Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

Keno wrote: »
    Just killed the
    Griffin
    there on the first try.

Does anyone know if I up the difficulty now, will I get the trophy for it at the end of the game? I'm on difficulty 2 but I'm thinking of notching it up to 3.

Pretty sure you'd have to have been on Death March from the start for it to count,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Makes sense.

I guess I'll have to do it on the second play through!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

Theres a rugged saddlebag with 70 capacity at the armorer in Novigrad for anyone that wants to pick it up, Around 410 coins.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

neasyerac wrote: »
    Pretty sure you have to be on the harder difficulty from the start! If I go to change it down a notch it tells me that I wont get the trophy for completing on the harder mode.
    Keno wrote: »
    Just killed the
    Griffin
    there on the first try.

Does anyone know if I up the difficulty now, will I get the trophy for it at the end of the game? I'm on difficulty 2 but I'm thinking of notching it up to 3.

I read Over at psnprofiles that its glitched atm, so if you change too death march difficulty for the last mission but been playing it on easy all along it should pop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Needed to drop the difficulty down to get past a particularly hard part in the dark fighting my first
    Wild Hunt guy
    . Was excrutiating. All because I didn't finish up in the first area and instead I jumped straight into the following area once it became available. Wont be doing that again in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Crashes are driving me f*cking crazy. I'm enjoying this game. I want to play it but its crashing all the time and If I havent saved in the last couple of minutes I'm losing progress. Ten minute stretches is all i'm getting before the CTD and it isnt even giving an error message. So irritating. This is a game issue. I'm tech savvy, I know what i'm doing. NONE of the other games I play or have played in the last decade have behaved like this.

This "600 fix" patch wont be out for a bloody week. Ridiculous. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah, the unique 'joys' of PC gaming and its endless variables. I've played five or six hours (up until the first shave) without a single crash *knock on digital, downgraded wood*

As somebody with a strong dislike for Skyrim and the Dragon Age series, I can only say I'm finding this a cut above so far. Tonally it offers a more credible, vibrant fantasy world than those series - the tropes are there, but feel more grounded and engaging. The hunting and treasure hunting mechanics work very well - it feels like they're naturally part of the world, little self contained stories you discover through environmental details. That's the key here - The Witcher 3 feels genuinely lived in, and Geralt feels like a meaningful - if not exactly popular - presence.

There's a few little quirks and annoyances - I hate arbitrary weight limits in RPGs ('you can carry 20 swords, but 21...') and the inventory juggling it entails, although a saddlebag / 'anywhere storage' minimises that frustration quite a bit. I also fear the map is a bit too densely populated with 'stuff', Assassins Creed style. But at least, a handful of genetic deserter camps aside, most of the question marks reveal something worthwhile. Whether they can maintain that, I'm looking forward to finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

About 10 hours in and loving it. Only peeve is the inventory management. Given that you're meant to use them a lot, there is no easy way to access oils - they're just lumped with the rest of your inventory. Same if you want to swap out your potions in their slots. Also not a fan of the limited slots for character abilities. I had 5 different abilities unlocked before I left the White Orchard area, but only two available slots. It's a pain to have to constantly swap out unlocked abilities to make use of them in different circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

CD Projekt Red talk about the downgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Skerries wrote: »
    CD Projekt Red talk about the downgrade

Not to mention another very large patch with over 600 changes coming in the next few days. I think the whole downgrade discussion is being blown out of proportion. The game still looks and plays amazing. They don't need to justify why they did what they did. I can't believe some people are actually up in arms over the graphics.

I like how they have taken the bull by the horns and not tried to talk their way around the discussion. Looking forward to the next patch, I believe it resolves the cut scene jutters on the XBONE and PS4.

Amazing game, and will most likely be GOTY. It deserves it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

logik wrote: »
    Not to mention another very large patch with over 600 changes coming in the next few days. I think the whole downgrade discussion is being blown out of proportion. The game still looks and plays amazing. They don't need to justify why they did what they did. I can't believe some people are actually up in arms over the graphics.

I like how they have taken the bull by the horns and not tried to talk their way around the discussion. Looking forward to the next patch, I believe it resolves the cut scene jutters on the XBONE and PS4.

It was obviously downgraded and not as good as it could be, to make the console versions. Most people's issues where they would not admit it before it went on sale even now they waited to the day after release to let people know yes we gimped it for console payola.

They treated the pc gamers who built the franchise as second class citizens, the fact you need to you cheat engine to fix the fov to make it so you can play and the zero pc optimisation and control issues show they didn't care about pc at all.

Gog and cdpr had so much good will that gog vould have taken on steam but they threw it away for some quick payoffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

I am a PC gamer and to be honest the only ones I know raging about the "downgrade" are those that uberpowered their PC's with GTX 970/980 SLI at a hefty price!

Can't find it now when I want it, but I read an article / review the other other day where the author spent the entire time going from how the game looked and was presented at e3 2013 to how it looks now and saying her enjoyment of the game was totally ruined because of the downgrade to visuals :rolleyes:
    Not once in the entire piece did she mention the gameplay.Sure what does it matter what the game plays like as long it looks good right :pac:

I don't know, I think personally games are as good as we need them to look at the moment (on consoles) or close to it. Possibly if they had given the hardware another 2 years to bake there would be a better possibility of locking down more games at 1080p 60fps with a bit more comfort. That said if you are going to downgrade graphics for the sake of performance make sure it works (not specifically talking about the witcher but in general) you wouldn't have to do much testing to spot frame rate dropout, stuttering and the like.

Probably a discussion for another thread :o

gravehold wrote: »
    It was obviously downgraded and not as good as it could be, to make the console versions. Most people's issues where they would not admit it before it went on sale even now they waited to the day after release to let people know yes we gimped it for console payola.

They treated the pc gamers who built the franchise as second class citizens, the fact you need to you cheat engine to fix the fov to make it so you can play and the zero pc optimisation and control issues show they didn't care about pc at all.

Gog and cdpr had so much good will that gog vould have taken on steam but they threw it away for some quick payoffs

Ok, I take your point but if I am honest, if I was a developer I would put most of my time and money into the consoles. Before you jump down my throat, let me explain. I was a PC gamer for 13 years, I decided to pack it in a switch to console in 2008 as I could no longer afford to be upgrading hardware etc every year (I know hardware costs have dropped since 2008). I am getting to my point :).

When I gamed on the PC I will admit that I did not buy all of the games I played, infact very few were actually bought. Torrenting and Piracy has only become worse over the past 10 years, so if I was a developer I would be of the mind that you will get most return for your money on the consoles as you cannot be sure how many copies of the game you have been working on for years will be pirated.

In the article on eurogamer with CD, Iwinski does mention a number of times that if it was not for the consoles The Witcher 3 would not be anything like the way it is as the company could not afford it. PC piracy is killing the PC in my view and it is not real surprise why develops are putting more of their eggs in the console basket.

For example, the below figures are taken from 2011, and it just shows you the money developers are loosing on the PC.

Number of BitTorrent downloads:

Crysis 2 - 3,920,000
    COD Modern Warfare 3 - 3,650,000
    Battlefield 3 - 3,510,000
    Fifa 12 - 3,395,000
    Portal 2 - 3,240,000

Lets say a game on the PC is €40, that would have seen Cyrsis losing 158 million in revenue.

It is no wonder developers are optimizing for consoles more and more these days. Either way, I think the game looks amazing on PC, and Console. Lets just play and have some fun :)

Ok, I take your point but if I am honest, if I was a developer I would put most of my time and money into the consoles. Before you jump down my throat, let me explain. I was a PC gamer for 13 years, I decided to pack it in a switch to console in 2008 as I could no longer afford to be upgrading hardware etc every year (I know hardware costs have dropped since 2008). I am getting to my point :).

When I gamed on the PC I will admit that I did not buy all of the games I played, infact very few were actually bought. Torrenting and Piracy has only become worse over the past 10 years, so if I was a developer I would be of the mind that you will get most return for your money on the consoles as you cannot be sure how many copies of the game you have been working on for years will be pirated.

In the article on eurogamer with CD, Iwinski does mention a number of times that if it was not for the consoles The Witcher 3 would not be anything like the way it is as the company could not afford it. PC piracy is killing the PC in my view and it is not real surprise why develops are putting more of their eggs in the console basket.

For example, the below figures are taken from 2011, and it just shows you the money developers are loosing on the PC.

Crysis 2 - 3,920,000
    Fifa 12 - 3,395,000
    Portal 2 - 3,240,000

Lets say a game on the PC is €40, that would have seen Cyrsis losing 158 million in revenue.

It is no wonder developers are optimizing for consoles more and more these days. Either way, I think the game looks amazing on PC, and Console. Lets just play and have some fun :)

You know piracy exists on console it's how I played gta v on release cause they would not announce a pc version.

No one take into account consoles in piracy. But the main issue was cdpr lying the whole way through even upto release day.

They lost trust and just as gog was coming inyo it's own as a steam rival.

I might be the opposite of you I have alway pirated console games and bought pc games

Here is a good article on the myths of pc piracy

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

gravehold wrote: »
    You know piracy exists on console it's how I played gta v on release cause they would not announce a pc version.

No one take into account consoles in piracy. But the main issue was cdpr lying the whole way through even upto release day.

They lost trust and just as gog was coming inyo it's own as a steam rival.

I might be the opposite of you I have alway pirated console games and bought pc games

Here is a good article on the myths of pc piracy

https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2012/09/22/gaming-piracy-separating-fact-from-fiction

PC Piracy is no myth and nor is console piracy but the facts are, there are far greater numbers of pirated games on PC than on Console. As I was saying already, Crysis 2 was downloaded 3,920,000 times in 2011. That would have seen the developer lose in the region of 150+ million euro in revenue. When you consider that GTA 5 only cost 137 million dollars to develop, you can see the affect piracy is having. Essentially the Crysis developers could have developed Crysis 2 and 3 for the amount of money they lost on piracy.

Anyway, I am dragging this thread off topic and will get a spanked bottom for it. Lets just leave it there.

I am loving the game and I am playing it on the XBONE which technically is the weakest of the systems. Still looks and plays great.

Crysis 2 - 3,920,000
    Fifa 12 - 3,395,000
    Portal 2 - 3,240,000

No, it wouldnt mean that. They "lost" zero revenue. You cant lose something you never had.

If I offered you a free Lion to run around in your back garden, you would take it. Because it's cool and its free. That doesnt mean had I not offerred, you would have gone out and bought one.

Pirated software != sales and it never has. There is no correlation there. It's the internet equivalent to walking into an office and seeing the "Free pens here! take one!" People like free stuff.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I cleared the first area last night. Did absolutely everything i could find, and found some good gear. Currently in Valen now, searching for an emerald to make a kick ass silver sword. Really loving the game. The combat is excellent, and it's definitely the best of the series. Not quite dark souls good, but a big step up from most games. Also love how even random ?'s on the map can have really interesting events. Not finding a lot of sidequests so far, but i only just started exploring Valen.

Inventory is a pain at times, and i've accidentally sold some stuff i shouldn't have when trying to clear out junk, which is really annoying.

Also, the card game is bloody tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Before the thread gets derailed again, could whoever is interested make a thread regarding downgrades, piracy etc.. whatever you want. Go wild!

On the Witcher 3 the main negative I have so far is that I'm assuming I'm after just making all my choices from the previous witcher games and I had absolutely no idea what I was selecting really. Would have been nice if they were fleshed out a bit more.

The thread isnt being derailed. Its very much railed. :D

Cd project Red's vocal and contrary stance on piracy makes the issue ontopic. The downgrade is also ontopic. It doesnt need a seperate thread.

Frankly I applaud their stance regarding DRM. I'm willing to bet sales for the game will be good which will vindicate their point of view.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    The thread isnt being derailed. Its very much railed. :D

Cd project Red's vocal and contrary stance on piracy makes the issue ontopic. The downgrade is also ontopic. It doesnt need a seperate thread.

Frankly I applaud their stance regarding DRM. I'm willing to bet sales for the game will be good which will vindicate their point of view.

The game wasn't drm free, you need to unlock it online to play, dlc/updates is locked behind a gog account.

If witcher 2 didn't need an account to update why does w3

I'm trying to avoid reading this thread as much as possible now that I'm playing it - a few hours in and I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Now, it should be said that I haven't played the previous games, so the things I mention here could be the norm about those games, but it's a great mixture of Telltale's quick choice conversation options, detective gameplay like Condemned and LA Noire, and fantastic combat.

My only gripes is that I would love to have been able to customize my character more, like with Skyrim/Fallout - not a huge gripe, of course, and quite silly.

Something I do dislike is when games have Run and Use as the same button - this is the case on the PS4, unsure as to if this is the same on the Xbox One. Dragon Age: Origins had this issue as well. Whenever I tend to run, I mash the button. If I come up to something collectible, it does it without my intending so. Admittedly it's not as bad as Dragon Age, as I would tend to accidentally enter dialogue screens with my team when I was sprinting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

It is being derailed because we are going into piracy, console vs pc and downgrade again.

I would say 2% (or 2 posters) are interested in that and more than likely aren't even playing the game.

I'm assuming the rest of us would prefer talk about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I got this yesterday from Amazon which surprised me as I wasn't expecting it so soon.
    Found it hard to get used to the control scheme (Witcher sense, two dodge buttons & casting signs) compared to Witcher 2. :confused:
    I beat the Golden Griffin and the Noonwraith in the first goes but it was super sloppy. I tried using the Yrden sign but then just went back to using just the silver sword, the Igni sign & the crossbow.
    I'm in Velen now, nearly at level 3 and worried I'm not understanding it well enough. I've barely done any alchemy or gotten any items crafted :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

When you win a fight well, it's extremely satisfying. Was attacked by 5 random guys in a pub, and absolutely slaughtered them...but did it in style. The execution style finishers are brilliant :)

I also like that when someone fails to bribe me, i can still take the bribe off their corpse after i kill them :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

Is any one else sitting two inches from the TV screen trying to read the text

tok9 wrote: »
    It is being derailed because we are going into piracy, console vs pc and downgrade again.

I would say 2% (or 2 posters) are interested in that and more than likely aren't even playing the game.

I'm assuming the rest of us would prefer talk about the game.

Or are gamers that have played the first two games supported cdpr to get ehere they are and got shafted so they can get some payoffs for consoles.

You throw your original userbase under the bus expect them to be unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm in Velen now, nearly at level 3 and worried I'm not understanding it well enough. I've barely done any alchemy or gotten any items crafted :(

I was the same, level 9 now and flying through the different signs, dodging, striking, bombing, getting a nice flow. I've still to master countering though.

Keep applying potions and oils at the start of battle to give you buffs and then meditate after the fight to replenish them, if you have alcohol.
    naughto wrote: »
    Is any one else sitting two inches from the TV screen trying to read the text

Eyes be squinting like I'm looking at the sun...

Also, I feel bad for anyone who can't enjoy this absolute joy of a game.

Would I be right in saying you don't get experience from killing Monsters or Humans? You only get it from completing quests?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

PC piracy is killing the PC in my view

Im hearing that the past decade,its simply not true.
    I decided to pack it in a switch to console in 2008 as I could no longer afford to be upgrading hardware etc every year

Again another myth thats simply nowhere near true.

But i get your point about devs developing for console, its more lucrative, simple as really.

Im enjoying the game so far, only 3 hours in though.

Advertisement