Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah story improved a good bit once I started doing Skellige stuff. Still a bit fetch-questy and to-and-fro-ing, but not as bad as it had been.

Only thing that p*ssed me off lately was riding through a town in Velen on my way to a mission, it automatically started me on a new mission where I had to help two guys fight a load of bandits, and I got absolutely creamed out of it because they were all level 35 or so where I'm only 23. Turned out to be the start of one of the DLC missions. Had to load an earlier autosave and avoid the town.

Why it automatically started it I have no idea, I don't even think I took the marker for it from a noticeboard or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Penn wrote: »
    Only thing that p*ssed me off lately was riding through a town in Velen on my way to a mission, it automatically started me on a new mission where I had to help two guys fight a load of bandits, and I got absolutely creamed out of it because they were all level 35 or so where I'm only 23. Turned out to be the start of one of the DLC missions. Had to load an earlier autosave and avoid the town.

Why it automatically started it I have no idea, I don't even think I took the marker for it from a noticeboard or anything.

That happened me on my first playthrough too. Pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That happened me on my first playthrough too. Pain in the hole.

Would you fail the mission if you just leave them?

noodler wrote: »
    Would you fail the mission if you just leave them?

I tried leaving but the gates of the town were closed and I couldn't find a way out, especially because every time I tried to sprint away I'd sprint for a few seconds, then automatically turn and face the enemies again in a combat pose. I guess since it's the first mission of the DLC, you can't fail it or leave it. That's why I had to load an earlier autosave so it never started in the first place.

I guess I'm in the final few missions now.
    Did the Isle of Mists (f*cking narcoleptic dwarf...) and Battle of Kaer Morhen last night. About to start going after the Wild Hunt with Ciri.
    Looking forward to finishing the story, play a bit more Gwent, then I'll likely move on to something else for a while. Come back and do more side stuff and the DLC at a later stage.

I guess I'm in the final few missions now.
    Did the Isle of Mists (f*cking narcoleptic dwarf...) and Battle of Kaer Morhen last night. About to start going after the Wild Hunt with Ciri.
    Looking forward to finishing the story, play a bit more Gwent, then I'll likely move on to something else for a while. Come back and do more side stuff and the DLC at a later stage.

Still struggling to finish this off. Game reverted back to "mission which splits into four sub-missions some of which have several parts" so I'm still not finished. Plus I decided to do the high-stakes Gwent tournament (Spy cards... spy cards everywhere...) too.

Overall, it's a great game. I did really enjoy it for the most part when I got into it. There are some great characters and story bits in it. The combat can be fun, the enemies are varied (though too many drowners) and while the inventory/alchemy seems daunting at first, yeah you can pretty easily dismiss most of it.

But f*ck me some parts of the mission structures can be atrocious and really off-putting. Looting can be a pain in the jacksy. Human enemies who shoot arrows at you can f*ck right off. Too few skill slots meaning you'll never experience most of them. Roach did not live up to my expectations, especially when he comes to a complete stop when near a tree, and can't jump over small fences/rocks.

It's a great game and I can see why so many people like it, but for me I think there were many issues which ultimately frustrated and annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Human enemies who shoot arrows at you can f*ck right off.

I'm ignoring the rest to focus on this. Parry the arrows, and you can even unlock the ability to send them back. Makes a big difference, especially if you get one perfectly timed in the middle of a melee combo on another enemy. Just looks badass!

I'm ignoring the rest to focus on this. Parry the arrows, and you can even unlock the ability to send them back. Makes a big difference, especially if you get one perfectly timed in the middle of a melee combo on another enemy. Just looks badass!

I can parry the arrows. The only trouble is they shoot when you're in the middle of attacking someone else, there's no obvious warning they're about to shoot, half the time you can't see where they are, and the arrows take a huge chunk of health. I was in an area last night with probably about 6 or 7 melee enemies at the same time, could hold my own against them, but then I'd be hit with an arrow from someone who I can't even see, or they hit me from behind so parrying doesn't do anything.

I'd say two guys with crossbows did more damage to me in that fight than the maybe 12 or so fairly high level melee enemies I had to face in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Always, always focus on circling around to take out archers first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

they should have given a practical way of getting rid of the arrows. The crossbow and bombs are not strong enough.

I dodge and roll around until I get near the archer and deal with it that way

I ignore the others and charge the archers if I can see them right away, but that's not the only way. You can time their arrows and hold up active quen if you need. Or you can put the melee enemies between you and the archers and make them kill their own. But ignoring them and just swinging your sword and you're gonna have a baaad time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Winds howlin...

Finished the story Friday night. From looking online, seems I got the best ending
    Ciri lived and became a witcher, even though it seems I shouldn't have gotten that ending since I brought her to see her father which should have made her become empress.

I'll return to the game further down the line for the dlcs and stuff. Glad I did push through and finally play the game properly. It is ultimately a great game despite my complaints about it. I think maybe if I wasn't so eager to finish it and be done with it, and instead had more time to want to do more side stuff, the padding of main story quests and constant distractions wouldn't have bothered me as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I don't recognise the guy beside Roach, the two behind Cerys, the guy with the fox and the two behind Ciri. Also, is the ogre/troll thing Bart?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I wasn't aware of that Polish law that's quoted in your link but tbh now that Ive seen it the case has gone from author chancing his arm to an open and shut case of him being owed more money imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'd expect thousands of his book sales are a direct result of the game doing so well. I for one, would never have heard of them or had interest in them if it wasn't for CDPR.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thargor wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that Polish law that's quoted in your link but tbh now that Ive seen it the case has gone from author chancing his arm to an open and shut case of him being owed more money imo.

You don't just sign away the rights of your books though, you don't know what will happen in the future, you have too protect yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭CWF

If you fail a mission is that it? Can you redo it? Still in white orchard going to do more quests before going to Velen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

For most yes, but for some side missions you can hard fail them.

E.g. if you have to help some kid from some goons trying to kill him, but also have a side mission where you have to beat him at Gwent. You will still get the Gwent card randomly from a different NPC so no loss there, but you will never have the chance to beat the chungfella, so will fail that side mission outright.

Small spoiler - failing some of these, or making certain choices in them, will have a drastic impact on the games ending. Its a great thing though, engaging the side quests and how they impact the overall game is in my opinion, what elevates this from an excellent 9 out of 10 type game to (imo) the greatest game I have ever played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Some samples from Netflix's The Witcher featuring Henry Cavill as Geralt.

65274089_2412149448805897_7604066110954012672_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeF9ctlE8QVhO-5P-mHvPCKAdiquyH7Zy5n7fK8FSTr8Cr0twmGDnCPZ2ZqXuLaiAZ-YvgA9mNW9Z_i-_Smnp93SpCyLP_zP4YDzB8LLyeuttg&_nc_oc=AQkIgTOWdtxSlsmQJbFb24mRCkHk4t5dpyjLgBGu4hiBLJeCovof4CZnSvOPhKSagHA&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d682fab4e4f492cb147b37b56cb77c26&oe=5D7E1AD4
    66062394_2412150072139168_1103370230689693696_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeEHVFJFODCqfGo_fPiks-5X3bKUA4YPicQXXz42nqvzoyc4tQx9LtH1FOsVN7uSIUXi5YTwEHBV5RZ-tNjZ21xa_-V-slOiyeH_8ZBU-DkKYQ&_nc_oc=AQlnktEfLy1ND6GX9q14Vhrlp3XlLV18KK1zNwHd0cBLMyjpCGv7DDz6AfswcCtbBnY&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c423a92d9343f9526e3b6612ec90d44f&oe=5DB7491E

Yennefer:

65629275_2412150622139113_6429700143875883008_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeH6G4sjAjfs4VAysOVib20R6ZIAp6rcd1Bl5uEq7m-CdfRd1vkgDqN3wIq_1Ajqn2iLdvJMkgod9DYEqRE7_ooJ5eYgYM4RWiqv83HNBtXh5w&_nc_oc=AQmc51KxDqoN3ncqVFGeG_JIEuh8bXLU5YBn_Fr0_KEXQfMcG64j4uwEv_MyPWVjRK0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=f06188e7c8df7f1123aaf819e35a4d51&oe=5DB1453A
    65717634_2412150445472464_4351956504086052864_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeFhYTjBe_nD7lKfxhTuphMRYBal21RNqxhdJ8CiZBdNipdtMfp8hXDcAElIYUXlpBKUx-CjcT425FVO3rrY0ZrNx84-0_sdFCKlzfgIWpiAYw&_nc_oc=AQnbNM3X9V1YJtp-bvl7Y3p604jSBzurwonASGzF_6LjLCdsV52-8Q2T6kTliFu5hcU&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a3ecc0a9dde3240b35533d9ad5aca1f3&oe=5DB88532

Ciri:
    65620219_2412149265472582_5864265620593311744_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeFBUHBvttVTDT5gM-LMrFfb55Wy6uSNE9HWo7c0YpuSObL7W02nB2KgVRTn7tMHwrMOB0fGV1gGA0vxgg1Umpz5Hjp2bETVxzEoIhmc7QOvIQ&_nc_oc=AQnkiAjoIfc4N3WLWWD3rYWP3YEscR6sbrEJFYg36lTiqfk3yPDTz-pTCl_SdCJ_XYg&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=a9c3ba68a2df210823cf8ad25bf0124e&oe=5D81512C
    66176038_2412148775472631_187153590765223936_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_eui2=AeEMH8LcILgqsEKbdpRuR3KZgITKfKFlO2zMu0k6vCn1Fssspa6ZhrdHC7y97lIqYQfpFbWLh_oCmN9y3tkyYkDte7ivlZElpmESEQOlm5Yv2A&_nc_oc=AQkx5V-z-ypFSWNbppJEBebCgiqF4de8BXDRFU2XJOPW7W9U7ag2BWSJ5Ke21UWpGu0&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ea9e46c89d028e2a8f176ba782fe7a62&oe=5D83BD0E

Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****Pleasedon'tbe****

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thinking of playing this again. Already beaten it twice, 2nd time on hardest difficulty and for all the trophies. I hadn't tried new game plus but saw this review of it and the guy wasn't impressed at all. Would ye do ng+ or new game from scratch?

https://tay.kinja.com/the-witcher-3s-new-game-plus-is-bad-1821033215

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Thinking of playing this again. Already beaten it twice, 2nd time on hardest difficulty and for all the trophies. I hadn't tried new game plus but saw this review of it and the guy wasn't impressed at all. Would ye do ng+ or new game from scratch?

https://tay.kinja.com/the-witcher-3s-new-game-plus-is-bad-1821033215

Skimmed that article... is that not how all ng+ games work? Boosted stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Skimmed that article... is that not how all ng+ games work? Boosted stats?

Yeah but it sounded like all the cool gear becomes redundant fairly quick and you go back to generic weapons and armour as it's more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Cool that they committed to the eye colours.

FTFY

rkfhq6zjzp731.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Is that Roach on the house?

I really hope they throw in random Easter eggs like that. I know it's based on the books, but even just one shot where Roach is off in the distance, standing on a roof would be excellent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement