Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering after a race

Options
  • 05-02-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Some tips and advice needed. I did a duathlon on Saturday. It was the first race I'd done in over a year and I'd forgotten how tired, sore and stiff I do be after a race. Are there any ways to quicken the recovery? I went for an very slow run on Sunday to try to loosen up, it didnt seem to do me much good.

Staggerlee

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I find some gentle crosstraining helps, swimming particularly. If you cant swim, spin out the legs on an indoor cycle trainer, maybe. Some swear by stretching, I dont get much help from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Ice Baths, stretching, foam roller, compression tights/ calf guards seem to work for the masses.

After a duathlon I find a handy spin on the bike (no hills) , light stretching, good rehydration and a decent slice of cake the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Chocolate milk, a pint of it, asap after the race. Some protein like a couple of soft very salty boiled eggs and toast..

Lots of water

Gentle stretches/massage

Epsom salt bath (hot)

Compression gear

Sleep

Definitely would not do foam roller after a race :eek: you did enough damage to muscle fibres already during the race. If you are going to roll, do it very easy.

Agree with the cake though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

+1 on chocolate milk, provides nearly everything you'd need. I find a run on soft grass at a very easy pace works a treat too.

KFC does not help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A couple of pints of Guinness. Works a treat. Numbs the pain on the day of, and the following days side-affects distract from your muscle pain. Win-win
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement