Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Some of the latest biggest 'leaks' have been on console, actually. GTAV leaked on torrents site for last generation consoles a week before official release I remember reading.

Also, someone criticising Kotaku's review of TW3 https://medium.com/@adrianchm/the-boy-who-cried-white-wolf-on-polygon-s-the-witcher-3-review-f7ac8d7f0a5

To save you a click , it's more gamergate nonsense. That stuff needs to die in a fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

To save you a click , it's more gamergate nonsense. That stuff needs to die in a fire.

In fairness he has a point. It's a bad review because the biggest fault the reviewer had with the game is that it's misogynistic, because some women get killed. Does he think Cod or Battlefield or the hundreds of other games were men get slaughtered are oppressively misandirst?

Don't review a game if you're going to let your biases prevent you from being objective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't review a game if you're going to let your biases prevent you from being objective.

*typing fingers starts involuntarily twitching*

Must...resist... Reviews... Not... Objective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

In fairness he has a point. It's a bad review because the biggest fault the reviewer had with the game is that it's misogynistic, because women get killed. Does he think Cod or Battlefield are misandirst?

Also no blacks in a medieval European setting, cause we all know medieval europe was 50% black

reviews are opinion pieces, and are of course coloured by the reviewers personal values.I just get upset that both sides of the whole 'equality for all ' brigade keep pushing their issues into my chosen medium that I use to take a break from the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Your 'chosen medium' is a product of the real world, of creators with their own histories and motivations, of an incredibly diverse playerbase who will all perceive a game differently and respond accordingly. To demand it be a mere escape is to devalue it, to limit its potential and ignore the aspects that can enhance our understanding of it. Games, like any medium, cannot entirely divorce themselves of their social and political contexts, especially when they opt to directly address or portray them within the gameworld as The Witcher 3 by all accounts seems to do. Therefore creators and players both need to be willing to engage, confront and challenge them, even if this will inevitably lead to differences of opinion. And that's what's needed for your chosen medium to grow and develop, to become something more rewarding than mere escapism. You don't have to agree, and there's no shortage of alternative opinions out there about the game already. But people shouldn't be discouraged from voicing their own response to a game because some people aren't interested or reject the conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

But people shouldn't be discouraged from voicing their own response to a game because some people aren't interested or reject the conclusion.

I agree with all you've said but... why mention this? Nobody's discouraging anyone from voicing an opinion about games.

Your 'chosen medium' is a product of the real world, of creators with their own histories and motivations, of an incredibly diverse playerbase who will all perceive a game differently and respond accordingly. To demand it be a mere escape is to devalue it, to limit its potential and ignore the aspects that can enhance our understanding of it. Games, like any medium, cannot entirely divorce themselves of their social and political contexts, especially when they opt to directly address or portray them within the gameworld as The Witcher 3 by all accounts seems to do. Therefore creators and players both need to be willing to engage, confront and challenge them, even if this will inevitably lead to differences of opinion. And that's what's needed for your chosen medium to grow and develop, to become something more rewarding than mere escapism. You don't have to agree, and there's no shortage of alternative opinions out there about the game already. But people shouldn't be discouraged from voicing their own response to a game because some people aren't interested or reject the conclusion.

I think you've picked me up wrong, I don't care if my games / movies /books / whatever are seen as misogynistic, femininist, racist or progressive. I 'll evaluate and enjoy them for their own merits and failings, I just cringe when I see others using them to push their own ideals or using them as an opportunity to take a shot at someone else's moral standing. It's a form of grandstanding to a community being perpetrated by both sides.

anyway, if I wanted to get mired down in this craic I'd go to the other thread that was floating around. I came to hear about the witcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Pre-order has been charged. 11pm on the 18th is when it unlocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Pre-order has been charged. 11pm on the 18th is when it unlocks.

Someone was saying it was set at 7pm on Monday. If so, boo-urns!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

May 18th, 4.00 pm PT (Los Angeles)
    May 18th, 7.00 pm ET (New York)
    May 19th, 00.00 am BT (London)
    May 19th, 2.00 am UT (Moscow)
    May 19th, 8.00 am JT (Tokyo)

According to RPS.

The email I got from Sony when they charged the money said 11pm. The countdown on the ps4 is for midnight. Seeing as I'm in Austria I won't be playing until 1am then. That sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wonder will the ol' timezone clock setting switcheroo work :)

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I wonder will the ol' timezone clock setting switcheroo work :)

You know, I had that thought too. Didn't change anything for me unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Can anyone confirm if the good guys are well-spoken with white skin and flowing, European hair, and the bad guys have East London accents and knotted braids. I love those types of fantasy games. They really immerse me in their otherworldliness.

Can anyone confirm if the good guys are well-spoken with white skin and flowing, European hair, and the bad guys have East London accents and knotted braids. I love those types of fantasy games. They really immerse me in their otherworldliness.

What exactly is European hair?

It's that type of smooth, elegant hair that moves with grace and good manners, like Legolas or Andrea Pirlo.

It's that type of smooth, elegant hair that moves with grace and good manners, like Legolas or Andrea Pirlo.

And why is it european?

And why is it european?

It's fair ok, not touched by the gnome tainted by the curse of ham.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

What exactly is European hair?

Rmj2TP9.jpg

• Advertisement

And why is it european?

I was trying to poke fun at the fact the a lot of fantasy games/movies are populated by articulate white-skinned Germanic-hero types who do battle with dark-skinned grunts with working-class accents. It's laughable, and I was trying to laugh at it. But well done on killing my attempt at humour stone-dead. You, pedantry and boredom win. I lose. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I was trying to poke fun....

We know. No point in getting pissy at us because you failed..... :P

Kirby wrote: »
    We know. No point in getting pissy at us because you failed..... :P

I+literaly+said+quot+is+that+weird+al+quot+just+as+i+_81520922a94f22b9d1623cc8675498f1.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ztvnpk.gif

lol :D

ztvnpk.gif

lol :D

Uggh that motion blur, I feel sorry for you console players

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

gravehold wrote: »
    Uggh that motion blur, I feel sorry for you console players

Give it a rest would ya

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I quite like the motion blur effect. I usually leave it on. Witcher 2 had a ton of motion blur. :P

Give a rest would ya

What that is excessive motion blur, I have always thought consoles should allow you to turn off blur and dof.

It's not a graphics superiority thing as they are more taxing on then off. Why don't consoles let you have the choice on those things

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus you do realise when we play the game, it won't look like a compressed 3 second gif, even on smelly consoles??

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Jaysus you do realise when we play the game, it won't look like a compressed 3 second gif, even on smelly consoles??

Motion blur will still be there on consoles, this is not a graphics power thing as motion blur is more taxing on.

Dof and blur should be a option to turn off on every game even on consoles, it might even help with the consoles terrible framerates and the dips below 30

Advertisement