Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I love how morally grey a lot of the choices are.

I'm a big Mass Effect fan but a lot of the time in that, the choices are basically "Kick puppy/cuddle puppy" in their simplicity (with a few rare exceptions such as the Genophage...) so it's nice to really think about the choices you're making.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

So I just need to stop pressing directional buttons. Thanks.

Nope, on PC, it's shift

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Started the end game at about 4 yesterday, 11 hours later still on it.

Thats some final act!!! Its a full game in itself.

Did find
    Eredin
    to be a piece of piss compared to
    Caranthir and Imlerith
    they were fecking tough.

Spent a while getting the Bear gear last night up to enhanced level, then had to run around getting the materials we were missing. It's got much higher % numbers like 30% reduction vs monsters and 1100 extra hp if you use the skill but at a price, the dps loss vs the cat set + it's skill was huge around 300 on the silver sword.

Thought I could be clever and use half cat and half bear and equip both skill for the best of both, but it only lets you have one of those skills active at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Xenji wrote: »
    Had my first big glitch today, ended up getting stuck in a fence with a young boy in a dickensian accent asking me would I be his boyfriend on a constant loop.

Seems he was not going to accept no for an answer :pac:

• Advertisement

Finished the story last night. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

titan18 wrote: »
    Nope, on PC, it's shift

I know that, I just wanted to know how to get the horse to follow the roads automatically. Seems I do that just by letting go of my WASD controls. I'd be pretty screwed if I didn't know how to sprint yet :D

But on that note... they should really make double tap W for sprinting with horse and on boat. Those longer journeys can screw with your baby finger. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Most games play better with mouse and keyboard but this isnt one of those. Despite the small irritation of not having enough buttons for your signs, it's just much easier to play with a controller. Smoother, more fluid combat, even just walking around and looting things.

Most master racers should have a console controller for games like this.

One thing I have noticed is that you can move the camera around during cutscenes with the mouse but I havent figured out if how to do it on controller. I'm not sure you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Finished the story last night. Hmm.

Ya, wasn't a fan, especially the crap with
    the White Frost and Ciri defeating it

Also agree with guy above saying
    Eredin was piss. Took a little bit of time but he barely does any damage with his normal attack or the kick and sword sweep. In comparison to those icy deathballs from Caranthir and his Ice Elementals, he was simple.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, wasn't a fan, especially the crap with
    the White Frost and Ciri defeating it

Also agree with guy above saying
    Eredin was piss. Took a little bit of time but he barely does any damage with his normal attack or the kick and sword sweep. In comparison to those icy deathballs from Caranthir and his Ice Elementals, he was simple.

Regarding the
    the Ice Elementals - I actually found them to be quite easy, mainly due to the fact that his icy deathballs would actually kill them

Found the main villains surprisingly easy to kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Disagree entirely, I thought the story was incredible, especially the very ending. As for
    Eredin, yeah, he wasn't as challenging as he should have been, but I think that's because the designers misdesigned the end game; its so long that you are basically over levelled when you get to him. But underwhelming final bosses seem to be a staple of games these days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Found another excellent example of detail. Spoilers for events on Skellige
    When Birna Bran is sentenced to die by being chained to a rock, if you sail out along one of the bays afterwards, there indeed is her body chained to a rock, and there's a voice line from Geralt remaking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Kirby wrote: »
    Most games play better with mouse and keyboard but this isnt one of those. Despite the small irritation of not having enough buttons for your signs, it's just much easier to play with a controller. Smoother, more fluid combat, even just walking around and looting things.

Most master racers should have a console controller for games like this.

One thing I have noticed is that you can move the camera around during cutscenes with the mouse but I havent figured out if how to do it on controller. I'm not sure you can.

I have a DS4 connected at all times for whatever I want but I went with KB/M controls this time for TW3.

When I started the game up I was just fumbling around with the gamepad controls. Where's inventory? Map? Journal? On KB it's M for map, J for journal, I for inventory. Got all my sign hotkeys, re-assigned witcher senses to mouse 4 (extra button near my thumb). More and more I find myself just throwing the gamepad aside. Just about the only thing I use it for is Devil May Cry, Killer Is Dead and fighting games.

TW3 is a gamepad-designed game for sure but I don't think it's as clear-cut as people make it out to be. I'm used to the KB/M setup at this point and it's pretty nice having full camera control during fighting, riding etc. Once you get used to it I think the usual advantages of KB/M are worth it in spite of the gamepad focus. The only real problem is the actual amount of customisation the developers put in. The keybinding isn't done as well as it could have been.

Also note I have right click as heavy attack which is so much better feeling imo. I'd suggest any KB/M users to rebind that and get rid of the shift attack modifier. Witcher senses can be something else like maybe R if you don't have extra mouse keys. I've rebinded the consumable items to numpad 1/2. Mouse wheel click is still ranged attack/bomb throw for me. I've lined up some pretty tight shots on moving targets a few times :pac:

Also being able to use number keys for dialogue options is nice and snappy especially for long conversations where you're kind of chilling and might not have your hand on the mouse but can still tap the number keys. I only wish it worked for numpad keys since they're more intuitive.

The video I posted

is of me playing with KB/M controls. You can tell by the camera movement a lot of the time in these kinds of videos. I'm quite particular about my camera controls I like to be in control almost all the time I even had a weird finger setup in Demon's/Dark Souls on console where I'd have my thumb on circle/B/4 and my index finger on the right stick so I could sprint while still moving the camera around to scope for enemies etc.

Also note I've pretty much stopped using lock-on completely during melee because all I find it does is distort my orientation and dodging.

Yeah I only use lock on when fighting a single enemy and I want to chuck a bomb at it quickly. Only advantage it really gives is you dont have to spin the camera yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I have just read the entire patch notes for 1.04 (PS4 and Xbox One) and 1.05 (PC). Alot of changes in this one it seems:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/06/05/the-witcher-3patch-1-04-for-ps4-for-ps4-and-1-05-for-pc-released-full-patch-notes-inside/

One question I have, in relation to the below fix:

Adds fail-safes for players being unable to obtain gwent cards after Dijkstra or Lambert can no longer be found in the game.

Anyone on PS4 or PC running the new patch can you guys tell me, can I now get the cards I missed in the Prologue off the female innkeeper? I never bought the cards she had OR played her in gwent. Can you now get these cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

logik wrote: »
    Anyone on PS4 or PC running the new patch can you guys tell me, can I now get the cards I missed in the Prologue off the female innkeeper? I never bought the cards she had OR played her in gwent. Can you now get these cards?

I believe an existing merchant will be selling them once we get the patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I can confirm that leaving loot somewhere does not guarantee it will be there when you get back. On pc, left the original Feline gear in the forest hut in Velen. Went back to get it to upgrade, and it's all gone.

How do you upgrade weapons exactly? Is it only by using the runes? I've completed the entire story and didn't really figure that part out ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

How do you upgrade weapons exactly? Is it only by using the runes? I've completed the entire story and didn't really figure that part out ...

Witcher gear can be upgraded from standard to Enhanced and then to Superior.

The Feline Steel Sword for example, you find the plans and craft it. Then once you find the Enhanced Feline Steel Sword plans you use the regular version as an ingredient for the enhanced version and the Enhanced as an ingredient for the Superior Feline Steel Sword.

As you wander around you'll stumble across Witcher Gear Treasure Hunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I can confirm that leaving loot somewhere does not guarantee it will be there when you get back. On pc, left the original Feline gear in the forest hut in Velen. Went back to get it to upgrade, and it's all gone.

Uh oh...

It does seem like a bad idea that there is no fixed storage option. Even with the max saddlebags it doesn't leave much room if you are carrying a full set of gear in addition to the one you are wearing.

• Advertisement

Witcher gear can be upgraded from standard to Enhanced and then to Superior.

The Feline Steel Sword for example, you find the plans and craft it. Then once you find the Enhanced Feline Steel Sword plans you use the regular version as an ingredient for the enhanced version and the Enhanced as an ingredient for the Superior Feline Steel Sword.

As you wander around you'll stumble across Witcher Gear Treasure Hunts.

And then to master.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Ive had the opportunity to head to skellige for a while now, it says suggested level 16 so thought id wait.

I am now level 15 but still have a fair few quests 11 and up left. In Skellige are the quests base level 16 and up or will I head over to find quests I could have been doing around 11 etc?

Hope I don't see a load of grey quests!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

It does seem like a bad idea that there is no fixed storage option. Even with the max saddlebags it doesn't leave much room if you are carrying a full set of gear in addition to the one you are wearing.
    If you have the gold couldn't you sell it to a merchant and then buy it back once you need it again? My go to merchants still seem to have all the crap I've sold to them in their inventory.

It would be nice if the patched in a purchasable house in Novigrad with some built in storage.

joe123 wrote: »
    Ive had the opportunity to head to skellige for a while now, it says suggested level 16 so thought id wait.

I am now level 15 but still have a fair few quests 11 and up left. In Skellige are the quests base level 16 and up or will I head over to find quests I could have been doing around 11 etc?

Hope I don't see a load of grey quests!

That's the thing. The quest to get to Skellige has one fight with a bunch of Level 16s but when you get there there are some things as low as Level 11. I just went there on Level 4 last night and haven't died yet and this is on death March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

No idea if the bear gear is any good but the quest has involved a hell of a lot of exploring and climbing.

It's what makes this game enjoyable. Not just a fetch quest etc here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finally after making my way to Act 2 and after the last quest I did there I'm level 25 now. Things are heating up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Finally finished the game a little while ago, and what a great ending.
    I've put over 80 hours in this one and I have enjoyed every minute of it, combat was an annoyance at first, but I realised that was largely me needing to change up my play style a bit.

Problem is, I now want to play the first game. GF has a copy of the Witcher: Enhanced Edition, but I have no disk drive on my PC so can't install it. Is there a safe and legitimate place to download it, where I can just type in the key I have?

Just got screwed out of the all gwent cards achievement as I can't interact with the inn keeper in Arinbjorn. For anyone who hasn't done Contract: The Phantom of Eldberg go and buy the card from him asap before you complete that contract :mad:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just completed the shrieker contract, was trying to do it without using any signs, potions for that trophy but found it impossible .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Where can I find devourers blood?
    Do I find it or break something down?

Advertisement