Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finally finished the Dandeloin questline last night and made my way to Skellige, thankfully! If my memory serves me correct, I enjoyed Skellige the last time around, and even though i'll be horsing through it as I want to get to the DLC, which i've never played, i'm looking forward to starting to enjoy this again!

I'm surprised by the bugs still in this , I'm encountering some of the same ones I saw at launch. Like with the Hard Times quest, or Missing Miners where the Troll will be hostile even if you choose the peaceful options, because you inflicted a DoT on him in the initial encounter. Having to meditate to get inn keeps etc to spawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So I finally had a few days off. Monday misses and ratty were out to grandpa so I had house for myself. Witcher was played.
    And.... was it wrong that I had very emotional dream about Geralt that night. I think I almost cried in dream...
    Last time I had dream about game was when I played Factorio. Dreamed about belts, inserters... wasn't emotional lol.

Anyway, looks like my xbox saying I played it over 30h so far. Only level 12 and wrapping up Velen. I was a bit skeptical about witcher 3 open world, because I loved first two games and open world witcher game hit me with Skyrim mediocre stench. I was wrong, they still managed to keep quality up.
    Loved the part where I accidently stumbled on a creature in cave and did its story bit, just to find out later its part of one of the bigger quests. I had to lie what I did to it lol. No regrets though, even if it murdered a whole village later on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I love using axii, if only for the little smirk Geralt has when he does it. Just after hoodwinking Sukrus' brother last night and there was just that hint of a "ha, idiot" look. It's the small things!

Just finished up Yens side quest, and on the off chance no one has done it yet, I'm gonna spoiler it (Yen/Triss/Ending spoilers):
    I knew when I started the game that I was picking Triss this time around. Like many, I got greedy the first time and tried to get both (and had the fling with the others too). So I was avoiding all romance option with Yen, and finally got to her side quest. At this stage, I had already professed my love for Triss, she stayed, got the ride, yurt! Then the Yen side quest. A little too much like real life, I nearly couldn't tell her I didn't love her. Not because I felt sorry for her, I didn't, she's a bitch and I don't know what Geralt sees in her, aside from her looks. She's a user and openly admits this, cares sweet fa about anyone but her. Geralt already laid down his life for her, I doubt she would ever do the same, unless there was something in it for her. I nearly couldn't do it because I felt the guilt! It wasn't helped by the game making the two flirt when I didn't want them to. Handy way to write her out though, thoughtful quest!

• Advertisement

Guys, I kind of wraped up Velen, at least what I could at level 14. Where wpuld I better go next? Novigrad or Skellega? Novigrad main quest is level 10, so maybe there first? Havent seen red headed beauty for a while too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Guys, I kind of wraped up Velen, at least what I could at level 14. Where wpuld I better go next? Novigrad or Skellega? Novigrad main quest is level 10, so maybe there first? Havent seen red headed beauty for a while too. :)

Novi

Skellig gets hard real quick.

If you feel manly there is a Monster den on the northernmost island in Skellig, archgriffin level 50+

go with the quests of lowest level and closest level to as you go so as not to lose XP reward.

Finished at 34 on death march today and it's a cake walk after Velen. DLC though brought me back down to earth on the 1st boss and drowners on the way.

Is level 22 enough for misty isles? I've a few secondary quests but tbh I feel I'm ready to push on and get the game finished. Recommends level 22, I'd probably be able to go to 23 with the couple more side quests I have outstanding.

Is there much left after that point? I need to somehow finish up on level 30 to be ready for the DLC which I plan on coming back to after a looong break. Is 8 more levels at this point possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Is level 22 enough for misty isles? I've a few secondary quests but tbh I feel I'm ready to push on and get the game finished. Recommends level 22, I'd probably be able to go to 23 with the couple more side quests I have outstanding.

Is there much left after that point? I need to somehow finish up on level 30 to be ready for the DLC which I plan on coming back to after a looong break. Is 8 more levels at this point possible?
    There's still a good bit to do after that. If you do go ahead to the Misty Isles it might cancel some of those sidequests.

• Advertisement

I si t me or does the durability on weapons fall through the floor in the DLC or is it just low on mastercrafted gear?

Think I repaired my gear 3 or 4 times before finishing the main game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I si t me or does the durability on weapons fall through the floor in the DLC or is it just low on mastercrafted gear?

Think I repaired my gear 3 or 4 times before finishing the main game.

Are you on PC? If so there's a mod that remove durability loss. It's not a good gameplay mechanic, not really sure why it's there.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342

Are you on PC? If so there's a mod that remove durability loss. It's not a good gameplay mechanic, not really sure why it's there.

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/342

I might be one of those rare idiots who actually like it. Makes it feel like you need to look after your gear. A big part of witcher games befpre was preping before fight. You could only use potions during meditation etc. Theu streamlined it a lot in witcher 3.

Anyway, I am around 50h mark now. In Novigrad with level 17. That is a bit insane. The one issue I have, that I am outleveling a lot of quests. Do you bother doing them then? I kind of do, die to story and items. At very least for gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I might be one of those rare idiots who actually like it. Makes it feel like you need to look after your gear. A big part of witcher games befpre was preping before fight. You could only use potions during meditation etc. Theu streamlined it a lot in witcher 3.

Ah, to be fair I very much appreciate that point of view regarding prepping. It's part of the feel of the games.

Admittedly in W3 it's not so important until you hit the higher difficulty levels, but the point it isn't not that it isn't a hard mechanic to fulfill, it's just not very fun mechanic. Having to run back before an important encounter in case your sword breaks, isn't great fun, it's just tedious.

At least let's assume that when Geralt meditates beside a fireplace for a few hours, he gives his sword an oiling and a sharpening and his armour a bit of a going over for 30 minutes before kipping/spacing out. So when he meditates, armour and weapons gets repaired for a cost of resources and sin é. That would make more sense to me. Meditate to prep yourself, ala Witcher 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I modded to improve the meditation, so Geralt actually knelt down and you needed wood to start a fire to create potions, ingredients to refill potions instead of them just coming back from one item. Despite all the immersion and difficulty modding, I think I removed weapon breakage. Most games just don't do it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I don't mind the degradation system at all to be honest, I've typically at least a dozen or more repair kits for both swords and armor just from looting, and find it has much more impact on lowering your damage or protection against damage than anything else. Halfway through my second playthrough and I've never had a single sword or piece of armor break on me.

Although, I would not advise Zelda BOTW for some one here! :p

Anyway, I am around 50h mark now. In Novigrad with level 17. That is a bit insane. The one issue I have, that I am outleveling a lot of quests. Do you bother doing them then? I kind of do, die to story and items. At very least for gold.

It was like that with my first and current playthroughs, they have the levels all wrong, you get well ahead of them most of the time. And it's annoying, as I'm swapping Witcher gear nearly every second level now, and not getting the enjoyment out of them before they're upgraded.

But yeah, the mission levels are badly done. I think it would be an improvement if they had a minimum level, but they levelled up with you then once you go beyond it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

It was like that with my first and current playthroughs, they have the levels all wrong, you get well ahead of them most of the time. And it's annoying, as I'm swapping Witcher gear nearly every second level now, and not getting the enjoyment out of them before they're upgraded.

But yeah, the mission levels are badly done. I think it would be an improvement if they had a minimum level, but they levelled up with you then once you go beyond it.

Agreed, I'm level 20 and I still havent left Novigrad, though Im just about to. Found exactly the same with the gear, the O/H won't let me put the 'good runes' on because we'll be getting new gear soon. Sure we are always getting new gear :pac::pac:

It would be good if they level with you as I am just hammering through opponents. Turned the difficulty up which helped. I find they are worth doing just for the amusing side quests alone!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Get the mod for quest XP regardless of level. You end up being pretty overpowered, but sure you do that anyway by around lvl25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭kg703

Ah I don't even want to keep levelling up - I just prefer the challenge :pac:

Moved onto Skellige last night

On an Xbox one, not PC

• Advertisement

Thought I was at the end last night....nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Finished the main story last night after 80 hours. Second time finishing it, first on xbox now PC.

I didnt get to play the DLC the first time so cant wait to get into it!

I went to play the game again on death march... after a few hours, couldn't be arsed frankly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Finished the main story last night after 80 hours. Second time finishing it, first on xbox now PC.

I didnt get to play the DLC the first time so cant wait to get into it!

did you mod it any?

Just got 100% achievements are buggy as hell on the GOTY edition , got seriously lucky with one of the late game story related ones, for through time and space was about to over write the oldest save which was from just before that mission when something made me check my achievements.

180 hours all in for base game and DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭johnmolly92

Skerries wrote: »
    did you mod it any?

Nothing too major. HD textures, fast travel from any location, and the extra skills and mutagens slots. I can see the extra slots being op as I get towards level 45-50 but we'll see how it goes.

I'm tempted to get the mod that gives xp for all quests, but I'm already a few levels ahead of the suggested so will hold off for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Just about to finish this now, I went with Triss so there's dirty looks being thrown everywhere. What a great game all around though. I'll be straight into the DLC next.

Just wondering where you can find how long you've been playing for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Just wondering where you can find how long you've been playing for?
    There's a play time total on one of the stat screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Evade wrote: »
    There's a play time total on one of the stat screen.

194 hours total. Jesus!

To be fair I've been playing it on and off since it came out.

Is there much left after the Battle of Kaer Mohan? I thought that was the end, seems like there's a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

at least another 20 - 30 hours excluding dlc

Advertisement