Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW26 Captain Poll

• 05-02-2013 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Bit early in the week but I'm back in London from tomorrow morning and probably won't be on here much. Interested in what way people are going to swing this week, for me it's a two scouse race - Gerrard or Suarez.

Suarez: 17 goals 5 assists 22 BP's. Average of 6.1 points per game.
    Current form over past 5 games 7 PPG. (10 games = 6.2 PPG)

Gerrard: 7 goals 12 assists 15 BP's. Average of 5.6 points per game.
    Current form over past 5 games 7 PPG. (10 games = 7.7 PPG)

Both should be guaranteed to play the full 90 in both games, I can't see any reason (Europa league included) why this won't happen. After some thought I'm leaning toward's Gerrard for a few reasons:
    • More likely to assist, even after Suarez moving back into a less attacking role behind Sturridge which should increase his assist count (and decrease his goals).
    • If he does score/assist he's more likely to pick up BP's. In fact he's more likely to pick up BP's anyway, along with clean sheet points, so even if Gerrard drew a blank and Suarez scored 1 goal he could actually still outscore him over the two legs.
    • Is currently on slightly better form than Suarez, seems to have gotten his confidence back since start of December.

Two home games against West Brom and Swansea do look great on paper. WB have 1 clean sheet in 15 while Swansea have a more respectable 5 over the same period. However both teams have already held Liverpool this season, with West Brom memorably hammering them 3-0 on the opening weekend of the season. Liverpool will want to push on and catch ground on Arsenal and local rivals Everton, especially after the last two games where they dropped points due to silly errors. I expect them to go all out to try and pick up 6 points here, and we could even see Swansea resting some players ahead of the cup final so there could be goals galore...

Who to captain? 148 votes

Gerrard (West Brom home, Swansea home)
    0% 0 votes
    Suarez (West Brom home, Swansea home)
    26% 39 votes
    Michu (QPR home, Liverpool away)
    60% 90 votes
    Davies (QPR home, Liverpool away)
    8% 12 votes
    RVP (Everton home)
    0% 0 votes
    Rooney (Everton home)
    2% 4 votes
    Bale (Newcastle home)
    0% 1 vote
    Mata (Wigan home)
    0% 0 votes
    Walcott (Sunderland away)
    1% 2 votes
    Aguero (Southampton away)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

roryc wrote: »
    Bit early in the week but I'm back in London from tomorrow morning and probably won't be on here much. Interested in what way people are going to swing this week, for me it's a two scouse race - Gerrard or Suarez.

Suarez: 17 goals 5 assists 22 BP's. Average of 5.6 points per game.
    Current form over past 5 games 7 PPG. (10 games = 6.2 PPG)

Gerrard: 7 goals 12 assists 15 BP's. Average of 6.1 points per game.
    Current form over past 5 games 7 PPG. (10 games = 7.7 PPG)

Both should be guaranteed to play the full 90 in both games, I can't see any reason (Europa league included) why this won't happen. After some thought I'm leaning toward's Gerrard for a few reasons:
    • More likely to assist, even after Suarez moving back into a less attacking role behind Sturridge which should increase his assist count (and decrease his goals).
    • If he does score/assist he's more likely to pick up BP's. In fact he's more likely to pick up BP's anyway, along with clean sheet points, so even if Gerrard drew a blank and Suarez scored 1 goal he could actually still outscore him over the two legs.
    • Is currently on slightly better form than Suarez, seems to have gotten his confidence back since start of December.
    Two home games against West Brom and Swansea do look great on paper. WB have 1 clean sheet in 15 while Swansea have a more respectable 5 over the same period. However both teams have already held Liverpool this season, with West Brom memorably hammering them 3-0 on the opening weekend of the season. Liverpool will want to push on and catch ground on Arsenal and local rivals Everton, especially after the last two games where they dropped points due to silly errors. I expect them to go all out to try and pick up 6 points here, and we could even see Swansea resting some players ahead of the cup final so there could be goals galore...
    good post suarez for me due to slight injury doubts over sturridge. Im staying away from gerrard as I want to keep my midfield intact for the following week plus they have good fixtures bar fellani this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

this is an added reason why I'm captaining Gerrard, could do with a bit of a gamble. More people should pick Suarez and a lot won't even have Gerrard, so if he does score big then I should jump up the leagues a fair bit. It's like the difference between people who had Fellaini captained this week and those who didn't have him at all, a 30 point swing.

If I captain Gerrard and Suarez scores big I'll still get what Suarez scores (albeit not doubled), and I still expect a minimum of 5 or 6 points from Gerrard over the two games.

this is an added reason why I'm captaining Gerrard, could do with a bit of a gamble. More people should pick Suarez and a lot won't even have Gerrard, so if he does score big then I should jump up the leagues a fair bit. It's like the difference between people who had Fellaini captained this week and those who didn't have him at all, a 30 point swing.

If I captain Gerrard and Suarez scores big I'll still get what Suarez scores (albeit not doubled), and I still expect a minimum of 5 or 6 points from Gerrard over the two games.
    good thinking if fellanis injured I have the money to do him to gerrard which I will do, already have sturridge and did rvp to suarez last night. If fellanis not injured I want to keep him so it would cost me 4 pts to upgrade puncheon to gerrard. For that reason Im getting in Reina which works out well as I can play federici in GW 27 so Reina in is the one liverpool transfer that doesnt effect GW27

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

THIS!

Exactly why I'll probably captain Gerrard as well. It's a gamble bringing him in for me because I'll only have 10 starters the following week. Need him to perform and pay off my gamble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

gerrard will be my captain.

i don't have suarez and couldn't afford him without dropping rvp or taking a hit so just got sturridge in instead.
    would've preferred to leave it to wait on more injury news but tevez dropping in price and sturridge rising in price twisted my arm into transferring sturridge in early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

Will probably go for Suarez and voted for him, but my heart says Sturridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

between sturridge and michu for me.. it's on michu atm as he is due a few goals and has 2 games this GW to find his form again but might change it to sturridge if it looks like he will be back fit and starting for the first game! didn't get gerrard in as i fancy bale this week and over the next few GWs and i want a nice team put out for the GW after this also

darego wrote: »
    between sturridge and michu for me.. it's on michu atm as he is due a few goals and has 2 games this GW to find his form again but might change it to sturridge if it looks like he will be back fit and starting for the first game! didn't get gerrard in as i fancy bale this week and over the next few GWs and i want a nice team put out for the GW after this also
    It was in yesterdays star a quote from laudrup saying michu has been great we cant expect his run of goals to continue and may need to give him a rest at some stage.

I would imagine there will be some people who don't realise it's a DGW and will still stick the captaincy on RVP, so a quiet game from him would be nice.

Tbh I'll be more annoyed if I captain Suarez and he does nothing than if I captain Gerrard and don't get a return. It's more of a gamble, so I'll have to accept it if Suarez goes and bangs in a hat-trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Stuuridge has taken alot of gloss from Suarez imo while he will still get assists i think the majority of goals and chances will come Sturridges way as he is playing way more central than Suarez..

I am looking to captain him as i think the injury is minor plus he is not eligible for the EL games,big swing in his favour imo.
    I don't have nor can i fit Gerrard in so my choice is between those two

• Advertisement

No Sturrdige,poll fail...........

Do you have both Sturridge and Suarez?

Do you have both Sturridge and Suarez?

Yep,used my free to get Sturridge as i am going to keep him and sell Suarez when the DGW is over.
    Having both may not be wise but having Ba was pure silly so sold Ba for Sturridge.

Yeah I can see the reasoning behind having both but I would be picking Suarez every time as captain. As much as I rate Sturridge, and he is playing higher, he is nowhere near as good as Suarez. I'd be surprised if he outscored him over two games.

As for no Sturridge option, I guess one of the mods can fix this? Can swap Aguero or Walcott for Sturridge, or add him as another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I don't have Gerrard and don't want to drop any of Mata, Bale or Walcott so I'm going with Suarez.

I'm not going to bother bringing in Sturridge either. Have decided my quartet of DGW players is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I haven't made my 2 FTs yet and have no Liverpool players atm. I'm still undecided on whether to bring in Suarez for Aguero or Sturridge for Fletch (with Sturridge's injury doubt). The latter brings me closer to my preferred front three for the next few weeks (RVP, Aguero, Sturridge) but I'm not confident in captaining Sturridge. Likewise, I'm not dropping Mata, Walcott or Bale for Gerrard, even for a week. So, I'm not posting on this poll for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,104 ✭✭✭G1032

I've a front three of RVP, Aguero and Sturridge

Going to captain Gerrard though.
    While I'm hoping for a good return from Sturridge I'd be more confident of getting a good return from Gerrard.

Who will take Liverpool's penalties? They are surely due one soon (unless it's Suarez that goes down)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jenno99

Who will take Liverpool's penalties? They are surely due one soon (unless it's Suarez that goes down)

Stevie G

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Gerrard is on penalties, stop over analysing the situation roryc.

• Advertisement

Haha, it was an honest question... I assumed he would be but it's not like Pool have been awarded a whole lot in recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Gerrard took (and scored) one on Stephens Day with Suarez on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's Gerrard on penalties.

there's no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

I would imagine there will be some people who don't realise it's a DGW and will still stick the captaincy on RVP, so a quiet game from him would be nice.

Tbh I'll be more annoyed if I captain Suarez and he does nothing than if I captain Gerrard and don't get a return. It's more of a gamble, so I'll have to accept it if Suarez goes and bangs in a hat-trick.

I wouldn't of thought anyone worth their salt would miss the fact that it's a DGW, so doubt that would be much of a factor.

You would be surprised, there'll be a few that miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You would be surprised, there'll be a few that miss it.

I'm convinced one of my rivals, an active player, missed his January WC, so it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Suarez for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Planning Sturridge assuming he is fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Rastadoyle

is sturridge elligible for europa cup? also i can fit sturridge and suarez both up front. good or bad idea?

• Advertisement

Rastadoyle wrote: »
    is sturridge elligible for europa cup? also i can fit sturridge and suarez both up front. good or bad idea?

not eligible. Good idea decide after this GW which of them you want to keep.

Advertisement