Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eneco bill - Netherlands

Options
  • 05-02-2013 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hey folks I have a question about the jaarnota from Eneco. I moved out of my last place at the end of last July and the guy I lived with (let's call him Kevin) is now contacting me saying the Eneco bill from when I was there is €400+ higher than what we paid and is looking for myself and another guy to pay him. He contacted us about 4 days before the fee was due and didn't have the courtesy to scan the letter which makes me a bit suspicious.

So myself and another housemate (let's call him Simon) lived there before Kevin, but knew we wouldn't stay for all of 2012 so let Kevin set up the utilities bills in his name. Once myself and Simon moved out (in the summer), a bunch of new people moved in. I figure the energy estimation would be based on what was spent the previous year i.e. when myself and Simon were there but Kevin wasn't.

Now I have no idea how much of this 400 is from me or from the new guys so I'm a bit iffy about paying it, Kevin gave me a rough time moving out so I feel I have paid more than my dues.

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation or could offer advice?

Was it Kevins problem for not getting a meter reading before we left?

Edit: I will also be contacting some solicitors from home for some advice but would appreciate any input from yourselves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Dunphus - do I understand correctly that you have paid Kevin regardless?

I'm not sure it comes under the living abroad topic as this sort of happens everywhere.

Unfortunately, from my perspective, I think you and Simon should have done a meter reading before you left, and requested a scanned copy of the bill before agreeing to settle for that much money.

I'm not entirely sure there is alot you can do about it- sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Nope I haven't paid it.

I was thinking this was for living abroad as its about a Dutch contract and Dutch law and I figured here would be the best place to go to see if someone had been in a similar situation.

Anyway, I am going the legal route and have asked for a copy of the letter he received and the contract. I have informed him I am only going to pay what I am legally obliged to pay.

The circumstances are that he was the only person that signed the contract and aside from that I think he's chancing his arm at getting more from the people that moved out than they owe.

Still if this has happened to anyone else I'd like to hear about it...

Nasty business leaving on bad terms :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

The monthly bill that you receive is based on the previous years usage. At the beginning of every year, you are required to do a metre reading for the energy company. The energy company uses this reading to calculate the difference and will either reimburse you or bill you depending on the comparison to the estimated bills, and to calculate your estimate for the coming year.

The guy should have scanned the bill and sent it to you as soon as he received it but keep in mind it might have been overlooked. The above is common practice in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Dunphus wrote: »
    Nope I haven't paid it.

I was thinking this was for living abroad as its about a Dutch contract and Dutch law and I figured here would be the best place to go to see if someone had been in a similar situation.

Anyway, I am going the legal route and have asked for a copy of the letter he received and the contract. I have informed him I am only going to pay what I am legally obliged to pay.

The circumstances are that he was the only person that signed the contract and aside from that I think he's chancing his arm at getting more from the people that moved out than they owe.

Still if this has happened to anyone else I'd like to hear about it...

Nasty business leaving on bad terms :(

Hindsight isn't really useful, but what you should have done.

Take a meter reading when you moved in, take a meter reading when you moved out.

Multiple total units by the per kw/H cost and then add on BTW, then Divide by the amount of people living in the house.

Morally you should get him to scan and send you the bills and work out what was the bill per month for the months you were there and then divide that.

Legally yer man is banjaxed, he has no contract with you with regard to electric/gas usage and I'm assuming the only contract in place is between him and Eneco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

Hindsight isn't really useful, but what you should have done.

Take a meter reading when you moved in, take a meter reading when you moved out.

Multiple total units by the per kw/H cost and then add on BTW, then Divide by the amount of people living in the house.

Morally you should get him to scan and send you the bills and work out what was the bill per month for the months you were there and then divide that.

Legally yer man is banjaxed, he has no contract with you with regard to electric/gas usage and I'm assuming the only contract in place is between him and Eneco.

Well he never sent me any of the details regarding the bill despite me having asked for them. He owed me money for quite a number of things so as it seems that as there are no illegal implications in not forwarding him any money to pay the bill then he may keep the money he owes me to pay off my portion and as far as I am concerned the matter is closed. I figure he was just chancing his arm in trying to get me to pay, knowing full well I had already been ripped off.

Lesson learned! I will be doing my best not to move in with people I don't know in future and if I have to then there will be agreements for everything and everything will be documented!

Thanks folks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement