Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enough of the PC vs console silliness, it just pollutes threads. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I was trying to poke fun at the fact the a lot of fantasy games/movies are populated by articulate white-skinned Germanic-hero types who do battle with dark-skinned grunts with working-class accents. It's laughable, and I was trying to laugh at it. But well done on killing my attempt at humour stone-dead. You, pedantry and boredom win. I lose. Congrats.

Witcher 2 on Xbox had a fair amount of Irish actors providing voiceovers.
    Remember one part walking through a castle courtyard and hearing a coup!e of strong Dublin accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Remember one part walking through a castle courtyard and hearing a coup!e of strong Dublin accents.

Ah that's gas. I love that diversity. Fantasy is usually full of the same tired caricatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

The different kingdoms had different accents; Kaedwen were Irish, Temeria were southern England, Redenia were northern England, Aedirn were Welsh, the dwarves are scottish and I think Nilfgaard were supposed to be German, at least the ambassador Fitz-Oesterlen is in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Cheapest price US psn or??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was playing it last night. I was Flotsam & there were villagers talking about spuds. :pac:
    Although its fairly overwhelming I have only gotten as far as the Karyan boss fight & I'm afraid to fight it even though I'm ready :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Skerries wrote: »

They both look excellent to me. PS4 seems to have better AA, PC has better texturing and lighting though. You'd have to be a real arse to complain tbh.

Now we just need the world to be as fleshy as promised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

They both look excellent to me. PS4 seems to have better AA, PC has better texturing and lighting though. You'd have to be a real arse to complain tbh.

Now we just need the world to be as fleshy as promised

The main issues are the downgrades, this is like watchdogs all over again. Stings more cause cdpr hell the game looks worse the witcher 2.

They have said the graphics will be better with the release patch but I still don't think it will be as good as last years e3 stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Well, I think the point is that it shouldn't be a toss up between the two.

It should be like night and day.

I'm playing through the Witcher 1 again, so I'm hardly that bothered by the graphics, but it's irritating that you're seeing the PR goons trying to pretend like they aint dun nuffin.

Rockstar, despite their patchy recent endeavours in PC versions, have apparently knocked it out of the park with GTA5 on PC.
    They made enough money off the console version to drown a village in caviar and heroin.
    Then took their sweet time on the PC version and, despite people moaning about delays to the tune of a year, it sold like hot cakes again on PC.

It's a bit of a different situation, with the sales of GTA5 being more than CDPR could ever even imagine, but I think it validates the idea that you don't have to make games to the lowest common technical denominator and that bad press about delays won't kill a game.

It'll probably make a killing on PC, so the devs or at least the money men in charge of them won't give a ****, but it'll be disappointing that they didn't deliver on all they promised.
    Impressive if they've managed to include as much content as has been suggested, but disappointing on the technical (and PR) side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

How can you possibly do a comparison on YouTube.....

The only thing this video shows is how much of a downgrade the game is (no matter what platform) to what they've shown at E3 last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks great on both, with the pc winning on textures and probably lighting. You'd have to actually go looking for it though, to really notice it.

That said, the pc running this is a monster pc which the vast majority of people don't have. I'd like to see what normal or high settings look like compared to the consoles. Not that it matters though. I'll buy it on the pc regardless (just like others will buy it on the consoles regardless) of which looks better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Should one play this on a controller or mouse and keyboard on pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Kiith wrote: »
    Looks great on both, with the pc winning on textures and probably lighting. You'd have to actually go looking for it though, to really notice it.

That said, the pc running this is a monster pc which the vast majority of people don't have. I'd like to see what normal or high settings look like compared to the consoles. Not that it matters though. I'll buy it on the pc regardless (just like others will buy it on the consoles regardless) of which looks better.

Yeh its certainly an overkill PC for this at 1080p. I'd expect to achieve similar results with a mid range PC.

I'll be trying this at 2160p with slightly better specs. Dont expect to fully hit 60fps though on Max settings. Depends on how optimised it is with SLi and how much I overclock.

Should one play this on a controller or mouse and keyboard on pc?

I liked TW2 with a keyboard, it'll certainly be good enough to use without buying a controller

I liked TW2 with a keyboard, it'll certainly be good enough to use without buying a controller

that was designed for a keyboard and mouse though, whereas this one is based on all the formats

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm praying my order will ship tomorrow and be here by Friday .

Skerries wrote: »
    that was designed for a keyboard and mouse though, whereas this one is based on all the formats

Game mechanics will be very similar, can't see them changing a good control scheme too much. TW2 was on 360 wasn't it? Or was it just ported afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Aye, would be quite disappointing alright not having it for the weekend. When is your delivery estimated to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Game mechanics will be very similar, can't see them changing a good control scheme too much. TW2 was on 360 wasn't it? Or was it just ported afterwards

It was ported afterwards, they redesigned menues and controls for the 360 as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm checking my amazon app every hour tomorrow and praying I see dispatched. Mean to deliver between Thursday to Saturday :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Aye, would be quite disappointing alright not having it for the weekend. When is your delivery estimated to arrive?

Thursday to Saturday but theres never any post on saturday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

24 hours til Witcher time!

the Witching hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

After hearing about the supposed downgrade of the PC version, i'm thinking of just getting the PS4 version.

Otherwise i'll be waiting another 3 weeks until i can play it on my new gpu. I'll hold off until Wednesday. Their should be plenty of comparisons out by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

You can always get it later on for PC during a steam sale or similar for dirt. My pc cant run it so I'll be getting PS4 as well. :(

sheehy83 wrote: »
    24 hours til Witcher time!

I thought digital copies were unlocking early, around 9pm our time :confused:

Or maybe that was just the us ?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/05/14/witcher-3-update-available-now-detailed-ps4-pre-load-live/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Flying tru 2 atm, took me 2 years odd to beat the Kayran :(

Should be done by Thursday, PC reviews will be out then so may wait if there is a downgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I'd still get it on PC tbh, who knows either 1 of 3 things may happen:

1) Someone will find the downgraded settings in a config,ini or xml file (some say they have already) and literally turn them on so it will contain all the purty settings it was shown at the first trailer. Like what was done with Watch Dogs.

2) CD Project Red may update the graphics settings down the line if they release an enhanced edition like they have done with the previous 2 games

3) Someone will just mod the game to increase the graphic fidelity as modding is an option for the Witcher series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I thought digital copies were unlocking early, around 9pm our time :confused:

Or maybe that was just the us ?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2015/05/14/witcher-3-update-available-now-detailed-ps4-pre-load-live/

Digital is being released midnight GMT and what ever time that is around the world so yeah west coast US will have it unlocked at 4pm their time. Crap deal for Aussies tho if they are on the same unlock schedule.

Advertisement