Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Getting a netflix series with book author Sapkowski involved.

http://kotaku.com/the-witcher-is-getting-a-netflix-series-1795289049?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Sapkowski has a bit of a chip on his shoulder to say the least re: the games as he took money up front and not a cut of the royalties but we'll see.

EDIT: He's taking this stance of games drove away readers etc with the benefit of hindsight, at the time he wasn't willing to gamble on the games being a success much less by a polish studio so gladly took a cheque. Now he bashes CDPR every chance he gets, and to be fair as much as Witcher made CDPR it also nearly buried them porting witcher 2 to Xbox.

He sounds like a bitter Knob tbh and I don't him all that much anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

To be fair, I've done a bit more reading since yesterday and a lot of the comments I've seen attributed to Sapowski aren't actual quotes. The only quotes I've seen basically appear to say that:

- he screwed up and asked for a flat fee because he didn't think there'd be any profit and he realises he screwed up because he didn't understand the video game market (he is a former fur trader after all).
    - he doesn't like video games and won't play the game as such, but doesn't mind that others do - and likes what CDPR have done with his universe.
    - he acknowledges the games are a decent adaptation of his work but are seperate totally to the books.

Here's an interview / con appearance of him talking about it:

I don't agree with his general apathy toward video games, but I mean so what, he's 40 years older than I, different world he grew up in. The rest I can't find any fault with.

What I think he appears to be miffed at (other than his own cockup meaning he made no money off the games) is that now people associate the Witcher series with the games and not his books, which I'm sure I'd be pissed off at too was I a writer. He considers the books to be more important than the games, which is fair enough for him. The books created the games, which in turn raised the popularity of the books outside Poland massively, they benefitted each other. Many people seem to think it's one or the other that is best and most important - whereas of course the truth it somewhere in the middle as usual.

I say all this as someone who played the games first, and then went and read the books (and own - and love - all seven that have official English translations).

To be fair, I've done a bit more reading since yesterday and a lot of the comments I've seen attributed to Sapowski aren't actual quotes. The only quotes I've seen basically appear to say that:

- he screwed up and asked for a flat fee because he didn't think there'd be any profit and he realises he screwed up because he didn't understand the video game market (he is a former fur trader after all).
    - he doesn't like video games and won't play the game as such, but doesn't mind that others do - and likes what CDPR have done with his universe.
    - he acknowledges the games are a decent adaptation of his work but are seperate totally to the books.

Here's an interview / con appearance of him talking about it:

I don't agree with his general apathy toward video games, but I mean so what, he's 40 years older than I, different world he grew up in. The rest I can't find any fault with.

What I think he appears to be miffed at (other than his own cockup meaning he made no money off the games) is that now people associate the Witcher series with the games and not his books, which I'm sure I'd be pissed off at too was I a writer. He considers the books to be more important than the games, which is fair enough for him. The books created the games, which in turn raised the popularity of the books outside Poland massively, they benefitted each other. Many people seem to think it's one or the other that is best and most important - whereas of course the truth it somewhere in the middle as usual.

I say all this as someone who played the games first, and then went and read the books (and own - and love - all seven that have official English translations).

Same, but the fact remains the games were never going to make people not read his books. The opposite is true. I'd never heard of the books but for the games, same as the Metro series. Hell after playing Wolf Among Us I ordered €200+ worth of graphic novels of Fables from book depository. So unless he had a ****ty book deal aswell then he'd surely have seen a royalty boost in book sales.

There is a massive % that will play the games and never read his books but there is a % that never heard of his books that will read them because of the games like us.

Also if he wants to play the didn't know about videogames card then I'm sure he'll take a cheque vs royalty fee from netflix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I don't think he'll make the same mistake again. Out of touch with certain markets he'll admit to being ... but stupid he is not.

[edit] Should also note that I misspelled his name in the previous post. It's "Andrzej Sapkowski". F*cking k's.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Good write up by Eurogamer about meeting the man himself earlier in the year. Some media outlets tend to paint him as someone who hates the games, but its simply not true. He has a more ambivalent attitude towards them but does respect what CD Projekt Red have done with the universe.

The Witcher books have always been a big deal in Eastern Europe. The games simply brought them to a western audience. Having read all the books and played the games I tend to agree with sapkowski, you cant mix the plots from both media. I tend to look at the games as a stand alone extension of the books rather than a continuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh sweet jesus.

After trudging through the souless wasteland of Mass Effect Andromeda jumping back into the Witcher was heavenly.

There aren't many games I've played that get better the more I play them.
    I fall deeper and deeper into the world every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 psyconia

If I play blood an wine standalone can you complete all of the trophies/achievements - ? i.e. is it possible to get the all gwent ones or do you need some of the pack from playing through the main game ?

Thanks..

psyconia wrote: »
    If I play blood an wine standalone can you complete all of the trophies/achievements - ? i.e. is it possible to get the all gwent ones or do you need some of the pack from playing through the main game ?

Thanks..

Blood and wine Gwent cards don't count toward the full card deck of the main game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

psyconia wrote: »

Thanks..

They really need to release a better fix for that trophy than a book that tells you which region. Maybe proper quest notifications is the way to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

The GOTY edition is €25 on GOG.com for PC if you don't have this game yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Once again this game has just amazed me even though I thought I've seen and done everything in it.

Just started a new game and who do I meet in the inn in white Orchard at the very beginning of the game, none other but a lowly vagrant called guanter o'dimm introducing himself as master mirror, a down on his luck mirror merchant. The conversation with him took on a whole new meaning knowing what happens in hearts of stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Once again this game has just amazed me even though I thought I've seen and done everything in it.

Just started a new game and who do I meet in the inn in white Orchard at the very beginning of the game, none other but a lowly vagrant called guanter o'dimm introducing himself as master mirror, a down on his luck mirror merchant. The conversation with him took on a whole new meaning knowing what happens in hearts of stone.

Saw that a little after playing HOS on youtube. Did a budget build PC for the GF and put Witcher on it, she got into playing it last night and at that part it was hard not to give it away but couldn't help telling her to talk to that guy. "He's errr..... he's funny. It's a funny conversation. Trust me. Don't leave without talking to him, because erm... it's funny." :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

ERG89 wrote:
    Getting an Xbox One X & a PS4 Pro patch eventually.

Just came here to post the same thing. awesome any excuse to play through this classic again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm back enjoying Death March again, and am looking forward to getting through the DLC's. Only lvl8, and spent almost all of my points on defensive abilities so far. Yrden and Quen both help a lot, especially against large packs of enemies which are by far the most difficult to deal with. Not major issue with any other enemies so far. I did cheat a bit by increasing my carry weight and showing all quests on the map. Can't be arsed with the carry weight, and i want to make sure i haven't missed any fun quests. I never met that Vampire on my original playthrough.

Should i the DLC's till after the main story? And when do people usually go to Skellige?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd suggest trying an alchemy build personally, found I got a tonne of lifespan out of the game with all the potions to concoct etc and it added a huge variety to the game deciding which to go with. I did a little of the red/combat ones, but figured the signs/alchemy gave a bit of a different angle than you might get in other games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kiith wrote: »
    I did cheat a bit by increasing my carry weight and showing all quests on the map. Can't be arsed with the carry weight,

does that show you what quests you haven't done yet or just shows all the quests so you have to activate it at the start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

If I'm reading this right it would be this mod, which adds markers for all currently active quests and objectives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Assbook

Considering playing through this again , anyone here do it twice ? Is there anything I should do different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Assbook wrote: »
    Considering playing through this again , anyone here do it twice ? Is there anything I should do different ?

I'm on my third playthrough! On my second I just did the opposite of everything I did in the first. Instead of being a good noble witcher always doing the right thing, I squeezed everything bit of coin out of people and was just an ass in general...it was fun!!

Also I did things like only using witcher gear so I was stuck with level 1 swords and armour for a long long time till the scavenger hunts. I nearly always had armour/swords considerablely worse than my level, just making it harder for myself.

Did a completely different build too with the ability points. First time was a sword build, second was a sign build and this time doing a potion build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Assbook wrote: »
    Ban yourself from using Quen or any Witcher Gear.

Makes it a smidge more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Do the opposite of what you did last time.

I went fighter 1st time around, 2nd I went with tank defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Just got the GOTY Edition - played and beat the game about 18 months ago and also tired Death March, but never played the DLC.

Any tips for Death March starting fresh? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Just got the GOTY Edition - played and beat the game about 18 months ago and also tired Death March, but never played the DLC.

Any tips for Death March starting fresh? Thanks!

I started it fresh on death march a while ago and I'm about half way through it.

Honestly, early on be prepared to burn through potions and food to keep healed, go for a sword and alchemy build, ignore signs (except maybe Quen), and just be careful with all enemies (dodge lots!) because they all hit hard and you don't regen on meditation (though you can get that one that regens you gradually during the day, but it's kinda cheating imo). Also make sure you get witcher gear.

After a while it becomes pretty easy again even on death march, gear and builds get so good that I plow through most enemies, even bosses like the ice giant go down so easy as long as you avoid their hits. I try to avoid using Quen now cause it almost defeats the purpose.

On another note, easiness aside, I have now come to the conclusion two years on that it's the best game ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Cina wrote: »
    I started it fresh on death march a while ago and I'm about half way through it.

Honestly, early on be prepared to burn through potions and food to keep healed, go for a sword and alchemy build, ignore signs (except maybe Quen), and just be careful with all enemies (dodge lots!) because they all hit hard and you don't regen on meditation (though you can get that one that regens you gradually during the day, but it's kinda cheating imo). Also make sure you get witcher gear.

After a while it becomes pretty easy again even on death march, gear and builds get so good that I plow through most enemies, even bosses like the ice giant go down so easy as long as you avoid their hits. I try to avoid using Quen now cause it almost defeats the purpose.

On another note, easiness aside, I have now come to the conclusion two years on that it's the best game ever made.

Thanks Cina, some great tips, I havent actually tried the alchemy route so will bring something new straightaway.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into it now!

Death March gets much much easier after the Bloody Baron quest is finished. I found it pretty easy until you have to fight Imlerith. He was a pain. Eredin was tough also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Cina wrote: »
    you don't regen on meditation
    You do get your potions back as long as you have some alcohol so meditate to get your potions back, then take potions to regain health, then meditate to get your potions back and so on.

That saved me during death march since I got the glitch where I couldn't get more than the basic White Raffard's decoction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Evade wrote: »
    You do get your potions back as long as you have some alcohol so meditate to get your potions back, then take potions to regain health, then meditate to get your potions back and so on.

That saved me during death march since I got the glitch where I couldn't get more than the basic White Raffard's decoction.

Correct, yes, that's why it's important to get Swallow as early as possible too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've only played the game on death march, it's very easy once you learn that you can win every fight by spamming the dodge button and using Quen (particularly once you unlock the Quen perk that replenishes health on hits). Even Imlerith only took about 2 tries using this method. if you want a real challenge don't use Quen at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Thanks Cina, some great tips, I havent actually tried the alchemy route so will bring something new straightaway.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into it now!

There's a couple of roads you can go with alchemy.

There's a skill that increases the bonus that mutagens give you.
    Base Greater Green Mutagen gives +150 health.
    With three alchemy slots and the level 5 perk that increases the bonus they go up to 1400? Or maybe 700. Either way it's loads.
    My lvl 22ish Geralt has around 8k health and I have to try to get him killed.

Similarly, each Greater Red Mutagen gives you like +60% damage or something.

So, you can turn yourself into an unstoppable glacier of death that doesn't bother with dodging or Quen and just hammer away at lads until they're dead.
    The only issue is you won't do that much damage, so you might want to make sure your crit chance and damage are boosted (Katakan Decoction is a good option for this) and you make judicious use of oils and Thunderbolt.

Or, you can go for a higher risk version specced for damage and then go with the Water Hag Decoction, which gives +50% damage while you have full health.
    You'll be be like a hot knife through butter then, but you won't have the survivability.

I want to go for a wackier build next time I try. I'd like to make more use of the less fashionable skills like Yrden and Axii.

Also, early on, against groups of humans it helps to use Axii on them to stun, roll behind them and then hit them. You 1-shot them and it helps to avoid you getting overwhelmed when there's 6 or 7 lads on your case.

Advertisement