Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Gymnastics Year round or is it seasonal?

• 05-02-2013 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a thread regarding resource pooling amongst sports it got me questioning this?

Are gymnasts in this country competing through the winter? and if not what kind of training are they doing outside of competition season

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

I think gymnastics is similar to school calendar, with clubs taking a few weeks off in summer. Competitions take place throughout winter and probably finish towards summer. Elite gymnasts would train through the summer I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Gymnastics mostly follows the school year calendar in Ireland.
    Our competitions begin in late November / early December and then fully kick off in January.

It is up to individual clubs as to what their training schedule is. Most train right through from September - July, perhaps taking a week or 2's rest in August, especially this year because of the Olympic Games.

September - May is competition based training mostly with May - August being the main time for new skills to be learned and perfected as well as a lot of emphasis on strength, conditioning and flexibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Competition season has not begun yet properly. All elite gymnasts will be adjusting to the brand new code of points. Irish gymnasts will be aiming for the European Championships taking place at the end of April in Moscow and trying to qualify for the world championships in Antwerp at the start of October (I'm going :D). There will also be a national competition, other smaller meets and some internal assignments especially in Britain. I really hope Gymnastics Ireland can benefit and learn from British Gymnastics as they have come on so much even in the last few years and stand a very good chance of breaking into the top 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Competition season has begun. FIG AA finals will be on in a months times, those qualified competed at national teams.

If anyone is interested in dates for National finals of these competitions, just ask

Advertisement