Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Got 62h in the beta. I like it although it's shallow. When both players have equal deck quality and skill level it's pretty much just a rock-paper-scissors game. Or if the decks aren't minimalistic (about 35ish cards or more is a very large deck according to pros) then it can come down to luck which cards you draw vs which strategy.

I still enjoy it a lot but I don't see it having a future. It's just too simple and is living in the shadow of the other big free to play card games. When I play, it's not very exciting but it isn't stressful either so that makes it quite easy to play. When I see an opponent, their leader card and the first few cards they play I know top to bottom what strategy they're going to use and whether I've drawn the right cards to be able to counter it. I know the result of the match before it even starts. The only way to keep it somewhat in the air is to have a bloated, non-pro deck with a few strategies and cards specifically designed to generically counter another strategy. That's what I do so it comes down to luck often in evenly matched battles but I can sometimes beat a pro just by having a card they would've never expected my deck to have.

Also you pretty much have to 100% understand the pass/bait game to survive later on. You need to know when to drop a round, go for the win or to place cards that won't help you later but are good at making the opponent think you might continue playing and therefore they'll waste their good cards and possibly even vital cards to their core strategy in a round that you weren't going to invest in. Having a card lead is usually enough to win in a final round situation if your deck is proper. Simply just being able to place more cards and by proxy choose which ones go first/later will win more than half the time if you've correctly baited out enough vital cards.

I think if CDPR want to see it having a healthy future they'll need to add a lot more complexity, capacity for unique strategy, cards that have symbiotic relationship to multiple strategies to make them versatile. Also including it in Cyberpunk 2077 as playable in the game world would be ambitious and probably keep people playing it as much as they did the original one in Witcher 3. Would also be really feckin' cool.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone play the Gwent beta much? Tried it several times and I just can't warm to it. There's too much different from the original Gwent, no idea what half the cards do or why sometimes an ability will work and others it won't. Loved the original Gwent but the beta is just annoying.

It just takes a bit of time to learn the cards, pay attention to the text on each card, watch some streamers who will explain their decks and their mechanics (Merchant is a well known one). Its a great game once you get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 houlihand

Brilliant game!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Anyone have a problem of Nexus not finding The Witcher 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Yeah, just create a folder in the game directory called mods and drop the files inside the zip (e.g. modFileName) into that folder. Make sure to download the Script Merger and run it after each mod, merge whatever is suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Loved this and played it to death when released along with with the first DLC . Had at least 99% of side quests complete and lost my save file:mad::mad:

Tried to get into the final DLC but just cant.. Seeing all the side quest markers uncomplete on the map is ruining it for me. maybe ill just have to start it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Billy86 wrote: »
    That will do it very easily I would say, I have a GTX 970 (desktop version) and i5 6600K (again desktop version) and can do 60fps on all ultra. I looked it up and while this comparison is imperfect yours equates to about a 1050 TI GPU and G4560 CPU, which I this in mostly high settings at 50fps on (with 8GB RAM).

G4560 vs 6300HQ - http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-6300HQ-vs-Intel-Pentium-G4560/m38166vs3892
    970M vs 1050 TI - http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970M-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/m17319vs3649

Actually, I found a video with your specs playing it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blIoA6idnsQ

Got it over the weekend, tweaked the settings, some on medium some on High ,hairworx off etc..

It looks great and hitting 60fps constantly.. its great to be back,although it is frustrating being weak as a kitten in White Orchard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Am I right in thinking the potions and spells used to defeat foes and creatures is a way of bypassing the recommended level? Or do I need them on top of the recommended level? Love the game, but hate being forced to have to go off on side quests and contracts to level up in order to progress in the game. I know, I should be doing these anyway as it's the point of the game but I prefer to pick and choose and not be arsed if I miss any.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You can be a few levels below the recommended level and do the quest no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I wish they would hurry up and release the pro patch i'm dying to get stuck back into this for my second playthrough. Really is a game of a generation and to think when i played it first i wasnt too sure about it.

Chances are the patch wont be out until the One x is around though.

• Advertisement

Is it official that they're adding support for 8th generation console upgrades? Last I checked it runs 900p 30fps on XBO & 1080p 25FPS PS4. Would the update mean 30fps 1080p?

Looked up later benchmarks. Seems updates made them both hit about 28-30fps.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's official yes. Update will be checkerboard 4k at 30fps most likely.

I wonder if they'll add a 60fps option. My first playthrough was 720p 60fps and second playthrough was 1080p 80ish fps. The combat is almost completely timing your dodges so having better responsiveness seems like a worthy option to give the player. Seeing the environments smoothly while on horseback or panning camera is also nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Goddam 6 hours in and have most of the first area 'done' maybe a little more exploring but all '?' done. Next mission is to leave the area. Also cleared some from the noticeboard. This game is just freakin EPIC in everyway! I'm using controller on my PC because I always use controller for RPG's. I have some graphic mod tweaks & the auto apply oil mod and auto loot mod as well (just lazy:-p) Still getting to grips with the Alchemy, but the graphics are just insane, the side missions are like proper missions, the combat is really, really good. I'm getting steady 60fps with everything on Ultra and all hairworks off. Running FX 6300 & 8GB RX 480 & 8GB ram. This.....is how games should be made....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Lads, I need some help. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to find out what gwent cards your missing?

I left the game down a few months back and only getting back into it now. Collect em all quest is still open and I'm pretty sure I've done all the gwent card side quests, just trying to figure out now if I missed an innkeep somewhere. I'm near the end of 'Final Preparations' so I want to round off the Gwent quest before I finish the game.

Other than revisiting all the vendors below (that I got from the link underneath), is there an easier way to figure out what I'm missing. Put a lot of work into the quest and don't want to mess it up by finishing the main game

https://www.vg247.com/2017/05/25/the-witcher-3-how-to-get-every-gwent-card-collect-em-all/

Innkeeper, White Orchard
    Innkeeper, Inn at the Crossroads, Velen
    Trader, Crow’s Perch, Velen
    Quartermaster, Crow’s Perch, Velen
    Trader, Midcopse, Velen
    Trader, Claywich, Velen
    Trader, Lindendale, Velen
    Missable: Olivier (innkeeper), Kingfisher Inn, Novigrad
    Marquise Serenity (innkeeper), Passiflora, Novigrad
    Innkeeper, The Golden Sturgeon, Novigrad
    Trader, Seven Cats Inn, Novigrad
    Innkeeper, Cunny of the Goose, Novigrad
    Stjepan (innkeeper), Oxenfurt
    Innkeeper, Kaer Trolde Harbour, Skellige
    Innkeeper, Urialla, Skellige
    Innkeeper, Arinbjorn, Skellige
    Innkeeper, Svorlag, Skellige
    Innkeeper, Harviken, Skellige

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I used this site to help me out. Took a bit of work putting everything in, but I'd say it cut my aimless wandering down by about 90%.

Also, there's an in game book called "A Miraculous Guide to Gwent" that will show you what area you need to get cards from. It's high level only, but it will tell you that you're missing 7 from Valen, 10 from etc...

Use the two together and you'll narrow down the search area pretty quick.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I used this site to help me out. Took a bit of work putting everything in, but I'd say it cut my aimless wandering down by about 90%.

Also, there's an in game book called "A Miraculous Guide to Gwent" that will show you what area you need to get cards from. It's high level only, but it will tell you that you're missing 7 from Valen, 10 from etc...

Legend, I had completely forgotten about A Miraculous Guide to Gwent.

I know some cards are missable but I presume if I missed one them the Collect em All quest would show up as failed. I was fairly meticulous about playing and beating anyone I came across with a sniff of a Gwent card on them when I was playing a few months back so reckon I'm OK.

The card hunt continues this evening :)

CatInABox wrote: »

Turns out I was missing 1 card in Velen. Went through deck versus that site and it was a trader in Midcopse I missed out on buying cards from. Thanks again, saved me a lost of aimless wondering around the map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DublinThinks

Played this game for hours on end last year, thought it was brilliant but for a few little glitches that annoyed me. Some markers still having a question mark when nothing remained,

But I just started playing it there and forgot how much I loved Gwent!

Anybody know if there's a way to get the Ciri or Geralt cards when you've already completed the main story?

Think I might have failed the missions you're supposed to earn them on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

Is there any advantage to playing Gwent? Do you get XP points or money or does it lead to anything? I don't dislike but I wouldn't call it a fun way to spend my time in the game either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

qrx wrote: »
    Is there any advantage to playing Gwent? Do you get XP points or money or does it lead to anything? I don't dislike but I wouldn't call it a fun way to spend my time in the game either.
    You can bet some gold but it's not a great money maker. There's a couple of sidequests that gwent can help with but it's not absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's a quest that you can get from it, but basically the answer is no. I didn't enjoy it so didn't bother playing at all.

Apart from the collect em all quest there's not much else to gain from it if you don't particularly enjoy it.

It can be a bit of a chore until you build up your decks but once I started to get good cards I found it a great break from the main game every now and then just to play the odd Innkeep as you ran into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

skerry wrote: »
    Turns out I was missing 1 card in Velen. Went through deck versus that site and it was a trader in Midcopse I missed out on buying cards from. Thanks again, saved me a lost of aimless wondering around the map.

Hahaha this was exactly same as me, was a head wreck and then it was a guy right beside the bloody baron.

I blame fast travel

recyclops wrote: »
    Hahaha this was exactly same as me, was a head wreck and then it was a guy right beside the bloody baron.

I blame fast travel

I was just afraid that it had been so long since I'd left the game down I'd have completely lost track of who I'd played and not played.

I think I had actually played and beat the guy I got my last card from but had forgot to buy the cards he was selling while I was there the first time.

Definitely the most work I've ever put into getting an achievement in a game but enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Do you need to have finished the main story to play the expansions, and if not which is the best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Do you need to have finished the main story to play the expansions, and if not which is the best one?

No, but you have to reach certain points to access them.

Best story goes to Hearts of Stone, but Blood and Wine has a lot more meat on the bone and is set in a new region. Both are as good as any full game I've played in the last few years, in different ways.

Cheers, might get Blood and Wine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cheers, might get Blood and Wine so.

You can usually get both for a discount with the season pass. I'd advise not missing out on Hearts of Stone, can't stress enough how great the story is. It's not that short either, solid 8 hours in it at least.

• Advertisement

I actually went to buy it but it's 20 euro on the store, I'll wait till it comes down in price again. Got Bloodborne instead.

Advertisement