Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder are they restricted in what they can do regards similarities/references to the games. CDPR likely have ownership of certain things in the games that weren't necessarily in the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Let's hope that tagline isn't referring to the show........

Costume designers should be hanged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Rob2D wrote: »
    Let's hope that tagline isn't referring to the show........

Costume designers should be hanged.

I'm really curious about this, and tried to get an answer on Reddit.

What exactly is wrong with the costumes? While I wasn't a big fan of the book, I recall Geralt sticking to plain, simple leather with allowed for motion over actual armour?

It looks very similar to the gear in the Witcher 3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sonics2k wrote: »

What exactly is wrong with the costumes? While I wasn't a big fan of the book, I recall Geralt sticking to plain, simple leather with allowed for motion over actual armour?

Think it looks excellent. Not sure what people were expecting.

I think some pictures of soldiers armour surfaced and it looked nothing like how it did in the game. My understanding is that it looks like it's described in the books and some people aren't happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,199 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah, the Nilfgaardian armour does look kinda silly but they're army grunts so whatever...

Jnp17fVl.jpg

You want to nail the looks of the main cast really and Geralt looks great, so does Yenn.

Like Game of Thrones, everyone paid attention to Jon's armour or Dany's outfits, no-one really cared about the background extras attire.

Ah yeah I remember that.

I'm really baffled by the sudden Doom Sayers though. We've seen like 6-7 promo pictures and suddenly this is going to flop?

I'm not expecting the show to break grounds and be the new Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, but considering the involvement of CDPR and Sapkowski, as well as casting a lead who absolutely loves the entire series, I think it's going to be quite good.

It just looks a bit miserable. And those look like the work trousers you buy in Aldi.

Anyone else notice he only has one sword?.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

J. Marston wrote: »
    You want to nail the looks of the main cast really and Geralt looks great, so does Yenn.

Yennefer is very pale skinned in both the games and the books, so I dunno how you think they nailed her look, presumably the whiteness of a polish fantasy setting was problematic

There was no mention of her having a jaw like Jimmy Hill either :D

OSI wrote: »
    That's another book vs game thing. ie he carries 2 swords in the game as a convenience mechanic rather than a longstanding character trait.

I've read the books and still didn't realise. Game imagery so strong in the mind.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Yennefer is very pale skinned in both the games and the books, so I dunno how you think they nailed her look, presumably the whiteness of a polish fantasy setting was problematic

There was no mention of her having a jaw like Jimmy Hill either :D

Is she that pale in the books? I honestly (and I'm not winding you up here) don't remember that.
    "A pale triangular face, violet eyes and narrow, slightly contorted lips appeared beneath the black tresses...She had pretty shoulders, a shapely neck and, around it, a black velvet choker with a star-shaped jewel sparkling with diamonds. "

" The sorceress finished fastening the straps of her slippers and stood up. Even in high heels, she wasn't impressively tall. She shook her hair which, he found, had retained its picturesque, dishevelled and curling disarray despite the furious combing. "

" How ravishing she is, he thought. Everything about her is ravishing. And menacing. Those colors of hers; that contrast of black and white. Beauty and menace. Her raven-black, natural curls. Her cheekbones, pronounced, emphasising a wrinkle, which her smile – if she deigned to smile – created beside her mouth, wonderfully narrow and pale beneath her lipstick. Her eyebrows, wonderfully irregular, when she washed off the kohl that outlined them during the day. Her nose, exquisitely too long. Her delicate hands, wonderfully nervous, restless and adroit. Her waist, willowy and slender, emphasised by an excessively tightened belt. Slim legs, setting in motion the flowing shapes of her black skirt. Ravishing."

"At the same time, she experienced a burning envy. Yennefer was very beautiful. Compared to the delicate, pale and rather common comeliness of the priestesses and novices who Ciri saw every day, the magician glowed with a conscious, even demonstrative loveliness, emphasised and accentuated in every detail. Her raven-black locks cascading down her shoulders shone, reflected the light like the feathers of a peacock, curling and undulating with every move. Ciri suddenly felt ashamed, ashamed of her grazed elbows, chapped hands, broken nails, her ashen, stringy hair. All of a sudden, she had an overwhelming desire to possess what Yennefer had—a beautiful, exposed neck and on it a lovely black velvet ribbon with a lovely glittering star. Regular eyebrows, accentuated with charcoal, and long eyelashes. Proud lips. And those two mounds which rose with every breath, hugged by black cloth and white lace . . . (...) Ciri shuddered and hunched her shoulders. No, she did not envy Yennefer that one thing—did not desire to have it or even look at it. Those eyes, violet, deep as a fathomless lake, strangely bright, dispassionate and malefic. Terrifying."

The actress, English/Indian is also quite pale. I suspect the colouring on the poster makes her seem darker than she is.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9923141/

Oh, I stand corrected! Depending on the book, Yennefer can be described as 'very pale'

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Yennefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is she that pale in the books? I honestly (and I'm not winding you up here) don't remember that.

The actress, English/Indian is also quite pale. I suspect the colouring on the poster makes her seem darker than she is.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm9923141/

Oh, I stand corrected! Depending on the book, Yennefer can be described as 'very pale'

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Yennefer

The girl ain't pale by any stretch.

She also has weirdly proportioned features, kind like Penelope Cruz. She's just a bad fit for a character like Yennefer but I don't have high hopes for any of this. Netflix has a knack for churning out competent but still crap content

I think Yenn looks great judging by that pic. The eyes, looks, outfit, a slightly darker skin tone doesn't bother me.

You don't need to follow original source descriptions to the letter. Fewer people may have watched Game of Thrones if Tyrion looked like he was supposed to!

main-qimg-98af74efce40176d578ebfaec2186a9a.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I think the issue people are having with it is that they already have a visual image of the main characters, so whats the point in ****ing with that to keep another group of moany fecks who probably wont even watch the bloody thing happy :)

I do think she looks fairly crappy, barely enough meat on her to fill her costume, but thats more of a costume issue if you ask me, Gerlats looks **** too, its too clean, the chap roles around in muck and sh!te fighting monsters for a living, Cavil looks like hes off to the races.. :pac:

But eh, I'd be more worried about the backlash from how Triss is gonna look, im expecting a social media whinge-athon..

nix wrote: »
    barely enough meat on her to fill her costume

She doesn't seem "tough" enough to play Yen, y'know? Yen is a woman who would eat you soon as look at you. But this chick looks more like a young girl who found her mom's fur coat. I don't think the skin tone is that bad though.

Henry looks "fine" I guess. Maybe could have been a bit leaner for the role. He still has some of that Superman bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think when it comes to things like this, performance has to override throwaway and unimportant character descriptions in the source material. If the best person they auditioned for the role is dark-skinned rather than pale, go for it. If she's a bit scrawnier rather than tough, go for it (she mostly uses magic and stuff and it'll come down to stunt choreography anyway).

I know people have their own idea of what the character looks like whether it's based on the books or the game, but if she can portray the character well through her portrayal rather than her appearance, that's more vital to the success of the character and show, and I appreciate the showrunners casting someone who may not fit the description to the letter but rather who they feel can best be Yennefer.

Far, far too early to make a judgement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Just hope they have paid the money for CDPR's music!

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Just hope they have paid the money for CDPR's music!

Unlikely, unfortunately. Doesn't the author have beef with CDPR? He probably wants little of this to do with the game.

Plus Netflix won't pay for the rights. There was a hubbub recently because they skimped on the rights to a song from Evangelion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got back into this last night after a year hiatus, playing Blood & Wine
    did the quest where roach talks
    brilliant :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Thinking of playing this again. Already beaten it twice, 2nd time on hardest difficulty and for all the trophies. I hadn't tried new game plus but saw this review of it and the guy wasn't impressed at all. Would ye do ng+ or new game from scratch?

https://tay.kinja.com/the-witcher-3s-new-game-plus-is-bad-1821033215

You start with everything you have in Corvo Bianco except for diagrams, most of your mutagens and quest items. You'll lose anything not in your chest or inventory such as hung paintings and displayed armour/weapons. You'll keep your gold and abilities.

You'll start at whatever level you ended at and enemies will by buffed by the same amount. That means that if you were level 50 at the end, the first bunch of enemies you meet will be level 50 (or 51 if they were level 1. I can't remember).

In terms of gameplay, it's a lot of fun since you start out with all your abilities. The master-crafted gear does become obsolete after around 15 levels unfortunately so you need to find the diagrams all over again for Legendary versions of the armour/swords.

I would recommend increasing the difficulty to Death March since combat gets a bit easy when you're used to the moves and are comfortable managing your abilities and potions. It's a lot easier than it sounds when you use Quen and dodge but you can be insta-killed by bandits if they bonk you on the back of the head with a mace.

It's also well worth it to see the different ways that your story could have gone. In my first playthrough, Geralt was a very ethical guy who only had eyes for Yen and went to bed early when the boys were drinking in Kaer Morhen to avoid being hungover. Now, he's a cnut who'll plough anything that gives him the right dialogue option. There are lots of missions in the game that you can miss in the first playthrough and a second one lets you cover those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Glebee

I still have to play Blood and Wine but just cant get back into it. I lost my game save after completing the last expansion but my previous completed quests are not showing as completed. I can create a new character to play Blood and Wine but my map is full of question marks for undiscovered areas and its doing my head in. Completely turning me off playing Blood and Wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,140 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe see if you can get a save file off the web with the main areas completed and continue from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Glebee wrote: »
    map is full of question marks for undiscovered areas and its doing my head in. Completely turning me off playing Blood and Wine.

Isn't there a toggle for that? Or was that a mod I installed maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

To be honest, when you hit blood and wine you go to a new zone and dont really go back to the other zones, unless yer going to that vendor/smith. But if you just want to tackle the blood and wine content, its no big whoop..

Now if yer doing the other DLC, then it might become an issue as thats set across the main game zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Aw how'd I miss that? I made sure I crossed off a few "Best moments in Blood and Wine" lists aswell after Id finished it just to make sure I didnt miss anything, just watched the whole thing on Youtube there. Did they add other stuff later? Blood and Wine really is the greatest expansion/DLC in gaming history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Everybody, meet Roach!

67171344_1984072278361486_4107159482931347456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQnL0J-8M02nRlrc53ymrG78NbMjQ1eiBhielLElFdzegZVlXFYRxF2pPUVttEZb9Ew&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=8b6b5669b962c2d68d789b63fdd9c3c0&oe=5DA1575B

66793513_2438799949474180_2901451348492943360_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQnmtCCc8d3IHrXFKKa4Z7nn-1sno7RorJJ4JIqk6jpzB4x7IL4ym6VJkXF6m4XQL-8&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=787f05762fca8922fc179858c6e16864&oe=5DEAF6F0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Excellent horse casting. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement