Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATTN; CARING DOG BREEDERS

Options
  • 05-02-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Is anyone else angry at the Irish Kennel Clubs recent decision to stop breeders from putting a no breeding endorsement on pups to protect them from being exploited. Surely taking away this right is an infringement on our basic rights? Does anyone else agree? Im interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

when did this happen? Is there a link to anything, haven't heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

When did you hear this, have you a source for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnssRambo

I heard that as well, and it of course is crazy, but wouldn't expect anything else from the IKC. I know that quite a few people have emailed them over the last few weeks about PBNR pups for sale from a Pet Centre in Dundalk owned by one of their most prestigious judges, and to date nobody has received a reply. What kind of organisation are they, if they think this is the way to conduct their business ?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Does this mean that if you breed a particular dog whose parents are registered with the IKC you cannot ask the potential owner not to breed from the dog they are buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Pabmac wrote: »
    Does this mean that if you breed a particular dog whose parents are registered with the IKC you cannot ask the potential owner not to breed from the dog they are buying?

If the dog is endorsed, then that would be the case, but with no endorsements, then any purchaser can breed and register the pups. Most endorsements that I have seen will be lifted, once the dog has been health tested for the relevant genetic issues within the breed, and is mature enough, and the original breeder is happy with the mate chosen, that it also has had genetic testing and is a well bred dog.

Endorsements help to protect breeds, obviously a dog can still be bred from, whether it is endorsed or not, but it's progeny cannot be registered with the IKC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Very worrying news. Also the problem with the Kennel Club is even when members report any problems with 'breeders' they dont' want to know. We had one member touting as a rescue and then breeding from the dogs.:mad:

As soon as the dogs could have no more litters they were then passed on again. These people were actively showing dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

I know a breeder that had an endorsement on one of her dogs lifted by the IKC without her permission and there was nothing she could do about it. Doesn't surprise me to hear they're getting rid of them, the IKC aren't particularly helpful unless they're getting their money for registering pups, no matter what quality they are

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, please provide a link to support your statement. I'll close this thread now until such a time that you can provide a link, please pm me or one of the other mods to arrange reopening the thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement