Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My desktop wallpaper is gone

• 05-02-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi! I searched the web for information but not managed to solve this. My 1,5 year old son got to my PC and started clicking the desktop and pushing keys on keyboard. When I got back from the kitchen the desktop wallpaper has disappeared completely. It has been replaced by a plain blue background. When I shut my computer down, the wallpaper appears briefly before it shuts down. Any thoughts? Is there anything I can do to sort this out? I'm very basic in PC's so please explain like "for dummies" :D Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

What OS are you using? Is it Windows XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DR_HOUSE

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I use Windows XP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Wallpaper has gone out of fashion.

DR_HOUSE wrote: »
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I use Windows XP.
    You're seeing it when you log off / shut down because that's the wallpaper on the Administrator account.

To get your wallpaper back, right click on the Desktop > Properties > Desktop > Choose your image from the list > Apply > OK.

NOTE: If the wallpaper you were using was set from within Internet Explorer (right click > Set as Background) and was in a temporary files folder which were cleared by your son, then the wallpaper would disappear. Next time, save the image locally and then set it as your wallpaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

advertsfox wrote: »
    NOTE: If the wallpaper you were using was set from within Internet Explorer (right click > Set as Background) and was in a temporary files folder which were cleared by your son, then the wallpaper would disappear. Next time, save the image locally and then set it as your wallpaper.

Whatever image you set as wallpaper, whether it's a local or remote image (from browser), is stored in "Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\", usually as wallpaper1.bmp... at least in XP/2003. So, clearing the browser cache does not make a wallpaper disappear.

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Whatever image you set as wallpaper, whether it's a local or remote image (from browser), is stored in "Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\", usually as wallpaper1.bmp... at least in XP/2003. So, clearing the browser cache does not make a wallpaper disappear.
    That's correct but in case, I'm referring to the possibility of it being IE6 since OP is using Windows XP and the "Set as Background" behaviour of IE6 stored the file to be stored in a different and not in the below path (which is default IE7+ behaviour) which common cleanup tools would empty.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Internet Explorer Wallpaper.bmp

OP - To get your wallpaper back, right click on the Desktop > Properties > Desktop > Choose your image from the list > Apply > OK.

Thanks for your comments. I tried setting the image back by right click on the Desktop > Properties > Desktop > Choose image from the list > Apply > OK but nothing has changed. The name of the file is still there, just that when I click on it, nothing happens. I also used the "search" option and searched at first for "wallpaper*.bmp", then I searched for "*.bmp", the i searched for the exact name as appears in the desktop list on those settings, but still nothing. If I cannot find it like this, how is it possible to see it when I turn the PC off?

Check this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\"ConvertedWallpaper" (double click)

You can also delete this key and then set a new wallpaper. This should prevent the old wallpaper from showing up at shutdown.

Torqay, how do I check that? I'm sorry, but as I said, I'm not very good with this. Thank you!

Start > Run > type regedit and click OK. Then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\. Highlight Desktop

TIZjad9.jpg

Now double-click "ConvertedWallpaper" in the right-hand pane, and you will see this:

btSE1Mc.jpg

In the field Value Data, you'll see the original location of the old wallpaper.

You may delete the key "ConvertedWallpaper" but you should back it up, just in case (go to File > Export...).

• Advertisement

Done! Thank you so much for your assistance and also for your patience. I did not managed to restore the previous picture, but at least it's not showing up at shut down anymore. Thanks again!

Advertisement