Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

Skerries wrote: »
    Witcher Author Andrzej Sapkowski says that the games have cost him book sales but Metro 2033 author Dmitry Glukhovsky has another opinion on the matter :D

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/19/the-witcher-author-thinks-the-games-have-lost-him-book-sales-metro-2033-author-says-this-is-totally-wrong/

Wow, the author seems bitter. I wouldn't have known a thing about his books or the universe he created only for the critical acclaim and popularity of CDPR's The Witcher 3.

He doesn't have to love the game, video games in general, or be full of praise for the adaptation, but he seems to be in some serious denial.

After finishing the game I was mad to start reading the books and explore more of the world, I still am, but I'm not sure if I'll be giving him my money to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

stankratz wrote: »
    Wow, the author seems bitter. I wouldn't have known a thing about his books or the universe he created only for the critical acclaim and popularity of CDPR's The Witcher 3.

I heard on a podcast last week he sold the licence rights to CD Projekt Red for a relatively small sum a few years ago. I imagine that the money he likely lost in that deal may contribute to his opinion of them now. The books were apparently popular in Poland before the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it was not the first time he had sold the gaming rights to a developer but that version failed thankfully

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-16-the-witcher-game-that-never-was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I posted here a week and a half ago or so saying I was starting this so thought I would update.

Well...

It's brilliant, love it. Have just arrived in Velen after about 7hrs of play (really wish I had more time to play). Did everything I could do in White Orchard, playing on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty.

I picked up the season pass earlier this week as it was on sale on the PS store for €12.99.

The only negative point I have is that the music, although good, is limited in variety and so can get a bit repetitive. Everything else is excellent.

I actually couldn't get into it too much until about the time I hit Velen, then got into it unlike any game I ever have - season pass is the best DLC purchase you'll have ever made, promise! :)

Hope it's not a spoiler but the music varies more as you open up the map further. I'd also advise you to try out Death March at this point, makes it even more engrossing again (but can be too tricky before Velen due to not being leveled up). Also seriously gets you to run like hell!! when you see that little red skull above someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

ERG89 wrote: »
    I heard on a podcast last week he sold the licence rights to CD Projekt Red for a relatively small sum a few years ago. I imagine that the money he likely lost in that deal may contribute to his opinion of them now. The books were apparently popular in Poland before the games.

Shoutouts to Pat :pac:

Witcher has been huge in Poland for many years. There was even a TV show I think.....

• Advertisement

I think it's time to start my second play through on death March

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ERG89 wrote: »

Might have listened to the same podcast (SBFC?) and I'd be sour if I was him too but only sour at my own stupidity. Always take the royalties over lump sum!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CD gave him more money for no reason other than being nice.

He does come off as a bit of a dick, fairly sure more people have read those books because of the games.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Just finished the main story, only took 135hrs, but I think I got a great ending, don't know how I managed it seeing as I
    got Vesemir killed (not happy about that), but in the end Ciri survived, gave her a pretty sweet looking silver sword named swallow and she went on to be a Witcher

Now to start the expansions!

I think this is the "good" ending rather than the best ending. It's the same one I got.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I posted here a week and a half ago or so saying I was starting this so thought I would update.

Well...

It's brilliant, love it. Have just arrived in Velen after about 7hrs of play (really wish I had more time to play). Did everything I could do in White Orchard, playing on Blood and Broken Bones difficulty.

I picked up the season pass earlier this week as it was on sale on the PS store for €12.99.

The only negative point I have is that the music, although good, is limited in variety and so can get a bit repetitive. Everything else is excellent.

the white orchard part is pretty dull tbh.

Velen is good but I found the general landscape depressing (it's supposed to be so I guess it's accurate), the later areas are IMO much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Evade wrote: »
    The important question is, Triss or Yen?

Roach.

The voice actor of Geralt was 's interviewed on Russell brand's latest radio show.

http://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/podcasts/download-the-russell-brand-on-radio-x-podcast/

Skip to 1:16

He get him to say some hilarious lines

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The voice actor of Geralt was 's interviewed on Russell brand's latest radio show.

http://www.radiox.co.uk/radio/podcasts/download-the-russell-brand-on-radio-x-podcast/

Skip to 1:16

He get him to say some hilarious lines

Can't see the link on there??

noodler wrote: »
    Can't see the link on there??

https://youtu.be/cFM1bsFCYn8?t=4583

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

This could be the new Game of Thrones. Holy ****. Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good

Executive producers Sean Daniel and Jason Brown (The Expanse), said ..

The Expanse is the best sci-fi show I've seen in a decade. I'm hopeful for this now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Just finished the main story, only took 135hrs, but I think I got a great ending, don't know how I managed it seeing as I
    got Vesemir killed (not happy about that), but in the end Ciri survived, gave her a pretty sweet looking silver sword named swallow and she went on to be a Witcher

Now to start the expansions!

Ah man, it's a pity that you're starting the expansion after the main story :(

In my opinion the order is: Main story -> Hearts of Stone -> Finish the Main Story -> Immediately go to Blood and Wine.

My reasoning is that while the DLC's are standalone and don't affect the main story at all, the world becomes noticeably empty after you finish the main story and then start Hearts of Stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

In my opinion the order is: Main story -> Hearts of Stone -> Finish the Main Story -> Immediately go to Blood and Wine.

My reasoning is that while the DLC's are standalone and don't affect the main story at all, the world becomes noticeably empty after you finish the main story and then start Hearts of Stone.

When I finished the main story I was notified that the world had reverted to before the last quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Eurogamer says it has nothing to do with the games so it will be very book-heavy. Always likely I guess with the author's resentment of the games.

Still really excited though, it's an awesome world for a TV show and Netflix have a good record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Hadn't noticed much of a difference although I'm playing on PC and have it modded. That was until the game went nuts on me after a windows update.

For some reason it stopped recognising that the DLC were installed so had to delete everything to do with the game and reinstall the whole lot, so (post freakout) I decided to start a New Game+ but will keep that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What are some good mods actually? Due a second playthrough very soon.

Can't remember the names off the top of my head but will have a look at the ones I have installed later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I love the books.

The only place they might fall down is dialogue and I'd imagine that's mostly down to issues from translating from Polish.

They'll be coming up with a fresh script so that should sort that issue out.

Unlike in the games where they need to populate the land with monsters for content reasons, there aren't really that many monsters hanging around.
    It's more like wild animals popping up and causing mischief with a few deadly exceptions, and many of the encounters aren't Geralt charging off to murder the **** out of things but rather finding common ground with them and in doing so, juxtaposing the inhumanity of man with the humanity of so-called monsters. Geralt undoubtedly kills more people than monsters in the books.

It's mostly about war, politics, inter-species relations and the relationship between Geralt, Ciri and Yennefer.

Whatever your opinions on that are, it'll be much easier to finance without loads of CGI 14 foot tall Cyclopes, Zeugls or doing practical effects for a river-full of drowners.

Seeing the chances taken with wacky **** like American Gods, I think there'll be plenty of room to explore the more out-there elements of Ciri's powers later on in the series.

Billy86 wrote: »
    What are some good mods actually? Due a second playthrough very soon.

So here's what I have and what you need to do.

You'll need to create a "mods" (exactly like that minus the quotation marks) folder in the root directory for the Witcher 3, Program File(x86)>Steam>etc or wherever you have steam saving games to, then it's simply a case of dropping the file into this folder. Files you need to move will always start with, for example, modFriendlyHUD, these are the ones you need to move. Just drag and drop.

Ok so first thing you'll need is the unofficial patch as some mods depend on it. While you're at it get Script Merge tool and run this each time you install a mod.

Mods I have can all be found easily on nexus so not gonna link them all:
    • Disable Storybook Videos
    • No Witcher Sense Zoom FX
    • Gear Improvements Last Longer
    • No Dirty Lense Effect
    • Lore Friendly Witchers
    • No Talk Icon
    • No More Rolling Down Stairs
    • Friendly HUD
    • The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project
    • Lore-Friendly Silver Swords
    • Realistic Contrast Textures
    • Realistic Weather

These are all mainly QOL mods and texture improvements. Make sure to check for dependencies and if you install FriendlyHUD make sure to read everything about it, it can be a bit of a nightmare but the mods I've installed didn't give much trouble, but it's a mod I can't play without now. None of there have had much impact on the game, still getting 60fps @ 1080p in cities

Then I guess it's a case of going through the mods available and seeing what you fancy installing yourself. Just make sure you run script merge every time you add a mod, it'll get rid of conflicts, and check to see if it's compatible with the current game version (some in the top 100 are no longer working, e.g. Random Encounters and one that made oils last longer).

Once you've added the mods you want, run the game and let it merge the new scripts. If you get any errors check the Posts section on FriendlyHUD (it's usually the culprit) cause there'll probably be a fix in there. If not PM and I'll try help if I can. Once the scripts are done that's it, game should launch straight to the start menu from now on.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what do most of those do?

the only one I installed on my playthrough was to expand my carry weight as I am a hoarder when it comes to these type of games

"I am sure I will need this rolling pin made out of cheese at some stage in the game"

Sorry, didn't think to put in a little description (post was getting a little tl;dr)
    • Disable Storybook Videos - disables the intro videos so you launch straight to the main menu and some of the comic videos between chapters
    • No Witcher Sense Zoom FX - Removes all camera movements and effects when activating witcher sense
    • Gear Improvements Last Longer - gear improvements from work benches and grindstones last one (in game) day, 96 mins, instead of 15 mins vanilla
    • No Dirty Lense Effect - removes the annoying dirt splashes on screen by making them transparent
    • Lore Friendly Witchers - makes Geralt and other witchers look like they did in the other games (paler, more battle worn and so on)
    • No Talk Icon - removes the annoying talk icon over NPC's heads
    • No More Rolling Down Stairs - Stops Geralt falling down the stairs like a drunked eejit
    • Friendly HUD - improves game menus, makes the hud contextual, adds features from other mods and so on, there's loads to this mod
    • The Witcher 3 HD Reworked Project - better looking textures
    • Lore-Friendly Silver Swords - Really increases the brightness of the silver swords, they look great
    • Realistic Contrast Textures - improves the textures of loads of items throughout the game including vegetation
    • Realistic Weather - tweaks the appearance of bad weather and adds a few extra types

Getting a netflix series with book author Sapkowski involved.

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-is-getting-a-netflix-series-1795289049?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Sapkowski has a bit of a chip on his shoulder to say the least re: the games as he took money up front and not a cut of the royalties but we'll see.

EDIT: He's taking this stance of games drove away readers etc with the benefit of hindsight, at the time he wasn't willing to gamble on the games being a success much less by a polish studio so gladly took a cheque. Now he bashes CDPR every chance he gets, and to be fair as much as Witcher made CDPR it also nearly buried them porting witcher 2 to Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

EDIT: He's taking this stance of games drove away readers etc with the benefit of hindsight, at the time he wasn't willing to gamble on the games being a success much less by a polish studio so gladly took a cheque. Now he bashes CDPR every chance he gets, and to be fair as much as Witcher made CDPR it also nearly buried them porting witcher 2 to Xbox.

If anything, the popularity of the Witcher 3 has driven official translations of his books into English and I have no doubt driven sales of his books and it wouldn't be as popular outside of Poland without the games.

He made a bad decision (in hindsight) regarding his cut regarding the games, but he's made money out of their popularity nonetheless*.

* I've no stats to back this up but just based on the official translations and popularity online.

It doesn't take a genius to realise the guy is simply wrong. The books have reached a wider audience through the games. I own three of the books and would have never heard of them otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I hope Sapokowski gets a cut of the profits of the Netflix series rather than the flat sum he got for the game, then i hope the TV series TANKS and he gets next to nothing!

Not really i want a good life action witcher show pls

Advertisement