Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Witcher 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah? Well every time I see my mother in-law now, I think Water Hag and try cast Igni at her...

Ah the old classic mother in law hate lol. Thankfully I don't have that problem :P

Awwww the DLC mission is a contract, hopefully not to murder that troll pictured. Trolls in the Witcher are brill. :)

Armor looks to be on roach too in the picture. Nice dig at Oblivion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

any tips im starting this tonight and havnt played previous games

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

brady12 wrote: »
    any tips im starting this tonight and havnt played previous games

Tbh there's not that much you need to know. There's explanations for everything, don't feel like you have to chase every quest or question mark if you don't want to, the world is bloody massive, and make sure you use your signs in combat because they can make your life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Got it just tonight aswell and i think i'm already hooked , Took all the notices off the 1st notice board ,
    Loved the 1st side quest i took on with the blacksmiths place been burned down i convinced you're man to come back and own up using an old jedi mind trick just awesome
    ...The only bad thing is work in the morning and I have to turn it off

and I didn't like the last one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Does anyone else feel like 12 slots for your upgrades isnt enough? I get leaving some of them out as you progress but there arent enogh Aard type upgrades that you dont have to equip to get the benefit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kirby wrote:
    Does anyone else feel like 12 slots for your upgrades isnt enough? I get leaving some of them out as you progress but there arent enogh Aard type upgrades that you dont have to equip to get the benefit for.

Yeah feel the same. It would be better if each time you upgrade a skill it is adding on to the previous skill. Just after using potion of clearance and have 55 points to use. Half the skills I will put points into won't be used at all

Think I finished the game with 15 or 16 unspent points, then put them into things like the crossbow skills etc for getting the achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Finally done! After 108 hours I finished the game. Although it says I am only 68% complete in relation to the games content... GOTY. I am half way to level 36 and everything dies in a few swipes but it is still savage fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On my Death March speed run to get the platinum, not as bad as I thought it would be. I was certain I would be hunting for food and oiling up my swords but all I've been using is Fast attack, Quen, Swallow and Thunderbolt. Just have to help the king situation on Skellige (missed the Full Crew) 1st time around and then onto Kaer Morhen.

Was hoping to have it all done before Batman tonight, tempted to finish off Witcher 1st. Very rare I'd instantly play through a game a 2nd time immediately and still enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

sheehy83 wrote: »
    On my Death March speed run to get the platinum, not as bad as I thought it would be. I was certain I would be hunting for food and oiling up my swords but all I've been using is Fast attack, Quen, Swallow and Thunderbolt. Just have to help the king situation on Skellige (missed the Full Crew) 1st time around and then onto Kaer Morhen.

Was hoping to have it all done before Batman tonight, tempted to finish off Witcher 1st. Very rare I'd instantly play through a game a 2nd time immediately and still enjoy it.

Fair play for getting all that done, I was hoping to finish this before Batman too. I find myself slipping through time playing this, I don't notice the hours going by. It's not good, I feel I need to freeze time to play this to not feel guilty about life.:D

I'm glad to hear Death March is not too hard as I want to Plat this game at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I am in awe at how big this game is, I think I have put in 50 hours + and I am only level 20 and haven't even begun to explore Skellige yet. Still have quite a bit to do in Velen.

Already up there with my all time favourite games. One thing I want to ask others about. The Witcher gear schematics - is it just a case of randomly finding them as you play through the game? I currently am geared out with Feline gear, but want to look into getting enhanced and then superior versions. Is it a case of just hitting up every ? on the map until I find them?

One thing yesterday I found funny when playing was
    finishing the quest to unlock the master blacksmith in Novigrad. And he goes on about creating an unrivalled sword for me. After a few days he presents it proudly, with much fanfare.....I compare it to my current sword, go "meh" and sell it back to him. Probably thinking "you ungrateful bastard"!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

logik wrote: »
    Finally done! After 108 hours I finished the game. Although it says I am only 68% complete in relation to the games content... GOTY. I am half way to level 36 and everything dies in a few swipes but it is still savage fun.

I love this game - but i think my GOTY is Bloodborne.

Noopti wrote: »

Already up there with my all time favourite games. One thing I want to ask others about. The Witcher gear schematics - is it just a case of randomly finding them as you play through the game? [/SPOILER] :P

to unlock the witcher gear you need to purchase maps from blacksmiths or armorers which when you read them will unlock the quests. Here is a link for location of all maps
    http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/gear-map-locations-for-witcher-armor/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

to unlock the witcher gear you need to purchase maps from blacksmiths or armorers which when you read them will unlock the quests. Here is a link for location of all maps

Ah! I guess that is what I have been doing wrong....haven't really bought anything from Blacksmiths since the beginning of the game. Guess I will be doing that this evening! ;)

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Feck it, I'm buying this after work today.

For the new wolf gear, were do I find those notes? Are they in Kaer Morhen somewhere?

Wolven School Maps – Notes by Hieronymus

• Basic Gear – Given to you automatically once you buy and read any of the “Hieronymus’ notes on the Witcher Elgar”.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    For the new wolf gear, were do I find those notes? Are they in Kaer Morhen somewhere?

Wolven School Maps – Notes by Hieronymus

• Basic Gear – Given to you automatically once you buy and read any of the “Hieronymus’ notes on the Witcher Elgar”.

There are six maps in total to buy. They can be purchased from the following:
    Eibhear Hattori, the Master Blacksmith of Novigrad sells two of the maps.
    The Blacksmith of Lindenvale sells one map.
    The Armorer in Novigrad square sells one map.
    The Armorer in Kaer Trolde Castle sells one map.
    The Blacksmith in Kaer Muire sells one map.

There are six maps in total to buy. They can be purchased from the following:
    Eibhear Hattori, the Master Blacksmith of Novigrad sells two of the maps.
    The Blacksmith of Lindenvale sells one map.
    The Armorer in Novigrad square sells one map.
    The Armorer in Kaer Trolde Castle sells one map.
    The Blacksmith in Kaer Muire sells one map.

Ah okay, I thought you had to find the diagrams for the basic ones first and then Hattori sells the Enhanced ones. Will check that out, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Knex. wrote: »
    Feck it, I'm buying this after work today.

So this happened :D

Any basic tips that should have been taken under consideration from the start?

Also, I started a save on "Hard Difficulty", but not so sure of that now when I had my ass handed to me by some level 7 Ghost Soldier fella who blinked about the place and stabbed me in the back.

If its worth the extra effort though, I'll definitely stick with it at this level. What level are the rest of ye playing the game on?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can change the difficulty in the menu at any time.

Combat in the latter Witcher games is all about dodging. You can dodge by simply double tapping a direction instead of using the modifier key. (Rolling still requires holding space). If an enemy is deemed too tough for your level you'll see a red skull above their health bar. Try to get in behind an enemy to do critical damage to their weaker areas.

Get used to using signs too. Axii (mind control) is good for stunning someone so you can go in for a critical beheading. Handy for breaking a shielded defence. Igni (fire) is good for area effect damage against packs of monsters. Aard (telekinetic push) is good for knocking over foes. You can finish off enemies knocked on their backs with a quick stab. Yrden is basically a trap I haven't used it much in W3 compared to W2 it can be good for breaking up a mobile group or giving you some respite. Finally Quen is a magic shield.

The New Armor can be bought from the at Armorer at Kaer Trolde. The Heavy Armor is Level 16, at some point scales up to 41. The Horse Armor has the same Stats as the Zerrikanian ones.
    The new contract can be triggered from the Notice board in Fyersdale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Knex. wrote: »
    So this happened :D

Any basic tips that should have been taken under consideration from the start?

Also, I started a save on "Hard Difficulty", but not so sure of that now when I had my ass handed to me by some level 7 Ghost Soldier fella who blinked about the place and stabbed me in the back.

If its worth the extra effort though, I'll definitely stick with it at this level. What level are the rest of ye playing the game on?

I think hard difficulty gets almost easy later in the game so I would recommend sticking with it. If you are not that into the signs just use quen. It's a shield that at the very least gives you a free hit so re-cast every time you are hit. Stay away from anything with a skull not because it's too hard but mainly because it will be tedious as your weapons will take ages to do any damage.

Just got this on Monday... Great game.

But feck me the loading on xb1 is ridicules.
    If you're at a bit that's going to result in a quick death but you want a free attempts at it, the load times are making that very difficult to persist.
    I counted 110 seconds on the last load and I'm dying within 40odd seconds... Is it this bad across all platforms?, these are PS1 loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Just got this on Monday... Great game.

But feck me the loading on xb1 is ridicules.
    If you're at a bit that's going to result in a quick death but you want a free attempts at it, the load times are making that very difficult to persist.
    I counted 110 seconds on the last load and I'm dying within 40odd seconds... Is it this bad across all platforms?, these are PS1 loads.

Loading is the same on the PS4, not sure about the PC. Don't make a habit of dying, the loading would not be long driving you over the edge :)

If you are dying to much, drop the difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,175 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Every game that I've played with a consistent animal companion, I've forged some kind of bond with it. Agro, Dogmeat, Walt.

Not Roach though, that horse is just too stupid to love.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Every game that I've played with a consistent animal companion, I've forged some kind of bond with it. Agro, Dogmeat, Walt.

Not Roach though, that horse is just too stupid to love.

It's not her fault she has poor design mechanics. /Loads game and gives apple to Roach. :D

I agree on roach, i whistle, he pops up and then runs away from me until he gets trapped in a clothesline. Poor ol Special Roach.

Full Crew trophy popped, about to fight the white hunt in kaer morhen, i can almost smell the platinum. Decided to finish it up before going back to batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I wish Roach was like the horse in Elder Scrolls Online. Call him and it appears and you mount it automatically all in within about 2-3 seconds. So much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"I call every horse I ride Roach..."

Once you realise that Geralt has no attachment to the horse itself, it's difficult for the player to have one. It's just a tool....like one of his swords.

Advertisement