Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The dour curse of Alex McLeish strikes again!

• 05-02-2013 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Nottingham Forest have just binned him after 40 days

Or if you believe the press release, he has left by mutual consent

"Alex you're crap"
    "I know :("

/leaves

Signing him is a bit like it raining on St. Swithin's Day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Harsh, imo.

I reckon the club/owners are at fault here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Football is a baffling business.

Guys do rubbish, then continue to get high paying jobs. Wouldn't happen in any other business.

Sad thing is, instead of him being unemployed now cos he's proven he is useless, he will get another high paying job in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Didnt he kick up a huge fuss over a transfer on deadline day that owners pulled the plug on?

Probably didnt help his cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They had some incredible run, I saw, over the last 10 games, where their results were something like WDLWDLWDLW.

Given the calamity going on at that club at present, I reckon he walked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What a bluffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Roman has his replacement for Benny :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Didnt he kick up a huge fuss over a transfer on deadline day that owners pulled the plug on?

Probably didnt help his cause.

He wanted a Peterborough midfielder signed late in the transfer window. The owners said they would back the signing & provide the funds. The then reneged around the time he did his medical with the owners saying poor eyesight/eyesight deficiency showed up in the medical. They then pulled out of the deal with McCleish arguing that they used the eyesight thing as an excuse not to spend. He's been doing well for Peterborough as it is, whatever about the eyesight.

I actually thought he was going to walk the night the deal collapsed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Get Nigel Atkins in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Would be take the job? The owners are inept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

How long was his contract? It'll be paid off fully no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

mike65 wrote: »
    Would be take the job? The owners are inept.

He'd bring stability to them I'd say, have a vision where he thinks they will go. Didn't know the Fawaz Al Hasawi family have signed eighteen players for this season.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1323168/chairman-fawaz-al-hasawi-plays-down-fears-about-forest's-future?cc=5739

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Roy Keane back in football soon so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Club are a bit of a joke at the moment. Still laughing at the transfer they pulled the plug on over the players eyesight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Sean O'Driscoll was fired for doing a good job - sometimes people are gullible, all Middle Eastern business men equal Man City riches -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I fear for the future of the club

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

DenMan wrote: »
    He'd bring stability to them I'd say, have a vision where he thinks they will go.

Yeah, but is it 20-20?

How are these people passing the fit and proper persons test? At this stage they will have to bring in Psycho analysis tests before someone can buy/manage a club. I dont rate Mcleish but he should have been given more support during January. Go back further actually, the owners were stone mad to fire Sean O'Driscoll.

No 'Grandpa Simpson in and out the door' gif posted yet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I don't rate McLeish but I recognise he is a principled manager. I expect he's walked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

G.K. wrote: »
    I don't rate McLeish but I recognise he is a principled manager. I expect he's walked.

I would say you are right and he was 100% right to walk .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

NIMAN wrote: »

Guys do rubbish, then continue to get high paying jobs. Wouldn't happen in any other business.

Sad thing is, instead of him being unemployed now cos he's proven he is useless, he will get another high paying job in the near future.

Two managers that the above is true of are McLeish and Steve Bruce, and interestingly, both have the same agent. He must be either very good, or very influential

McLeish has been in charge of hibs, rangers, Scotland, Birmingham, villa and forest. With the exception of hibs, I don't think he will be fondly remembered by any of his former employers for his work

Similar to Bruce, Huddersfield, Sheffield united, palace, Birmingham, Wigan, Sunderland and now hull. I don't think he's really impressed in any of those roles, though I can't say I remember much of how he did in the championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LiamoSail wrote: »

Two managers that the above is true of are McLeish and Steve Bruce, and interestingly, both have the same agent. He must be either very good, or very influential

McLeish has been in charge of hibs, rangers, Scotland, Birmingham, villa and forest. With the exception of hibs, I don't think he will be fondly remembered by any of his former employers for his work

Similar to Bruce, Huddersfield, Sheffield united, palace, Birmingham, Wigan, Sunderland and now hull. I don't think he's really impressed in any of those roles, though I can't say I remember much of how he did in the championship
    Bruce has Hull only out of the Championship automatic promotion places on goal difference at present. Definitely not a bad appointment for any Championship club who aren't big enough to feel an entitlement to Premiership football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats Forest deads certs for the play offs, sure just look at Villa. Gone from strenght to strenght since they got rid. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

CSF wrote: »
    Bruce has Hull only out of the Championship automatic promotion places on goal difference at present. Definitely not a bad appointment for any Championship club who aren't big enough to feel an entitlement to Premiership football.

I won't pretend to have an idea of how he's done with hull, but haven't the owners given him decent money to spend?
    Thats Forest deads certs for the play offs, sure just look at Villa. Gone from strenght to strenght since they got rid. :)

I would think that long term, if they can stay up this season, villa are better placed to progress under lambert then they were under McLeish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Keane must be in with a shot now?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

I won't pretend to have an idea of how he's done with hull, but haven't the owners given him decent money to spend?

I would think that long term, if they can stay up this season, villa are better placed to progress under lambert then they were under McLeish

Steve bruce is a decent to good manager. He has Hull battling for automatic promtoion in the Championship a league in which he has got out of before with birmingham. He did well enough with Wigan to be offered the Sunderland job where after a decent start he lost all his strikers and the fans turned on him because of results and the Newcastle link.

Mcleish did good with Rangers and Scotland and had that cup run with Birmingham where i think they they only played one premier league team at home before the semi finals. He just cant seem to cut it in england he has and might be better off going to the SPL dont see any english fans wanting him at their club manager ala Gary Megson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The thread title needs to be changed, it's both incorrect and misleading.

McLeish walked, it was only a matter of when not if. We all thought he would walk last week after the transfer window fiasco. I think the final straw was seeing Chris Burke score twice for Birmingham against us on Saturday. Burke was Forest's no.1 transfer target during January. Birmingham rejected initial bids of 300k and 500k. But it was thought they would accept a final bid of 750k due to Birmingham's dire financial situation. Yet Forest left the 500k bid on the table and told Brum to take it or leave it. They left it. And Burke came back to haunt them only 5 days later. Fawaz Al Hasawi, a multi millionaire, wouldn't stump another 250k for a winger Forest and McLeish badly wanted.

The Boyd joke only proved to McLeish that he had been lied to by Al Hasawi about backing him in getting in the players he wanted. He was sold a con job. Who can blame him.

We're turning into another Blackburn. Who would take the job with Mr Hire And Fire running the show?!

Would love to see Billy Davies return but he'd be a fool to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So you were happy with Big 'ek? or Big Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek! as he should be known.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Nothing outlandish to spend for Hull.

Whether Villa are better placed to progress if they stay up under Lambert is irrelevant if they don't stay up. Lambert looks like his spell will be the worst of a Villa manager for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭shteve

Wonder would Di Canio be in with a chance? Things seem a little volatile at the minute between the Swindon board and himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

NIMAN wrote: »

Actually it does, it is as much a merry go round at the head of companies as football managers

I wasn't happy with his initial appointment. He favours lumping it to a big man or playing the channels. A style we don't appreciate too much at Forest. But it was obvious that the players were badly shaken by the O'Driscoll sacking. With proper investment and backing from Al Hasawis in January, I'm certain McLeish could have made a go of it. The squad needed reinforcements & freshening up. And width!! But when he wasn't backed, he was never gonna stick around. It's the basis on which he accepted the job.

The McLeish episode strangely mirrors that of Steve McClaren in 2011. He was also promised funds by previous owner Nigel Doughty, specifically to buy wingers Michael Kightly from Wolves and Den Haag's Wesley Verhoek. Both deals fell through because Doughty wouldn't meet the valuation for either player. Thus McClaren started the season with a squad ill equipped to challenge and a relegation scrap ensued. He left by mutual consent in October after a home defeat to, you've guessed it, Birmingham. He lasted a little over 4 months in total.

It would appear as if the Forest job is little more than a poisoned chalice. I'm convinced that because of the way Brian Clough was hounded out of the club in 1993, the great man himself put a curse upon us.

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=35765

Some interesting info on the Forest owners. Not as rich as we thought they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

That is not the point. Whether or not fans were happy with the appointment is moot. He was appointed, and therefore deserves at least some fan backing.

But we all know where Liverpool fans, such as yourself, lie on that issue.

Also, if McLeish's perception is that he was lied to then he was correct to get out. He was told one thing, but when he attempted to carry out his duties it turned out he couldn't. His conditions were not what he was told they were.

I doubt Keane will go in there.

He'd probably end up killing the owner, with the frustration the owner would likely create, and also the underlying hatred for Chiles that he can't vent on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Some chat about Billy Davies coming back. Would Forest fans be happy to see this or no?

population wrote: »
    Some chat about Billy Davies coming back. Would Forest fans be happy to see this or no?

They should never have sacked him first day. He had them fighting for automatic promotion and was unlucky to lose out in the playoffs. He was being blackguarded by the board too but his only crime was being too publicly outspoken about them while in the job.

The big issue at Forest has been the owners. I think the Doughty regime's reluctance to back most of the managers, came from the overspending on washed up players by David Platt, which left the club in a financial mire back in the early noughties.

The Kuwaiti family just seem a little unhinged like most of the billionaires that are getting involved in modern football. Probably very shrewd businessmen but far too irrational for football. The team was making progress under Sean O'Driscoll but it seems while most reasonable owners would allow a 2-3 year plan to get Forest promoted and established in the Premiership, the Al-Hawsari's want to be winning the European Cup in the 3rd year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But we all know where Liverpool fans, such as yourself, lie on that issue.

And what has that got to do with the thread? Still Liverpool obsessed.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

population wrote: »
    It's happened and I'm over the moon. Welcome home King Billy!!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/feb/07/nottingham-forest-billy-davies-manager?mobile-redirect=false
    Nottingham Forest name Billy Davies as club's latest new manager

• Scot returns to City Ground to replace Alex McLeish
    • Davies was sacked as Forest manager in June 2011

In one of the more bizarre sporting restorations Billy Davies has completed his return to Nottingham Forest after being confirmed as the replacement for Alex McLeish. Davies, who was dismissed by Forest's old regime in June 2011, held talks with the Forest chairman, Fawaz al-Hasawi, on Wednesday and then confirmed he would take over at the City Ground.

Davies's first game in charge will be Saturday's Championship fixture at Bristol City. In the Scot's initial two-and-a-half-year spell Forest reached the Championship play-offs in consecutive seasons only to lose in the semi-finals but he clashed with the club's then board and had been without a job in football until announcement.

Davies had held talks with Blackpool on Monday with a view to taking over from Michael Appleton, but Karl Oyston, the Championship club's chairman, confirmed that the former Derby manager had decided on another course.

Advertisement