Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

Shiminay wrote: »
    Oh wow... Just when I thought I'd seen everything this game had to offer, I'm currently
    wandering through the fairy tales land and just killed the 3 little pigs.

Genuinely bowled over that on top of everything else, they've put this in too :D

They went all out and did a tonne of homages, see if you can find a
    bonfire
    you can get Geralt to
    kneel at it
    :D

Actually I think you can get a weapon out of that too ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Feck, I missed that :(

[EDIT]
    HA! Spoke too soon. Just found it :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

This is showing up in the Xbox One X Enhanced list now, so the patch for it will be out in a day or two. Might be time to have another play though of this....

EDIT: It's out now, with a 4k mode, a 60FPS mode, and HDR. Nice.
    List of changes for Xbox One X:
    2 new graphic modes: 4K Mode and Performance Mode
    support for 4K resolution
    HDR support
    enhanced shadows, ambient occlusion and texture filtering
    higher resolutions textures
    dynamic resolution scaling (from 1080p to 4K)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,094 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Anyone else try it yet? I'm trying to test Performance Mode but the slider keeps flipping back to 4K when I close the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Anyone else try it yet? I'm trying to test Performance Mode but the slider keeps flipping back to 4K when I close the menu.

its a bug, its actually in performance mode once you back out of the menu. to go back to 4k mode, you have to slide it to performance, then back to 4k.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

emmetkenny wrote: »

Looks great in either mode, in my opinion. There's a little less jaggies on the horizon in 4K mode, but I'll probably stick to performance mode on my next play through, as I didn't really notice any distracting resolution drops.

I only played it for an hour mind, so it's not an indepth test or anything. Of course, I only loaded it up for a quick 5 minute test, but sure there was a quest only a few minutes away.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Bought this when it released got up to the 1st Wild Encounter with Kiera Mezz and don't know what happened but I got way layed with something else and ended up trading it and always regretted it

Anyway got the GOTY edition on PSN last week playing it since absolutely love this game , I'm only after reaching Novigrad now and I can't get enough of it , I can't help but think how amazing a Star Wars game would be made the same way . I would never leave the room haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

You're going to be so f***ing happy that you bought the GOTY version - you've basically got three full games (one absolutely huge - main game, one a legitimately pretty big standalone game - B&W, and another shorter one that's still as long as an Uncharted or Tomb Raider type game with some of the most amazing characters and story of the three.

Sadly a Star Wars equivalent would involve tonnes of loot boxes no doubt full of the worst Gwent cards. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Oh I know EA would never dream of making a game of the sort , they can go **** , I loved the old Knights of the Old Republic games by Bioware and Jade Empire after it , Always wanted an old style Lord of the Rings style one and Witcher 3 has nailed it for me , the scope is so big , characters are brilliant and there isn't many boring quests at all

But Geralt is the icing on the cake such a great character and sarcastic as **** love the game

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement

Picked up the GOTY edition in the Xbox sale as I fancied another run at it and a separate achievement list to work on and enhanced visuals now on the one X. 1st thing I noticed on loading in was how much older and battered Geralt looks now with the enhanced visuals even in 1080p. Probably something PC players have seen since launch but to me it's given me a different mind set in that detail alone.

I'd be gameplay over visuals all day every day but that gave me pause, and made me see Geralt differently to how I viewed him when I played the game at launch. It's one thing knowing and being told his history etc but when you can see it on his face it's quite different.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Picked up the GOTY edition in the Xbox sale as I fancied another run at it and a separate achievement list to work on and enhanced visuals now on the one X. 1st thing I noticed on loading in was how much older and battered Geralt looks now with the enhanced visuals even in 1080p. Probably something PC players have seen since launch but to me it's given me a different mind set in that detail alone.

I'd be gameplay over visuals all day every day but that gave me pause, and made me see Geralt differently to how I viewed him when I played the game at launch. It's one thing knowing and being told his history etc but when you can see it on his face it's quite different.

Did you 100% it before? I was thinking of getting the ps4 goty, well worth the money!

Yeah got 100% last time out, 20 euro for that amount of quality content is really good value.

Uugghh forgot what a pain death march was early on. 100's of hours on my 1st play through when it came out and now here on my 2nd do I only now discover because I pressed the wrong button that you can actually use axii to calm roach in battle !!!!

Same here, think I was up to level 6 before I went back to that early Noonwraith, also having a nightmare with werewolves at the sec!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Same here, think I was up to level 6 before I went back to that early Noonwraith, also having a nightmare with werewolves at the sec!

Wild at Heart quest? Just finished it. at level 4 on death march took me about 50 minutes in total and a lot rage. If it's that one you're on run back out of the cave and let the 3 wolves chase you and deal with them there the game should then let you save so you don't have to worry about them in later attempts.

Also you get an ability point at the places of power so you can get an extra 6 in White Orchard and put them all into muscle memory skill if you haven't already.

Yeah there was that one as well as the Whispering Willock one (the spirit in the tree that... well you know. Don't free it!). I'm doing this playthrough with the 'Ghost Mode' overhaul-ish mod, am on and have tweaked up some difficulty settings a bit. I love the free camera aspect of it, basically that you control the camera during fights yourself entirely independently and have to use it to manually aim. I've found this is great, great fun for dodging and weaving between swarms of enemies, slashing them to bits at will without getting him much (nekkers, drowners, humans, etc). It's also great for ghouls and the likes since you can really zone in on one at a time to stop them regenerating, but it makes it a nightmare against fast moving enemies that hit very hard and regenerate health. Can't remember if it's the base game or the mod, but due to scaling if I do a level 7 mission while I'm on level 10, all the enemies in it move up to level 10 also.

I also got my first real moment of "I don't have Roach, but I wonder what could be at this undiscovered loca.... OH F*CK, A DRAGON 20 LEVELS HIGHER THAN ME RUN RUN F***ING RUN RUN RUUUUUUNNNN!!!!" Always loved the sheer terror that little red skull elicits the moment you see it! :D

Also had maybe my single favourite exchange in the game last night, 'boatses protects boatses' - gotta love the rock trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Got the GOTY edition in the sales last year and been playing over the Xmas but feeling very jaded since I got to Skellige, gonna start PUBG and hopefully go back to it 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Has anyone else noticed some inventory lag on the Pro? It's taking a few seconds to load each tab. Used to be fine. Googled it and only found people giving out about it, and that CDPR were going to patch it, but I don't know if that happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Got the GOTY edition in the sales last year and been playing over the Xmas but feeling very jaded since I got to Skellige, gonna start PUBG and hopefully go back to it 

Getting to Skellige actually revitalised my interest in the game!

• Advertisement

I highly recommend a small mod to get rid of the HUD - I actually play with it on for the most part, though this allows you set it to small so it's not particularly noticeable... or to turn it off if you're standing up high in the posh end of Novigrad, in Skellige, etc and wind up with an amazing view you want to take a screenshot or whatnot of, it's a great tool. It's also just an option in the pause menu, so really easy to flick on/off instantly.

Silver For Monsters is the best fighting music in any game ever made, bar none. That's really all I came here to post. :o

I'd forgotten some of the humour in this , like in the Baron's place the Pulp Fiction reference :D

In other news I'm over the death march hump and have decent gear and don't fall down when a drowner looks at me. Going poison blades and alchemy this time. My OCD has also kicked in and am doing my usual check every question mark. Hated the Barons part the first time around and not enjoying it this time either. Real low point in an otherwise great adventure.

My favourite is the two beggars in Novigrad complaining about the healer taking away their 'profitable cases of leprosy' and leaving them broke and with no means to support themselves. Right out of Monty Python!

Quick screenshot without the HUD at sunrise near the top of Novigrad, love this feature.
    screenshotwitcher1.png

The game is also still winning Steam awards two years later - http://store.steampowered.com/news/36044/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was a massive witcher series fan. Played witcher 1 and 2 before it was "cool". For some reason always wanted to play third one, but never got around it.
    So I got myself xbox one x yesterday and first game I bought was witcher 3 goty.
    Only started out and my god how beautiful they made it. Played other games on pc, but this time playing it on tv with 60fps is fantastic. The detail in world is jaw droping. And its already almost 3 year old game! Cd project red is still my favourite dev!

You're well ahead on this but do death March! Esp when done in white orchard, might be best to start on medium until you've got the mechanics down.

Assuming that you're still in white orchard, then mate... You're not even at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to visuals (although the battle cut scene when yen puts the bird through the guys skull was class... An for people like me who had never even heard of the witcher stuff, completely unexpected and bad ass). Even the velen swamps look gorgeous in a certain light, and when you get to Skellow much later on... Well. Well, just... well well well!

Also the music throughout, get ready for deafness because while the sound isn't too high the music will make your ears just melt off in delight.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CiSeoX_4nzU - the best fighting song in any game ever made, hands down. As well as Dooms music captured a rampage through space and hell obliterating demons with superguns and grenades perfectly, this does the same here for running into a pile of bandits or whatnot... Tension building first as you're getting your bits together for the fight and right on cue, in you go to hack, slash, weave, dodge, burn, magic ****ing zap, hypnotise and butcher every single one of them! :D

Tw things - a little later in the game you can buy a "option of clearance" to reset/redistribute all your ability points, so don't worry if you've something useless like arrow dodge. You can buy a few times too. Finally, don't bee line the main missions, the contracts and side ones are out of this world but also impact the main story lines and give you unexpected drastic options.

I was adamant that Mario 64 was the best game of all time from the moment I got it for Christmas in 1997 I think it WAS, right up until I finished this. That's how good a ride you're in for... And be sure to say hi to the barron for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

I was a massive witcher series fan. Played witcher 1 and 2 before it was "cool". For some reason always wanted to play third one, but never got around it.
    So I got myself xbox one x yesterday and first game I bought was witcher 3 goty.
    Only started out and my god how beautiful they made it. Played other games on pc, but this time playing it on tv with 60fps is fantastic. The detail in world is jaw droping. And its already almost 3 year old game! Cd project red is still my favourite dev!

I was seriously tempted to get the one X - have a pro at the moment and love it but i like new shiny powerful things. If i do get it at some point or a gaming pc i think i would rebuy the witcher 3. It's THAT good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

I'm only playing through this now for the first time. Opened up Novigrad and Skellig (Irish reference?) but have so many question marks littered around my screen that the OCD inside me will not move on until I've gotten through a good chunk of them. This is my first Witcher game but have played plenty of RPGs similar.

Really enjoying it, the crafting system could be a bit more fun and a few little moans about equipping, maps etc. but so far a really enjoyable game. So many time we have laughed out loud (playing with husband) and literally recoiled in disgusted (The botchling - bleugh) and even though I'm still in Velen we have seen some consequences of our actions
    Damn Barron hung himself,
    really thought we were being helpful and trying to save Anna whoops

So now we are just dedicating hours to wandering around exploring, doing contracts and ticking off some of those question marks. Bit worried about over-leveling but the combat seems to be fun and challenging anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Billy86 wrote: »
    Finally, don't bee line the main missions, the contracts and side ones are out of this world but also impact the main story lines and give you unexpected drastic options.

Any of ye read Blood, Sweat, and Pixels? Great book about how games are developed; what it took to keep the projects alive, why certain decisions were made, and what killed off some projects. Each chapter is about a particular game, and one of the best is the chapter on Witcher 3 (it starts with some history on CD Projekt Red which was very interesting). Anyway, the book is well worth a read.

On Billy86’s point above, they made the Witcher 3 with a team responsible for side quests. Their aim was to make side quests interesting; the devs wanted no fetch quests. Every quest had to tell a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

kg703 wrote: »
    Skellig (Irish reference?)

Yep, seemingly the terrain for Skellige Isle was inspired by the real Skellig Isles. The culture of the isle is also very Gaelic and the accents of the NPCs are kind of a Irish / Scottish hybrid.

• Advertisement

Yep, seemingly the terrain for Skellige Isle was inspired by the real Skellig Isles. The culture of the isle is also very Gaelic and the accents of the NPCs are kind of a Irish / Scottish hybrid.
    I could well be wrong but reckon it's more of a Nordic/Celtic mix, mainly due to there being a good few Scandinavian sounding names like Olaf, Svanrige, Hjalmar, Harald, Guthlag, etc.

Advertisement