Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Possible bug: Treasure hunt quest - Dirty Funds. I was suppose to read a note I had in my inventory and then go open a chest, I forgot to read the note before opening the chest and now the letter is gone from my inventory but the quest is still active even though I completed it. Had a look online and it's happened to others so just make note of that if you are on that quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Heres a tip for avoiding a bug. Dont turn the slider for camera sensetivity all the way down....because it gets stuck there. It takes a config editing of the file to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Text is ridiculously small at times. Hope they make an option for larger text as I'm struggling to see a lot of the inventory text as well as characters names.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp a thread started on the official forums about the small text as well. The only thing i want fixed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Said it earlier about the text, have spent most of the day sitting forward on the couch trying to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got a good 2 hours in there, and it's absolutely brilliant. Getting the hang of the combat, and am taking on some enemies a few levels higher than me now with some careful planning. Still haven't levelled up though, so this looks like it'll be a slow levelling process.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some of the side quests put other games main quests to absolute shame. Most of my current quests recommended levels are higher than my level 4 geralt. I even have a level 36 quest. Want to try just see what makes it so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

While it looks nice, I did expect it to be nicer than TW2 and push the boundaries once again.

These two images have been floating around.

http://i.imgur.com/dZV3Doq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bVgtAGm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Raymond Pest

Anyone playing on Xbox One? How's it perform/look?

Looks perfect. Haven't experienced any frame rate drops, some people have complained about stuttering in the opening scene but I have it downloaded to an external HD and haven't had any issues

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Only one more hour of work to go till I can play this. Still in the first area it's only game that I ever wanted to explore everything usually I get bored and just try and fly through the main quest in these kind of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Having gone through the earlier Dragon Ages, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc., the small text doesn't bother me as I am accustomed to it.

The leveling is definitely slow; still level 1 after several hours play. Combat is methodical, but definitely not as unforgiving as Assassin of Kings. Only enemy I had significant trouble with was a guard after I accidentally stole something. Pegged it of course.

Very hard not to get hit in this though. And as for side quests; I actually have found very few so far. Maybe 7 or so and it feels like I have done all of White Ochard other than the griffon by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I picked blood and broken bones difficulty and it saves in the middle of a boss fight. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Nope, Radeon HD 7850. Just had my second freeze, and had to force close again. Can't seem to pin point it to anything in particular, other than my card is lower than canyourunit's minimum.

My game was freezing regularly in the menus and switching to unlimited frames (despite my actual max possible being 60) and changing from borderless to full window appears to have fixed it (early days though). I'm using an R9 290 so it's not necessarily the power (or lack thereof) of the card that may cause these problems.

I'm guessing now after a few hours playing that there is no point in exploring other than to the question marks? It certainly seems like they serve to guide you into not wandering aimlessly which has it's pros and cons but in general it's a big realistic medieval world and they obviously decided not to go with Skrim's "something around every corner" approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Went for Blood and Broken bones too.

I've decided I'm really going to invest myself in this game and so far that's exactly what I'm doing. I've gotten to the first village picked up all the notice board quests and completed them. Devil in the well being the toughest. Just finished up on that there.

The main thing I'll say about the game is it really feels lived in. So far one thing that's really impressed me is the weather. The sound of the wind through the trees, creaks in the forrest, bright skies turning to black in the distance. It all just looks, sounds and feels amazing!

Hopefully I'll put another few hours in tomorrow but I really can see myself playing this game for the rest of the year!

Just done the wondering in the dark side quest, I'd say it's taking me about 5 - 6 hours to do it on blood and broken bones it's really long. 3 mini bosses at the end one after another, I nearly cried with frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

GodlessM wrote: »
    Having gone through the earlier Dragon Ages, Kingdoms of Amalur, etc., the small text doesn't bother me as I am accustomed to it.

The leveling is definitely slow; still level 1 after several hours play. Combat is methodical, but definitely not as unforgiving as Assassin of Kings. Only enemy I had significant trouble with was a guard after I accidentally stole something. Pegged it of course.

Very hard not to get hit in this though. And as for side quests; I actually have found very few so far. Maybe 7 or so and it feels like I have done all of White Ochard other than the griffon by now.

You discover more quests. They're more like events such as clearing out a village of wild dogs

While it looks nice, I did expect it to be nicer than TW2 and push the boundaries once again.

While I understand the frustration at bait and switch reveals vs actual finished product, it's just inevitable when having to program for multiple platforms. Multi platform games are never going to match exclusive titles in terms of looks. It's just the way it is. The game looks good. It's not ground breaking, but it is a pretty game.

The crash to desktop carry on though, there is no excuse for that. Tons of PC users are experiencing it. It's all over the forums and reddit. Having to save every 60 seconds because of crashes is ridiculous. I'm hoping they fix that, and quickly. Thats the sort of problem that would be ironed out if they had tested properly. You cant just run the game on your debug Titan machine and assume everyone is going to run the same.

Similarly with the tiny text. I have no problem with it because I only game at 1200p and am 8 inches from my screen......but couch gamers are having a torrid time reading the tiny text. Again, proper testing would have highlighted this.

They may be a smallish studio but QA is mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mewso wrote: »
    My game was freezing regularly in the menus and switching to unlimited frames (despite my actual max possible being 60) and changing from borderless to full window appears to have fixed it (early days though). I'm using an R9 290 so it's not necessarily the power (or lack thereof) of the card that may cause these problems.

Haven't tried unlimited, will try that shortly, but i started in full screen. It could be some small setting i'm overlooking, AA or vsync or something like that. I'm still unsure of what each setting does (even though i've researched it loads of times) and i don't have the patience for trial and error.

I've about 12+ hours done, was onto No Mans Land. It's mahooooosive. And i quickly realised i forgot one sidequest back in White Orchid, so i went back and spent the last hour or two going to all the question marks, etc. Have that area completed (unless you've to go back at some stage). Haven't done any off the mark exploring, but i have found a couple of random chests in the middle of nowhere. I'd imagine there's more, but i'm concentrating on what is visible on the map at the moment.

Couple of more small annoyances. Dismounting Roche (terrible name for a horse) is a bit buggy, every now and then i don't get the animation and Geralt just goes from sitting on Roche to standing on the ground. Have had characters pop, tree branches going through house walls and back again, and had a full blown conversation with a blacksmith through a closed door. Small things, but they take away from the rest of it.

Also getting the right hang of combat now, but still can get overwhelmed when fighting 4 or more enemies, nearly got caught in a hit loop with 6 drowners just now, where they were all hitting me one after the other and i couldn't get out of it, ended up getting killed.

And final note, I know the crafted Witcher armor is going to be the best, but that's no reason to make the other armor look terrible! Like what self-respecting Witcher will wear chest armor that has bright blue and white diagonal stripes!!! He even said it himself earlier when speaking to the Emperors butler, "I don't care as long as it's black".

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

So, what to say. Absolutely enthralled! Spent the best part of 9 hours running around the prologue area taking in the sights and exploring. The 200 hours full completion time might be an understatement for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's fun so far, and story seems to be interesting, but the damn CTD stuff is annoying me. No idea what's causing it (other than a broken game, since I'm not the only one) but really hope they fix that soon. Also, default PC controls are awkward as hell. What idiot decided alt was cool for dodging, and the damn multi shift clicking to get the horse to gallop, has happened more than once where I've got a sticky keys notification.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    What idiot decided alt was cool for dodging, and the damn multi shift clicking to get the horse to gallop, has happened more than once where I've got a sticky keys notification.

I'm playing with a controller but I've heard that double tapping a direction works so you dont have to press ALT. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

For such an impressively epic game I cannot fathom how they thought Geralt's movement control was ok for release. It's PS2 bad.

Put in a few more hours tonight but the crashing was just too much so I called it a night. Starting to wish I'd gotten it on xbone or ps4. A quarter of the power of my PC but whats the point if the pc port wont play properly? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I have had CTD whenever I enabled +HBAO, I am using a GTX 970 and am geting 40fps with everything else enabled. I am annoyed by the constant keyboard or gamepad notifications msg that keeps popping up.

I hope they patch it up very soon the game is too awesome to let some minor bugs ruin! Other then that it is one of the best games I ever played! It is an ideal marriage of Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got to play for a few hours last night (on PS4), lovely looking game and the voice acting is cool. My only complaint so far, like others have said, is the text size - it's too small. Hopefully they'll sort that soon enough with an update. Also glad my PC isn't powerful enough to run it seeing the issues a lot of you folk are having.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

http://www.reddit.com/r/witcher/comments/36izvs/cheatengine_fov_fix/

Fov fix, flawless widescreen should hopefully have a fix soon too for those that don't like using CE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I played about an hour yesterday, all I had time for. Just enough for the opening. It looks amazing and I seem to be able to run on Ultra (1080) without any issues.

I'm still undecided on whether I should use a controller or the keyboard/mouse. The controller seems easier at first for fights but it doubles up on buttons for sword and sign attack. After all these years I'm still clumsy using the keyboard on this type of game.

It didn't help that I was playing the Witcher 2 over the weekend which had a different key layout!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

I'm running a GTX 760 and have just been using the recommended settings on the nvidia thingy and I've had no issues. Haven't checked my FPS or anything yet, but it runs fine

This is going to be a long ass game, I've about 20 hours done since yesterday and only level 6 and a bit. I see some quests advise on been level 33 - 36. Leveling up is definitely a lot slower compared to other games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm sorry but that first image is ridiculous. It's almost like the person who put it together legitimately went out of their way to try and discredit the Witcher 3 (well, it is the internet, so that's no surprise). I reckoned I could find a more comparable, well, comparison by booting up the game and exploring for a minute or two, and what do ya know?

2015-05-20_00003.jpg

So yes this game does have some very impressive lighting. Also worth observing the use of colour is noticeably more impressionist than the games shown above, embracing the influence of romanticism with its deeper autumnal hues and warmer palette. The same can be said for when the sun isn't shining, with the look equally enhanced but in a different direction for clouds, rain and darkness. It's a game very interested in creating a mood, not just recreating reality. And not to mention movement adds whole new dimensions to the game's look - not least the impressively swaying forestry, the impact of which cannot be captured in a mere screenshot.

Even if there has been a downgrade - and while that may well be the case, I'd still stand by the opinion that the game looks incredibly impressive to the point it's not worth worrying about - it's ably countered by the ambition of the game elsewhere. It's a massive, sprawling map, full of detail and life. The scale and density of The Witcher 3's world does push many boundaries, even if it doesn't quite melt modern graphics cards the way its predecessor did with its equivalent GPUs.

Advertisement