Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One media-heavy site stalls all traffic?

• 05-02-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

(Sorry to bring up my broadband probs again, but I did notice interesting behaviour with mine, and it seems fairly consistent).

I was browsing mostly text sites like boards.ie; and speed was pretty good on a 100Mbps connection. Then, in another tab I open an image heavy site. Then, all sites stopped loading; or to be more accurate they partially loaded and then stalled so some showed the title, some showed a few text items, but none loading fully.

So I look at the network activity expecting it to be very heavy, and no it's a measly 160kbps. It's an old machine, so maybe the CPU is overloaded? No, the CPU usage was <20%. I closed the site, and ran a speedtest, and got up to 90Mbps down. Tried Netflix and can stream HD video no problem. With the image-heavy site closed, everything else loaded fine again.

This seems to be consistently my problem. Speedtests are fine, Netflix is fine (probably on a CDN), downloads are slow enough. But opening image/video heavy sites stop ALL sites loading even though network & CPU load is low.

I'll try again on a faster (i7) laptop this evening to confirm it's not an issue just with an old machine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

It's probably timing out loading ads or specific images from poor hosts - I suggest installed Adblock and loading the page again to increase page load times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

reduce the number of http connections your browser makes at the same time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Try a different Browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cheers for the suggestions, will try when I get home.
    advertsfox wrote: »
    It's probably timing out loading ads or specific images from poor hosts - I suggest installed Adblock and loading the page again to increase page load times.

But would that affect all tabs/sites, or just the tab/site which is loading the slow adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

who_me wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestions, will try when I get home.

But would that affect all tabs/sites, or just the tab/site which is loading the slow adverts?

All sites, which will improve browsing performance overall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement