in Skellige.

Tip 3. Don't load the main menu theme as your ringtone, you'll be tempted to not answer any phone calls :p

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The stats / build part of it is not complicated at all compared to other games, neither is gear. I completed the game without crafting a single piece of armour or weapons aside from the ones that you get as rewards for certain quests.

I didn't put a single ability point into the green section either.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

awec wrote: »
    The stats / build part of it is not complicated at all compared to other games, neither is gear. I completed the game without crafting a single piece of armour or weapons aside from the ones that you get as rewards for certain quests.

I didn't put a single ability point into the green section either.

Gotta make the school gear!!! I liked in B&W when you have display stands :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Having already completed this game twice including the DLC on the second run through, im finding im having to stop myself from going for a third go at it.....for another few months at least anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Is it true that the saves from the normal W3 aren't compatible with the GOTY edition?. Thinking about picking up the GOTY but I had W3 before but traded it in about half way through the game so don't really fancy playing through it all again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Started playing this last week. I'm still only level 5 but ran into a quest that was level 26. It auto-saved as I stated the quest so every time i restarted i died within 2 seconds. Luckily my last manual save was only a couple of minutes beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Gear and stats only really matter if playing on highest difficulty from the start, if you are not it doesnt really make any difference.

The basic premise is: There is a monster, Learn about how you kill it. Bring that stuff.

It is not as boring as that last sentence :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

When you're surrounded by ten dudes, some with spears, some with swords, some with big **** off hammers, it's important.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Is it true that the saves from the normal W3 aren't compatible with the GOTY edition?. Thinking about picking up the GOTY but I had W3 before but traded it in about half way through the game so don't really fancy playing through it all again.

Yeah that's true unfortunately. It's treated as a separate game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

My previous save worked fine when I was upgraded to the GOTY edition so I don't think that's true.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cina wrote: »
    My previous save worked fine when I was upgraded to the GOTY edition so I don't think that's true.

Possibly not an issue on PC, definitely true on console though which I'm thinking they're on since they traded in the game originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Possibly not an issue on PC, definitely true on console though which I'm thinking they're on since they traded in the game originally.

Oh I see, apologies!

Yeah that's true unfortunately. It's treated as a separate game.

Thats a balls so, was hoping they'd have sorted it out somehow by now. Guess I'll just leave it off so. Cheers!

Thats a balls so, was hoping they'd have sorted it out somehow by now. Guess I'll just leave it off so. Cheers!

Game and season pass is on sale on xbox at the moment if that's what you're on.

Game and season pass is on sale on xbox at the moment if that's what you're on.

I'm on PS4. The GOTY edition is on sale atm for 25 so was thinking about picking it up. But don't see myself playing through the 30-40 hours I've already put into it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

I'm on PS4. The GOTY edition is on sale atm for 25 so was thinking about picking it up. But don't see myself playing through the 30-40 hours I've already put into it again.

yeah,its a shame the save files from the disc version dont carry over to the digi version..

I played it up until you go to
    Kaer Moran
    towards the end. Moved onto something else. Had about 100hours played. Returned a few months after B&W and couldn't remember how to do anything. Restarted from scratch.
    I regret nothing. [341 hours on record]

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Shougeki wrote: »
    I played it up until you go to
    Kaer Moran
    towards the end. Moved onto something else. Had about 100hours played. Returned a few months after B&W and couldn't remember how to do anything. Restarted from scratch.
    I regret nothing. [341 hours on record]

i checked and i completed the game and made a small start on both dlc's with a mind to clearing a bit of my backlog and returning to them after,i never did..

i bought the digi version and lost my saves will start again,ps is saying i have 360hrs of the game played.. so its gonna be double that at least to finish it again along with the dlc's... Totally Worth it!

bigphil2 wrote: »
    i checked and i completed the game and made a small start on both dlc's with a mind to clearing a bit of my backlog and returning to them after,i never did..

i bought the digi version and lost my saves will start again,ps is saying i have 360hrs of the game played.. so its gonna be double that at least to finish it again along with the dlc's... Totally Worth it!

If you finished the game you could use a high level character for the DLCs I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Witcher Author Andrzej Sapkowski says that the games have cost him book sales but Metro 2033 author Dmitry Glukhovsky has another opinion on the matter :D

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/19/the-witcher-author-thinks-the-games-have-lost-him-book-sales-metro-2033-author-says-this-is-totally-wrong/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Skerries wrote: »
    Witcher Author Andrzej Sapkowski says that the games have cost him book sales but Metro 2033 author Dmitry Glukhovsky has another opinion on the matter :D

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/19/the-witcher-author-thinks-the-games-have-lost-him-book-sales-metro-2033-author-says-this-is-totally-wrong/

The Final Book in the series just came in the mail for me today. I have only read the books because the games have inspired me to. As much as i love Sapkowski's work i have no time for him because he seems like a foukin dooooooooope

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The Final Book in the series just came in the mail for me today. I have only read the books because the games have inspired me to. As much as i love Sapkowski's work i have no time for him because he seems like a foukin dooooooooope

I read the books after playing witcher 2 when I got it free with gold. Love them, surprisingly funny in parts, and it really lends further depth to stuff you come across when playing the games - particularly little nods in the various in-game books you find.

He just strikes me as a guy who is probably being taken somewhat out of context. Euro gamer had a great interview with him and he came across as a likeable curmudgeon, who is refreshingly honest about the money side of things.

Poles/Ukrainians vs Russians ? Who'd have thunk it :D

Seriously though the metro books are great but the translations are Sh1t. Herself is fluent and assures me of this, grand if you don;t know better though so moot I guess.

Glukhovsky had a much bigger role in the writing of the last light game than Sapkowski had in any of the witcher stuff. To me Sapkowski licensed it and expected a cheque where as Glukhovsky wanted to have input.

EDIT: I say this and I'm half way through metro 2035 which really wouldn't be the book it is without the game Metro:Last Light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Just finished the main story, only took 135hrs, but I think I got a great ending, don't know how I managed it seeing as I
    got Vesemir killed (not happy about that), but in the end Ciri survived, gave her a pretty sweet looking silver sword named swallow and she went on to be a Witcher

Now to start the expansions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

got Vesemir killed (not happy about that)
    It's unavoidable.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's a plot point designed to
    make Ciri loose control and show her power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

The important question is, Triss or Yen?

Yen, but in the end she started wreckin my head...so...that won't happen again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Yeah, now that I think about it, it's a plot point designed to
    make Ciri loose control and show her power

Which, having not played either of the other two games or knowing anything about the whole Witcher universe (genuinely wasn't sure if he was a male Witch, or a dude who hunted witches as of the start of the game :p ) is one of the most f***ing awesome moments of any game I have ever played. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I posted here a week and a half ago or so saying I was starting this so thought I would update.

Well...

It's brilliant, love it. Have just arrived in Velen after about 7hrs of play (really wish I had more time to play). Did everything I could do in White Orchard, playing on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty.

I picked up the season pass earlier this week as it was on sale on the PS store for €12.99.

The only negative point I have is that the music, although good, is limited in variety and so can get a bit repetitive. Everything else is excellent.

Advertisement