Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, do I finish main quest or start dlc first and then continue with main quest. I heard dlc is very good and and I am perfect level to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

This is one of those games i'd love to have a top end pc with all the bells and whistles to replay this. I finished it on the regular ps4 and have the pro now. I might start it again with latest update and see how it looks. Anyone played on the pro since the patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, do I finish main quest or start dlc first and then continue with main quest. I heard dlc is very good and and I am perfect level to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

You can do either. After you finish the main quest you get a kind of free roam post game where you can finish off hunts and start the DLC. I'd do the main game first if I was doing it again, it might have some impact on Blood and Wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Go with it so!! Both DLC's are brilliant IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I finished the main quest first. Apparently HoS is set just before the end of the main game, but it doesn't really matter, whereas B&W is set after the game end.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

jones wrote: »
    This is one of those games i'd love to have a top end pc with all the bells and whistles to replay this. I finished it on the regular ps4 and have the pro now. I might start it again with latest update and see how it looks. Anyone played on the pro since the patch?

I’m in almost the exact same position as you. Would love to play it on a PC but recently upgraded to a Pro because it was a handier and cheaper option. I’m waiting to save up for a 4K tv to play it on now, trying to resist the urge to just start it again now.

jones wrote: »
    Anyone played on the pro since the patch?

Yes, and it looks really really good. The level of small detail is incredible, and the lighting is really enhanced. Nearly one of the best looking games you can play on PS4 now. Nearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Depending on how involved you are into the story I would not finish the main quest then do the DLC.

Reason being that the world becomes noticeably empty after you finish the main quest. None of the people that you met are where they previously were.

My recommended order would be:
    1. Main Quest
    2. Up to the game changing point but no further (You'll know what it is)
    3. Hearts of Stone
    4. Finish the main quest
    5. Immediately ride off to Blood and Wine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

1. Up to the game changing point but no further (You'll know what it is)

Maybe I'm being a bit dense but is that
    before you go to Misty Isles
    ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Finish the main question
    To be, or not to be?

So, just finished the first proper quest in HoS last night, the one where you
    Bring Shani to the wedding while Vlodimir possesses your body.
    That was fun. A lot of fun! Gives me high hopes for the rest of HoS, and
    can't wait to see what Olgeird and O'Dimm are up to!

You have to give it to CDPR, they really do know how to make an entertaining game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hopes are high for Cyberpunk 2079 and it has to be better than the last big Sci-Fi RPG Mass Effect: Andromeda

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Skerries wrote: »
    hopes are high for Cyberpunk 2079 and it has to be better than the last big Sci-Fi RPG Mass Effect: Andromeda

It'll be interesting to see how they handle writing their own IP.

That Danny O'Dwyer documentary, while possibly a bit of free publicitiy for CDPR, did seem to indicate a real depth of understanding of worldbuilding.

The ideas about how to make things compelling, how to pepper a land with content without it feeling artificial and so on, attention to detail, how they value language, accent and other elements of culture, suggest that they have total mastery of the technical elements of world building.

With that said, the weirdness of the world drawing heavily from Polish and Slavic folklore gives it its own flavour, even if it's using a lot of pretty standard, often Tolkienesque tropes. They had a framework to build on from the original game, giving them a lot to work with.

It's going to be tougher to create a compelling world from scratch that has its own voice and doesn't feel like a rip off of something else.

You'd almost wish they had a word with Denis Villneuve or approached an existing universe to work in, but they certainly have enough credit in the bank to be entitled to have a crack at it themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I actually just happened to have the 2077 Wiki page open on another tab - and if the following isn't microtransaction related (doubt it is, I have a tonne of faith in CDPR there) this seems a pretty fun way of building the world authentically and diversely, particularly early on before the story fully grips.

The game will feature non-English-speaking characters. Players who do not speak the languages can buy translator implants to better comprehend them; depending on the advancement of the implants, the quality of translations will vary, with more expensive implants rendering more accurate translations.[5][6] "Braindance", a digital recording device streamed directly into the brain, allows the player character to experience the emotions, brain processes and muscle movements of another person as though they were their own.[7]

Billy86 wrote: »
    I actually just happened to have the 2077 Wiki page open on another tab - and if the following isn't microtransaction related (doubt it is, I have a tonne of faith in CDPR there) this seems a pretty fun way of building the world authentically and diversely, particularly early on before the story fully grips.

The game will feature non-English-speaking characters. Players who do not speak the languages can buy translator implants to better comprehend them; depending on the advancement of the implants, the quality of translations will vary, with more expensive implants rendering more accurate translations.[5][6] "Braindance", a digital recording device streamed directly into the brain, allows the player character to experience the emotions, brain processes and muscle movements of another person as though they were their own.[7]

Deffo not microtransaction , just a good idea CDPR had to immerse us ... I hope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gbear wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how they handle writing their own IP.

That Danny O'Dwyer documentary, while possibly a bit of free publicitiy for CDPR, did seem to indicate a real depth of understanding of worldbuilding.

The ideas about how to make things compelling, how to pepper a land with content without it feeling artificial and so on, attention to detail, how they value language, accent and other elements of culture, suggest that they have total mastery of the technical elements of world building.

With that said, the weirdness of the world drawing heavily from Polish and Slavic folklore gives it its own flavour, even if it's using a lot of pretty standard, often Tolkienesque tropes. They had a framework to build on from the original game, giving them a lot to work with.

It's going to be tougher to create a compelling world from scratch that has its own voice and doesn't feel like a rip off of something else.

You'd almost wish they had a word with Denis Villneuve or approached an existing universe to work in, but they certainly have enough credit in the bank to be entitled to have a crack at it themselves.

It's actually based on the Cyberpunk series of RPG games, so they've got a pretty well built universe already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's actually based on the Cyberpunk series of RPG games, so they've got a pretty well built universe already.

Well then.

Problem solved! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Finished finally, 200 hours and 1 minute exactly. Wasn't crazy about the last part. I'm going to wait till the dlc is on sale before I go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WolfSpinach

CatInABox wrote: »

They've also had significant input from Mike Pondsmith. They did a great job capturing Sapkowski's tone for the Witcher (at least what I've read so far) so I think they could do the same again.

• Advertisement

Finished finally, 200 hours and 1 minute exactly. Wasn't crazy about the last part. I'm going to wait till the dlc is on sale before I go back again.

it is on sale atm on Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The wedding in HoS was genuinely funny.

Like made me laugh.

So few things do that these days on TV!

it is on sale atm on Steam

Played on PS4. I'm going through my backlog of unfinished games atm. That was the biggest by far. 200 hours and never once disliked Geralt for even a second. That's some good writing.

I Played through most of Witcher 2 back in the day but got a little bored of it. I might try it again soon.

Witcher 1 I found too clunky to control so I gave up. A remaster of Witcher 1 would be most welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If it's the storytelling that gripped you most, you may well like the DLC more than the main game, even. Not as 'wide' and influence-able particularly in the first DLC anyway, but without spoiling anything the characters, lore/backstory (coming from someone who had never even heard of The Witcher series until well after the third game was out), storylines and so on are just incredible in them.

Yeah, start HoS and do the wedding, you'll be hooked again!

I've decided to go back and check all the question marks, it's very relaxing. I'm sure there's a lot of side quests to find still.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've decided to go back and check all the question marks, it's very relaxing. I'm sure there's a lot of side quests to find still.

My only complaint is that they are rarely anything interesting!

Loot loses all meaning very shortly in for me.

Like I'd love to find a standalone quest from them.

Found three so far, nothing amazing but still.

the talking Roach one is brilliant

• Advertisement

the talking Roach one is brilliant

The WHAT!?

Advertisement