Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

And I believe if the combat was more like Bloodborne, it would not have been as popular. While Bloodborne and its ilk have a strong following, it would have alienated quite a lot of other players who were into it for the story, not the combat. Personally, if the combat was anything like those games I would most likely have not played it, and if I did, I would have given up out of frustration after a while.

The combat wasn't hard, but it had its moments. I thought it was grand for the game, considering it did come out 4 years ago! Enjoyable, not too complicated. But it's all about the story imo, and that includes side-missions.

I dont mean as difficult as Bloodborne, i just mean as to how combat is approached, add to it and spruce it up with magic to make it easier if needs be, but yeah, they could have made the monster fights feel more epic. Instead of just using the required sign to incapacitate them so you can wail on them with ease :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bloodbourne and its ilk have ****ty combat, its actually atrocious but "classed" as hard because the control system is so ****ty.

I dont mind one hit kills but the game has to give you a dodge for it and a ****ty 3rd person camera that the PS1 would be proud off is not the way.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Bloodbourne and its ilk have ****ty combat, its actually atrocious but "classed" as hard because the control system is so ****ty.

C'mon now, thats a load of baloney :rolleyes:

nix wrote: »
    C'mon now, thats a load of baloney :rolleyes:

Come on, you play a Zelda game and that combat is tight, everything is functional. W3 nails that too, bloodbourne and dark souls seem to be made for PS2 with their combat.

Even the camera fights you in those games :confused:

Come on, you play a Zelda game and that combat is tight, everything is functional. W3 nails that too, bloodbourne and dark souls seem to be made for PS2 with their combat.

Even the camera fights you in those games :confused:

Yeah witcher 3 combat is so well made and challenging, you cant just obtain a skill and hold one button to kill everything with ease, careful though, you may need to change direction :rolleyes::pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah witcher 3 combat is so well made and challenging, you cant just obtain a skill and hold one button to kill everything with ease, careful though, you may need to change direction :rolleyes::pac:

Not sure if you are taking the piss or complimenting a well made build :confused:

that seems well made.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Lads, there's no point in arguing about Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, they're two quite different games.

It's like arguing about Gran Turismo and Need for Speed. Basic concept is the same, but the styling and all the details are vastly different.

Not sure if you are taking the piss or complimenting a well made build :confused:

that seems well made.

I'm taking the piss, the skill whirl is just that in the video, holding square and just rinsing everything around you, no skill or thought involved.

And that bloodborne video is a fight with one of the hardest enemies in the game :rolleyes: and the player fighting him also has a crappy health pool. Now if he had whirl to use it'd be an easy fight :pac::p
    Sonics2k wrote: »
    Lads, there's no point in arguing about Witcher 3 and Bloodborne, they're two quite different games.

It's like arguing about Gran Turismo and Need for Speed. Basic concept is the same, but the styling and all the details are vastly different.

It's hardly an argument :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm taking the piss, the skill whirl is just that in the video, holding square and just rinsing everything around you, no skill or thought involved.

And that bloodborne video is a fight with one of the hardest enemies in the game :rolleyes: and the player fighting him also has a crappy health pool. Now if he had whirl to use it'd be an easy fight :pac::p

It's hardly an argument :P

It really isn't.

Obviously there is no comparison as much as iove the witcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Some of the builds at higher levels can be silly but nothing is perfect in every scenario. Last play through, I aimed to max out yrden and quen so I can often run into bandit camps, lay down a trap and stand there with my shield up as everyone kills themselves trying to hit me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

Picked this up for €9.99 in Gamestop, brand new goty edition for Ps4. Very excited about getting stuck into in a few weeks time

Strange that you would get such a bargain in gamestop of all places :confused::pac::D

Strange that you would get such a bargain in gamestop of all places :confused::pac::D

I know I think it was an error it was taken down again very quickly, got it online

noodler wrote: »
    It really isn't.

Obviously there is no comparison as much as iove the witcher.

Its not an argument its a differing of opinion.

I got a switch for xmas with Zelda and **** me the control in this game is tight, W3 and DS could learn from this (but DS wont). Camera is always where i want it and I dont get hit from enemies i didnt see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I got a switch for xmas with Zelda and **** me the control in this game is tight, W3 and DS could learn from this (but DS wont). Camera is always where i want it and I dont get hit from enemies i didnt see.

Though the story may as well not be there. Decking loved botw though and that's with it being the first Zelda game I ever played. I prefer Witcher which is my favourite ever game but botw isn't far off... they each kind of represent two very different sides of borderline perfect open world gaming experiences.

Well in BOTW you're in big open spaces for the majority of the game, even in dungeons the corridors and rooms are big, so you dont get that cramped camera happening.. In the Soulsborne games, it can happen sometimes, but thats up to you to adjust it as you're in control. If you just run around windmilling in to everything without checking your surroundings, you're gonna get overwhelmed and frustrated and will likely blame it on something lame like a camera angle :)

Only half an hour in but know I'm going to love this already. I killed a few ghouls and it very easy. What difficulty do you guys play on? Mine is set to the second difficulty at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

CWF wrote: »
    Only half an hour in but know I'm going to love this already. I killed a few ghouls and it very easy. What difficulty do you guys play on? Mine is set to the second difficulty at the moment
    Playing on death march with ghost mode mod. Very tough :pac:

Yeah its a cake walk on sword and story (i think its normal?) and below, i started on sword and story but regretted not going with Blood and Broken Bones (hard?). The first couple of big monsters can be actually a lil tough at the start, until you get to grips with the game as theres alot to take in, so its a lil misleading from the get go, then you just rinse everything mostly. But by that point you've already sank a lot of hours and if yer like me, cant be arsed restarting the game.

And also, the game is really long, even without the two DLC's, so doing it on harder modes might prolong the game too much, its hard to tell.

I hate having options though myself, i wish all game developers made and balanced the game around one intended difficulty and slapped it in brackets beside the selection when starting the game, some games have done it ive noticed over the years but not enough..

Then just have easy mode be the cake walk for people who dont play for the challenge, and then a hard mode for people who love to torture themselves with constant frustration :D:pac:

Thanks guys I'll give blood and broken bones a try instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thanks guys I'll give blood and broken bones a try instead.

The game is long enough as it is imo without choosing hard mode (nvm death march!) but each to their own.

noodler wrote: »
    The game is long enough as it is imo without choosing hard mode (nvm death march!) but each to their own.

Yeah that's a fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thinking of giving this one more try. After all it took me three tries to get into the first Red Dead Redemption and learn to love it so after 2 previous failed attempts at this, maybe it'll be third time lucky.

I think it's that I generally enjoy RPG-lite games like how Assassins Creed Odyssey and Horizon Zero Dawn did it in terms of picking armour, applying perks etc. When it gets into crafting potions and consumables, not knowing what to keep/loot or get rid of etc, it just distracts me too much.

I'll give it one more try though. I know if I can get past that and get used to those mechanics I'd probably really enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Penn wrote: »
    I think it's that I generally enjoy RPG-lite games like how Assassins Creed Odyssey and Horizon Zero Dawn did it in terms of picking armour, applying perks etc. When it gets into crafting potions and consumables, not knowing what to keep/loot or get rid of etc, it just distracts me too much.

The alchemy and crafting seems very overwhelming at first but to be honest you could easily complete the game without brewing any potions at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The alchemy and crafting seems very overwhelming at first but to be honest you could easily complete the game without brewing any potions at all.

Yeah it just seems like a huge inventory/crafting/library type of system that was putting me off each time I tried playing the game. Not knowing if I should be looting/collecting everything, what I should prioritise, do I need to read all the notes or are they just background stuff... I never got deep enough into the combat or exploration to really start getting into the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My first playthrough, I only made potions the rare time a quest required it. If you only want to focus on weapons and combat, stick to the Witcher Sets which are quests to find different sets belonging to different schools. Each set will lean towards a certain style like light armour and quick attacks, hefty armour for tanks, etc. If you find a set you like, you can upgrade it multiple times carrying you through the game.

You could just go after a certain set (Google the starting location of each one of you haven't come across them) and you'll be sorted for weapons and armour so you don't have to worry about others clogging up your inventory. The notes are background stuff and you can easily go through the game without reading it all.

I'd recommend playing on normal or even drop to easy for the first few levels while you get used to the combat, go after a Witcher set and then just enjoy the quests instead of worrying about items.

I ignored the crafting altogether and still loved the game

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

First playthrough, I mostly ignored alchemy but did some armour crafting. I enjoyed the treasure quests and the Witcher school armour is very powerful once you get and upgrade it.

For alchemy, I only used a handful of potions. Mainly cat because it made dark caves easier to explore and fight in. Never used decoctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Same as, pretty sure the first time I played through it I never even used a decoction, and only really used 3 or 4 potions (health, mana, night vision and clear potions). Second time through, I tried to make an effort to use other stuff, and could see how useful they were, but didn't like how they made Geralt look.

I'm a melee build in these types of games, so if you stick to the armor sets as mentioned above, you don't need to worry about the rest. I barely even upgraded the signs tbh, Yrden was useful for wraths, Igni I thought would be better, barel used Aard or Axii, but Quen was really useful. On my second playthrough, I did put a few more points into Aard, if only to get the freezing shot, which was awesome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement