Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

50 hours minimum, HLBT has it around 60 hours, or over 200hrs if you're doing a leisurely run-through!

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=30003
    https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=33660

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

depends how you play it but I got that much anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

awec wrote: »
    I think that's the most common ending, to get one of the other ones I would guess you'd have to make some more nuanced decisions during the game.
    I first got
    Ciri decides to take the throne. I think I babied her too much.

Then the previously mentioned ending on my 2nd playthrough.

Dare i start a 3rd? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How many different ending are there?

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many different ending are there?

There are three main endings but there are 36 variations of them based on the fate of secondary characters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just did a quest there
    where you have too go into a tower and get a book for your man so he can move the tower and on the book it said GOG.COM :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

So I just got started into Hears of Stone, all I can say is 'F$ck that Toad'!!

They fairly ramped up the difficulty for that one.

Hard to see where the story is going at the moment but its early days and its definitely got my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Just did a quest there
    where you have too go into a tower and get a book for your man so he can move the tower and on the book it said GOG.COM :D.
    Yeah that quest takes the piss out of DRM. One of my favourites, there's a lot of modern day easter eggs and jokes in the game actually. There's a certain castle in Skellige and inside is something that pays homage to a popular current TV show. You'll know it when you find it. ;)

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah that quest takes the piss out of DRM. One of my favourites, there's a lot of modern day easter eggs and jokes in the game actually. There's a certain castle in Skellige and inside is something that pays homage to a popular current TV show. You'll know it when you find it. ;)

Is that by any chance on the same island where I did that quest above?

Is that by any chance on the same island where I did that quest above?

Don't think so, the island it's on is
    Prison Island, north of Undvik in Skellige
    . Up to you if you want to read that or come across it in your own time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

So just got this off my brother and im about hour and a bit in. Ive heard its brilliant as a series. Will it effect me much playing the 3rd installment?

So just arrived at the first inn. Tough enough getting here as there was treasure along the beach i wanted but the drowners? put up a fight.

Any tips for a novice in the series??

Im on the blood and broken bones difficulty, i know i cant restore health and such while resting so getting a few sluppies seems esstiential.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

AidoEirE wrote: »
    So just got this off my brother and im about hour and a bit in. Ive heard its brilliant as a series. Will it effect me much playing the 3rd installment?

So just arrived at the first inn. Tough enough getting here as there was treasure along the beach i wanted but the drowners? put up a fight.

Im on the blood and broken bones difficulty, i know i cant restore health and such while resting so getting a few sluppies seems esstiential.

Don't worry about not playing the first two, you'll probably miss out on some history, but nothing that you won't pick up pretty quick. I didn't play through the first two either, and never felt like I was missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

CatInABox wrote: »
    Don't worry about not playing the first two, you'll probably miss out on some history, but nothing that you won't pick up pretty quick. I didn't play through the first two either, and never felt like I was missing out.

+1

But might as well watch this 5 min video if you feel like it:

AidoEirE wrote: »

As above, I missed out on the first 2 but it didn't limit my enjoyment of 3 and I never felt lost in what was going on.

As regards tips, don't get caught up in chasing the ?'s as you don't get a huge amount of XP from them, just do them as you come across them. Fastest way by far to level up is to stick to the main story and secondary quests.

Quen is your friend also, if your fighting a tough boss it always pays to have a shield active.

Folks, just wondering if anyone has any good links to sites that give information about builds.

I'm getting started on the HoS expansion and just finished gathering and crafting the Mastercrafted Ursine Armor and Swords. I was thinking of going for more of a tank build but I don't want to abandon signs completely (I generally use Quen, Yrden and Igni).

I looked at a few tank builds online and there seems to be a strong enough emphasis on alchemy in addition to strong attacks. I never really invested in the whole alchemy thing and thinking it might be a chore constantly foraging for ingredients to sustain such a build.

I did the main game with the Griffin Armor and had 3out of 4 quadrants of the skill tree filled with sign skills and blue mutagens with the last quadrant mainly fast attacks  and Griffin School techniques.

If anyone wants to share info on builds they had fun with or links to same that would be great. I have a few potions of clearance so willing to experiment a bit.

I'd be pretty confident I haven't been taking full advantage of the skills available so far and want to unleash the full awesomeness of my Level 38 Geralt.

In terms of foraging, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you only need to get the exact ingredients the first time you make a potion, then its replenished by alcohol from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

struggling with gwent. I know the general gist of it, but go to play and says I don't have enough unit cards. Is there somewhere I can buy unit cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

In terms of foraging, correct me if I'm wrong, I think you only need to get the exact ingredients the first time you make a potion, then its replenished by alcohol from then on.

Correct. Same for the upgraded potions and bombs.

struggling with gwent. I know the general gist of it, but go to play and says I don't have enough unit cards. Is there somewhere I can buy unit cards?
    Are you sure you just haven't got too many 'special cards' (biting frost, torrential rain and the like) in your deck? I think you have to have a certain amount of unit cards but I can't remember at the start if I ever had to go gather them before I played a game. I thought you were started off with a basic deck that had enough to play a game

Correct. Same for the upgraded potions and bombs.
    That definitely helps. I might toy around with that build and see how it goes. Like I said, I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the alchemy side of the game yet, only what was necessary to get by.
    Interested to hear if anyone has any other builds worth trying out or any good links.

• Advertisement

I did a mostly alchemy based build and loved it. Felt it gave more to the game, gave excuses to go out exploring the world looking for ingredients etc more (and they do stay for good once you make them once) and added a lot more depth since the red/tank type builds and whatnot you can do in any game for the most part really and the blue ones while interesting just didn't jump out at me as much.

Also seeing crackhead Geralt in the cut scenes was fun! :D

3de5f4a52ed02493d5c29612c55b96fd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

skerry wrote: »
    Are you sure you just haven't got too many 'special cards' (biting frost, torrential rain and the like) in your deck? I think you have to have a certain amount of unit cards but I can't remember at the start if I ever had to go gather them before I played a game. I thought you were started off with a basic deck that had enough to play a game
    I'll have another look, but I think I lost a lot during a game....I think there's only 3 left lol

Billy86 wrote: »
    I did a mostly alchemy based build and loved it. Felt it gave more to the game, gave excuses to go out exploring the world looking for ingredients etc more (and they do stay for good once you make them once) and added a lot more depth since the red/tank type builds and whatnot you can do in any game for the most part really and the blue ones while interesting just didn't jump out at me as much.

Also seeing crackhead Geralt in the cut scenes was fun! :D

3de5f4a52ed02493d5c29612c55b96fd.jpg
    Jaysus, Geralt after a few days on the Fisstech and not a wink of sleep had :D

Sound, I might give that tank build a shot for a change so cos its surprisingly heavily dependent on alchemy too. I'll just have to get my head around potions/ decoctions and try remember to pop them before battles.

Found this site which seems to give a nice few suggestions and fairly detailed info about builds.
    https://witcherbuilds.wordpress.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭qrx

All sounds interesting but...whoosh what? I'm clearly not getting the most from this game :)

I'll have another look, but I think I lost a lot during a game....I think there's only 3 left lol
    I'm pretty sure NPC's can't take cards off you, maybe they changed the rules when they seen you walk into the Inn :D

Well worth putting the time into it IMO. Few tips I would recommend off the bat are below:
    - Spies are great, points from the card go to opponent but you get 2 cards from your deck in return which nearly always works out in your favour.

- Its well worth loading your deck to suit the match as different opponents decks generally have a defined strategy e.g. opponents with Monster and Scoiateal generally lay a lot of infantry cards so its always good to make sure you have a couple of Biting Frost cards (reduces power of infantry cards to 1) in your deck and play once they have loaded most of their infantry cards to the board

- Decoys are handy too for when an opponent lays a spy card, you can use your decoy to take their spy card and play it to your advantage later.

- Medics are good too as once you lay them you get to play a card from your discard pile immediately. Particularly good to have on hand if your opponent has a habit of playing Scorch cards which will take your highest card off the deck, so once you play a medic you can bring your card that was just scorched back into play.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Watch a couple videos on YouTube and once you get the hang and build up the deck it gets a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Are any of the passive skills worth it?

I have the alchemy skill that increases the mutagen bonus so I've tended to keep each set full of one colour (2 green and 2 red at the moment).
    Is it worth losing the bonus to life or attack power and an alchemy or combat skill for any of the passives?

Just realised how expensive crafting Mastercrafted Armour is, gone from 25,000 to 1200 gold in a day :eek:

Any get rich quick schemes. I'm sitting on a heap of lesser glyphs and runestones so I'm guessing flog most of them would be a start.

Kill everyone and keep selling their sh*t, when they get a higher level it tends to be worth more. Your stuff sells for more in Novigrad and Oxenfurt if I recall.

Also all your alchemy stuff - random powders, monster bits, etc - you might have a tonne of really valuable stuff there you never even properly looked at.

Just realised how expensive crafting Mastercrafted Armour is, gone from 25,000 to 1200 gold in a day :eek:

Any get rich quick schemes. I'm sitting on a heap of lesser glyphs and runestones so I'm guessing flog most of them would be a start.

Smuggler's caches in Skellige. It's a bit of a chore but there's a lot of gold in it.

• Advertisement

Billy86 wrote: »
    Kill everyone and keep selling their sh*t, when they get a higher level it tends to be worth more. Your stuff sells for more in Novigrad and Oxenfurt if I recall.

Also all your alchemy stuff - random powders, monster bits, etc - you might have a tonne of really valuable stuff there you never even properly looked at.
    Cheers, I have an absolute a$$load of alchemy stuff cos I only used the odd potion when completing the main story. Gonna hang onto that stuff for another bit though cos I'm hoping to do a tank/ alchemy build when I get the time.

Have a heap of lesser glyphs and runes which I don't think are much use to me so will flog a few of them to support my Mastercrafted Armour habit.

Advertisement