Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving To The Netherlands

• 05-02-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

Alas, it has been fun living in Clare but the clan and I are moving to the Netherlands.

Any other Dutch out there in Clare have any pointers or advise?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

best of luck with youre move .hope all works out. im sure the mods will miss you very much:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

CptSternn wrote: »
    Alas, it has been fun living in Clare but the clan and I are moving to the Netherlands.

dont forget to drive on the right:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

And watch out for the bikes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

pilate 1 wrote: »
    best of luck with youre move .hope all works out. im sure the mods will miss you very much:D

He'll still be welcome to post here even if he moves away from Clare, would hate for him to have to go on another forum giving out about me (again)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

CptSternn wrote: »

No tips or pointers except to stay passionate and bolshie! Best of luck to you and your family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Patrick 74

I lived there for 6 years...I suppose the first thing to do is learn the language.You can get by on English as everyone has fairly good english there..but it is polite to use some small phrases and after a few months to a year you should start making an effort to start using more Dutch,it goes down better.
    Get a bike but not a moutain bike...an old style bicycle is fine as you dont need gears and there are zero hills...zero!!You can cycle all over the country on cycle paths along with cycle traffic lights...two lanes watch out for scooters.
    Return your crates of beer and large plastic coke bottles etc...and get credit slips for returns.
    Theres alot of offering of drugs at train stations with some junkies around in all of the cities....better of to smile and say Nay!-no and move on.You may also arouse attention when out at night when people here you speak English and think that you come from England..the Dutch are generally fine with the Irish but there some **** among the population.The Turks/Muslims etcs also like to talk to English speakers when out at night...from my expierence do have a brief chat as they hate being ignored...
    If you smoke weed go to the coffee shops...or you can come across a dealer in time

What part are you going to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Tilburg.

I know a few words and phrases but am looking to learn more. I went for my third interview there two weeks ago. I flew into Schiphol and took the train down to Tilburg. I was able to get by quite well with the little Dutch I do know. I did also notice the bikes, it was pretty amazing the amount of them sure.

Can you drive a scooter in a bike lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

theres an awesome big funfair(kermis) in tilburg during the summer,the biggest in benelux if im not mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Patrick 74 wrote: »
    I lived there for 6 years...I suppose the first thing to do is learn the language.You can get by on English as everyone has fairly good english there..but it is polite to use some small phrases and after a few months to a year you should start making an effort to start using more Dutch,it goes down better.
    Get a bike but not a moutain bike...an old style bicycle is fine as you dont need gears and there are zero hills...zero!!You can cycle all over the country on cycle paths along with cycle traffic lights...two lanes watch out for scooters.
    Return your crates of beer and large plastic coke bottles etc...and get credit slips for returns.
    Theres alot of offering of drugs at train stations with some junkies around in all of the cities....better of to smile and say Nay!-no and move on.You may also arouse attention when out at night when people here you speak English and think that you come from England..the Dutch are generally fine with the Irish but there some **** among the population.The Turks/Muslims etcs also like to talk to English speakers when out at night...from my expierence do have a brief chat as they hate being ignored...
    If you smoke weed go to the coffee shops...or you can come across a dealer in time

What part are you going to?

Just like to echo most of what Patrick has said above.

I spent a year there some years back, and cannot stress enough how well it goes down if you make the effort with the language - they really do appreciate it and, in the main, will go out of their way to help and assist you in your efforts. Even if it a simple thank you, please etc, it will go a long way.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭weisses

I am Dutch but live in Kerry ... Sorry ..;)

Tilburg has a good music venue 013 its called

If I can be of any assistance ... Let me know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

Aw!, Cpt we'll miss you. I hope you'll stay in touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

P.SI'll miss you CptSternn, or rather your quite often interesting comments here.

You'll love it over there: Imagine, no begrudgery, no moaning ... :D

It's been some years that have been the last time in the Netherlands but I always enjoyed the general friendliness and openness. People come across as really happy, in general at least.
    But be prepared to get open opinions once you get to know the people, no meaningless small talk as in Ireland. They'll appreciate it if you are open and honest as well. That was my experience at least (as a German in the Netherlands).

Tilburg is a small town, but still bigger than Cork or Galway, but still has a small town feel, compared to other places imo.
    And it's not far from the Belgian border, if you fancy to give those Brussels sprouts in the EU a bollocking ;) Or to enjoy real good beer.

A new beginning in a new country is always a new life, reinventing yourself - as long as you stay away (for some time) from Irish expats. Get into the Dutch groove!

Good luck to you and your bunch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

P.S. And do mind your rubbish: absolutely no littering and recycle everything! Cleanliness and environmental consciousness is top priority - and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Cheers everyone.

I am leaving this afternoon and catching the ferry over. Starting a new life there on Monday. I will of course be back for a visit here and there once we get settled as Ennis is where most of our family and friends live sure, but only time will tell when!

Good luck and thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Best of Luck to you and your family Cpt Sternn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Best of luck to you and your family Cpt, this is a big move, I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

All the best Mr.Sternn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 John from ennis

god bless you cpt.

wish i had know when you were going.

anyway,take care and hope you stay Bolshi as Balagan said,you contributed big time to the lurkers on here. god bless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Best of luck with the move,
    Your gonna love it over there. I lived there for a while and it struck me as an absolutely fantastic place to raise a family

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Best of luck with the move Capt hope all works out well for you and the family!!

Hope you get broadband connected fast and continue with your posts!!

Most entertaining :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

Awww, as I drunkenly screamed at your missus there a 2 weeks ago, ye will be missed, and the little lad too! I'm sure it will be amazing man!

Advertisement