Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer network not working...

Options
  • 05-02-2013 10:46am

...in an office with 3 computers. Main one working fine, but after last weeks storms interrupted broadband for a while (not sure if that's the cause of the problem mind) other two are not connected to it so can't get Internet on them, can't retrieve files from one on the other etc.

Is there some simple way to get it up and running again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If your office isn't too busy, try:
    Restart machines that won't connect, and router
    Check ethernet cables/plugs
    Check DeviceManager for any ! icons next to net adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

On each PC that's not connected, do the following and post the results.

Press the WIN Key + R, in the run box, type "cmd" and press Enter.

In command prompt, type "ipconfig" and post the results.

In command prompt, type "ping 8.8.8.8" and post the results.

First of all, thank you bonzodog and advertsfox for that.
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If your office isn't too busy, try:
    Restart machines that won't connect, and router
    Check ethernet cables/plugs Check DeviceManager for any ! icons next to net adapters

Tried restarting the machines, checking plus etc.

Checked the Device Manager and under Network Adaptors there is a reference to Broadcom 440x10/100 integrated Controller. No ! icon to be seen, when I click on it I get a message that says "This device is working properly".

There is however a ! icon beside a picture of two computers on the bottom right of the screen.
    advertsfox wrote: »
    On each PC that's not connected, do the following and post the results.

In command prompt, type "ipconfig" and post the results.

In command prompt, type "ping 8.8.8.8" and post the results.

1. When I post ipconfig, I get

"Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connection"

followed by 4 lines which include a reference to IP Address and Subnet Mask, both followed by a series of numbers

2. When I type ping 8.8.8.8, I get

"Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data"

followed by 4 lines saying "Destination host unreachable"

Then ping statistics saying 4 packets sent, 0 received, 4 lost (100% loss)

Do the results of ipconfig include a IP address for Default Gateway?

Check Properties for the connection, in NetworkConnections, in the IPv4 section, check the box for get address auto is on

Also in NetworkConnections, try r-click, disable the re-enable the connection

do ipconfig on the PC that works, compare results

Do the results of ipconfig include a IP address for Default Gateway?

Check Properties for the connection, in NetworkConnections, in the IPv4 section, check the box for get address auto is on

Also in NetworkConnections, try r-click, disable the re-enable the connection

do ipconfig on the PC that works, compare results

No, there is no IP address for Default Gateway.

When I open Network Connections, I can't see an IPv4 section. On the left hand side I see headings "Network Tasks" (which includes subheadings such as create a new connection, set up a home or small office network and repair this connection...which sound helpful), "See Also", "Other Places" and "Details". The main page has two headings, being "Connection Manager" and "LAN or High -Speed Internet" which in turn says limited or no connectivity.

• Advertisement

1. When I post ipconfig, I get

"Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connection"

followed by 4 lines which include a reference to IP Address and Subnet Mask, both followed by a series of numbers

2. When I type ping 8.8.8.8, I get

"Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data"

followed by 4 lines saying "Destination host unreachable"

Then ping statistics saying 4 packets sent, 0 received, 4 lost (100% loss)
    Ok, you are not getting an IP address. Please do this:

In command prompt, type "ipconfig /release".

Once complete, type "ipconfig /renew".

Finally, please post the results of "ipconfig" on it's own after a minute.

connection properties should give you something like this:
    1_properties.PNG

sorry, misled you a bit by saying IPv4 earlier !

click the last item on the list, then the properties button
    get the gateway address from the working machine, could be 192.168.1.1 maybe, get it from ipconfig

advertsfox wrote: »
    Ok, you are not getting an IP address. Please do this:

In command prompt, type "ipconfig /release".

Once complete, type "ipconfig /renew".

Finally, please post the results of "ipconfig" on it's own after a minute.

When I typed the ipconfig/release I got much the same as above, except all the numbers across from the IP Address and Subnet Mask were now at 0.0.0.0. When I entered ipconfig/renew, I got a message saying

"an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out"

Finally tried the ipconfig again and this time there was a sequence of numbers across from IP Address and Subnet Mask.

connection properties should give you something like this:
    1_properties.PNG

sorry, misled you a bit by saying IPv4 earlier !

click the last item on the list, then the properties button
    get the gateway address from the working machine, could be 192.168.1.1 maybe, get it from ipconfig

Thanks for the pic. I have located that screen, when I click on properties I have two sub headings, being General which has "Obtain IP address automatically" and other options, and Alternate Configuration which has "automatic private IP address" or "user configured".

Can't use the working machine right now...it's pretty popular today! Will get on it ASAP and get back to you.

When I typed the ipconfig/release I got much the same as above, except all the numbers across from the IP Address and Subnet Mask were now at 0.0.0.0. When I entered ipconfig/renew, I got a message saying

"an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out"

Finally tried the ipconfig again and this time there was a sequence of numbers across from IP Address and Subnet Mask.
    Ok so the issue is not local, the issue is between your router and the PC's on the network. How is it laid out? Is there a switch in between the router and PC's at any point?

• Advertisement

Called in a PC guy who diagnosed the problem as the hub in the attic being struck by lightning. As it turned out, he did a number of jobs on various computers which were slowing down and diagnosed a number of issues, installed some anti virus and charged 35 euros an hour, 70 overall.

But just came back to say thank you so much to bonzodog2 and advertsfox for your help and patience. Fair play to both of you, because I suspect my computer illiteracy would test anyone.

Advertisement