Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Comments

voluntary wrote: »
    I got both Witcher 1 and Witcher 2 in some good deal quite recently and must say I really enjoyed both. Witcher 1 is superb, at least on PC.
    Don't skip it!

I've tried it 3 times and just abandon it, bored, every time I get to the same stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

voluntary wrote: »
    Witcher 1 is superb, at least on PC.
    Don't skip it!

It only came out on PC

Does anyone know if they have a 2nd game that they are working alongside of with CP2077?
    The same way that they were working on CP2077 when working on W3 but had to divert staff from

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RedRochey wrote: »
    Guess the studio has been working on Cyberpunk for a good while

8 years since it was first announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Playing KOTOR for the first time atm and it reminds me alot of Witcher 1. Similar type of janky combat and running around back and forth between objectives. Like the Witcher 1 and liking KOTOR so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just started playing this recently, played 2, and have played a lot of Gwent since it's Beta. Was excited to try III but my old laptop definitely could not handle it. Got a new PC recently and it runs it on ultra no bother. Just asfantastic as expected, though I have had to back track a couple times to previous saves as I hit some missions way too early on [Family matters, A walk in the dark ... to name 2 in particular]

Heading toward level 5 now so should find those a little easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The standalone Gwent game is on steam now: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1284410/GWENT_The_Witcher_Card_Game/

I'm actually able to play it off my phone again. Galaxy does not work on my system anymore.

I don't think achievements cross over from GOG to Steam? Otherwise I'd switch my acc, have way too many hours clocked up and too many achievements to lose - also I like my 'Pioneer' title :D

You won't lose your gog achievements by playing the steam/phone versions, you'll just unlock duplicates on steam I guess. The unlockable 'titles' that you can put near your name are cross-platform, just like any in-game content I think.

You won't lose your gog achievements by playing the steam/phone versions, you'll just unlock duplicates on steam I guess. The unlockable 'titles' that you can put near your name are cross-platform, just like any in-game content I think.

Must have another look into it, though only advantage is to have Gwent in the same place as other games, and with GOG 2.0 I have that already really

Yeah if it's already installed on your system then there's no point installing the steam version. The Android/GOG/Steam version uses your GOG account though so you can carry that account over which gives the user a nice unified experience wherever they are. iPhone users have to have separate account because of apple's walled garden store however.

Galaxy stopped working for me one day and 2.0 doesn't work either (linux) so I just dropped their whole store (used to buy from them all the time). The steam client works great though and the proton compatibility feature lets Gwent run on it so I'm just glad to see the graphics on a big screen rather than my small phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Finally finished the main story last night after 12 months on and off.

Best game I've ever played

Finally finished the main story last night after 12 months on and off.

Best game I've ever played

How are you coping with the feeling of emptiness?

How are you coping with the feeling of emptiness?

You know what, I'm not too bad

Still have the dlc and loads of ? to get

You know what, I'm not too bad

Still have the dlc and loads of ? to get

Good stuff! The DLCs are unreal. I'd recommend playing Hearts of Stone first if you are going to venture into the DLCs.

As for the '?' around the maps, I try to clear them all except the 7 million scattered around Skellige's waters, there's just too much effort there for so little reward.

My OCD drew the line with the Skellige ones

Getting into deeper into it now, almost level 10 and got through the main quests I was avoiding. I probably went against many others in how I played family matters but I enjoyed it, and a walk in the dark was a breeze once I'd leveled and gathered a bunch of potions and better weapons. Spent many hours just running around collecting and finding treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Started this from the beginning again last night, see you all in a few months! :D

Its the random encounters that are the best. You'd me off riding Roach to some quest point......6 hours later and you still haven't got there

Its the random encounters that are the best. You'd me off riding Roach to some quest point......6 hours later and you still haven't got there

Yup one minute "Have you seen an Ashen haired girl?" 5 minutes later you're atop a tower slashing Harpies, diving to the bottom of a lake because you hit Witcher senses and saw a gold shimmer somewhere down there ... or just looking for a frying pan :D.

SO many distractions, it's great :)

Good stuff! The DLCs are unreal. I'd recommend playing Hearts of Stone first if you are going to venture into the DLCs.

As for the '?' around the maps, I try to clear them all except the 7 million scattered around Skellige's waters, there's just too much effort there for so little reward.

Just bought it for €4 :)

• Advertisement

Is it best to complete the main story before grabbing the DLC?

Apparently so.

Never got a chance to take my Mastercrafted Urisine gear for a proper spin yet.

Anyone else just starting this game out? or even afresh? just wondering what level you're at and how long it took to get there? Also what difficulty you're playing on, I just went for normal and earlier stages were tough, but it's getting much easier, maybe a switch up to the next level. I am currently just about level 10 and Steam tells me I've played 30 hours :D A LOT of that was aimlessly wandering about exploring, I probably left the game idle for at least a couple of that too - but yeah, definitely taking my time

I'm sure if I started a fresh game I'd run through the early stages a hell of a lot faster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Anyone else just starting this game out? or even afresh? just wondering what level you're at and how long it took to get there? Also what difficulty you're playing on, I just went for normal and earlier stages were tough, but it's getting much easier, maybe a switch up to the next level. I am currently just about level 10 and Steam tells me I've played 30 hours :D A LOT of that was aimlessly wandering about exploring, I probably left the game idle for at least a couple of that too - but yeah, definitely taking my time

I'm sure if I started a fresh game I'd run through the early stages a hell of a lot faster
    I found the early levels tough too at first. Once you get your swallow potion up and running and exploit Quen, you're flying.

Any subsequent play throughs, i ban the use of quen + witcher gear.

Makes it a cake walk even on Death March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah the witcher 3 is one of those games that gets MUCH easier the more you progress, you open up more abilities that make the game far too easy for the most part.

Also using potions and so forth to enhance your stats and heal is something a lot might overlook in the early stages, you can reset/replenish your alchemy potions pretty much anywhere by just meditating.

nix wrote: »
    Yeah the witcher 3 is one of those games that gets MUCH easier the more you progress, you open up more abilities that make the game far too easy for the most part.

Also using potions and so forth to enhance your stats and heal is something a lot might overlook in the early stages, you can reset/replenish your alchemy potions pretty much anywhere by just meditating.

I used a mod to increase the complexity of the alchemy system with options based on how you wanted it to behave. Made it quite enjoyable. For example you don't just chug some beer and all your potions are back. You could set it to needing all the ingredients or perhaps just the base of it. Meditating actually required a fire nearby or wood in your inventory.

Combined with this mod created a very immersive experience. I think I had some potion and oil mods on too.

I used a mod to increase the complexity of the alchemy system with options based on how you wanted it to behave. Made it quite enjoyable. For example you don't just chug some beer and all your potions are back. You could set it to needing all the ingredients or perhaps just the base of it. Meditating actually required a fire nearby or wood in your inventory.

Combined with this mod created a very immersive experience. I think I had some potion and oil mods on too.

Surely just playing on death march would do the trick to make it tougher?

On my way to level 12 now btw, had a good session of it tonight, Zoltan and whores mostly

Surely just playing on death march would do the trick to make it tougher?

Absolutely not. Mods increased the complexity and ability to immerse, not outright make it harder. You could always get the ingredients one way or another, wood is common, fires are common. It changed it from an absolute no-brainer drink some alochol vs actaully do something.

Death March difficulty changes how hard combat was in direct numbers like with damage etc. It didn't change how the core game mechanics worked at all. I actually used a few other mods to increase immersion and somewhat difficulty. Remove minimap, fast travel and Geralt spoiling when there was magic walls. I actually had to listen to where characters told me to go and use the skies to locate north. I allowed minimap fade-in during witcher senses use because there were times when you actually needed it. All these mods came together to make a very nice, slow experience that fit with the life of a Witcher imo :)

Absolutely not. Mods increased the complexity and ability to immerse, not outright make it harder. You could always get the ingredients one way or another, wood is common, fires are common. It changed it from an absolute no-brainer drink some alochol vs actaully do something.

Death March difficulty changes how hard combat was in direct numbers like with damage etc. It didn't change how the core game mechanics worked at all. I actually used a few other mods to increase immersion and somewhat difficulty. Remove minimap, fast travel and Geralt spoiling when there was magic walls. I actually had to listen to where characters told me to go and use the skies to locate north. I allowed minimap fade-in during witcher senses use because there were times when you actually needed it. All these mods came together to make a very nice, slow experience that fit with the life of a Witcher imo :)

You like it hardcore then, me ... I would find a lot of that infuriating! But I do get it, I know there those who must play games on the highest difficulty [plus any extra suffering they can bestow upon themselves] - they love the challenge; me, I like to get through a game without feeling punished every 5 minutes :D each to their own, but this one is much more about the story for me.

• Advertisement

As I said though it didn't give a huge bump in difficulty and finding things like ingredients and wood were not really a challenge. The main point for 90% of modding any game for me is immersion. The ability to get really lost in the game. If a mod was making me feel punished every 5 minutes I'd uninstall it. Death March was more punishing than the kind of mods I mentioned.

Advertisement