Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harte descibes Trap as "clown"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

inmyday wrote: »

I think its the worst squad Ireland have had for the last 30 years. Im not saying they are bad players. But we have had better.

And Trap haters. Does anyone remember what happened in 2006-2007?
    Having below standard players does not stop a manager from using common sense and having a good game plan. On paper Greece don't have any better a side than us, yet they succeed because they have a plan and stop other teams from playing.

What happened in 06-07 is wholly irrelevant. Your judge each period separately on its own merits and context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

grenache wrote: »
    Having below standard players does not stop a manager from using common sense and having a good game plan. On paper Greece don't have any better a side than us, yet they succeed because they have a plan and stop other teams from playing.

What happened in 06-07 is wholly irrelevant. Your judge each period separately on its own merits and context.
    I hate when people post rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

As free-kick and corner takers goes, harte is one of the best i have ever seen, he was key to getting reading promoted.

But as left backs go, he is poor. Gets turned too easily and does not have the pace anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ian Harte was sh!te for Ireland. Great now and again from the odd free kick, but ultimately sh!te. He was the Paul McShane of his day.

He seemed to head into the sunset when he had a few seasons at Carlisle but fair play to him for somehow resurrecting a Premier League career with Reading.

Now, although Stephen Ward is absolutely atrocious and the worst player in that Ireland team, there is no way Ian Harte is coming back. That chap is getting ahead of his station.

I'm no fan of Trapattoni still being in charge of the Ireland team, but Harte is more of a clown than Giovanni Trappatoni will ever be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think people need to sit back and think - really think - about the fact we've finished second in each of our qualifying groups under Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think people need to sit back and think - really think - about the fact we've finished second in each of our qualifying groups under Trap.
    Is there a point to this? It's not a miracle for third seeds to challenge second seeds. Anyone halfway capable would have done the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is there a point to this? It's not a miracle for third seeds to challenge second seeds. Anyone halfway capable would have done the same.

Anyone halfway decent? With that team? Why then didn't we the 3 previous campaigns with better squads at our disposal?

I'm still undecided on what is best going forward, but demeaning what he achieved in the two qualifications he led us for is the height of foolishness brought on by a poor euros. I guarantee if we had done better over the summer, the view back on his tenure would be a hell of a lot better.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Anyone halfway decent? With that team? Why then didn't we the 3 previous campaigns with better squads at our disposal?

I'm still undecided on what is best going forward, but demeaning what he achieved in the two qualifications he led us for is the height of foolishness brought on by a poor euros. I guarantee if we had done better over the summer, the view back on his tenure would be a hell of a lot better.
    Yes, with that team. We arent Spain but we're also not San Marino. Bar Stan's reign we have challenged for second place for quite some time. We didnt get it, but still challenged. Same since Trap took over only now we are alienating players far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's a bit sad to see the Trap lover's getting ready to gloat the very first time we lose or play bad under a new manager, whenever that may be. I firmly believe more could be done with the players at his disposal, one of the reasons why he had such poor players was because he was picking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Corholio wrote: »
    It's a bit sad to see the Trap lover's getting ready to gloat the very first time we lose or play bad under a new manager, whenever that may be. I firmly believe more could be done with the players at his disposal, one of the reasons why he had such poor players was because he was picking them.

I hope they'll make themselves and their forecasts equally present if the next manager actually improves results and performances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To face Poland Greg Cunningham takes over from Stephen Ward at left-back.

Anyone hear of this guy? I'm not familiar with him. Plays for Bristol apparently.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Anyone hear of this guy? I'm not familiar with him. Plays for Bristol apparently.

Good to see him back broke his leg last year . Was with city for a while and didnt make the grade but was on loan at leicester at did a good job. Has a cap already for us and looks like it will be him or Wilson as the left fulls for the forseeable future.

A Galway man and ex-Man City. Has one previous cap from when we played Algeria at the RDS a couple of years back. I saw him play while on loan at Forest last season and he looked very decent. He did well to recover from a broken leg while on loan at Leicester in 2010.

Certainly a better option than Stephen Ward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Will be interesting to see how he gets on tonight.

Team for tonight if anyone is interested

Forde (Millwall), McShane (Hull), O'Shea (Sunderland), Clark (Aston Villa), Cunningham (Bristol City), Brady (Hull), McCarthy (Wigan), Whelan (Stoke), McClean (Sunderland), Long (West Brom), Sammon (Derby).

Can't believe McShane is in again.

Will be interesting to see how he gets on tonight.

Team for tonight if anyone is interested

Forde (Millwall), McShane (Hull), O'Shea (Sunderland), Clark (Aston Villa), Cunningham (Bristol City), Brady (Hull), McCarthy (Wigan), Whelan (Stoke), McClean (Sunderland), Long (West Brom), Sammon (Derby).

Can't believe McShane is in again.
    I can, it's Trap after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Paul McShane - Rockstar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Harte isn't good enough to get in the current poor team but he is obv right about Trap, guy is a clown at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Leaving all debate over his former/current ability aside- I think Harte should be commended somewhat for actually caring about not getting called up over the last few years. He seems to care a lot about the cause and I'm sure there are more than a few 'pros' over the age of 30 who wish their international manager would just stop picking them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Back of the Herald this evening- The FAI refusing to comment on Harte's latest assertion : "It's a joke. I've seen Stephen Kelly's phone, pretty much every one of the Reading lads have, and we're thinking 'What's going on?'. If the Press were to see the full text, that would be the end of Trap".

Could be difficult times ahead if that text gets in to the public domain. There are plenty journos who will try darn hard to get it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Unless Trap walks, I cant see him getting pushed by the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Trap got up to the euros since 88 with the worst Irish team I've seen in my life time, so what are people expecting?

this whole incident reminds me of the Andy Reid campaign, turns out he was crap and not some victimization dunphy and co tried to make out.

very few players in the Irish squad can't be replaced by someone else, so if they don't make the team they should act profession, keep their mouth shut and don't go crying to their nearest journalist!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Have just seem a few excerpts from Hartes Interview with the Independent

On the infamous tweet, Harte says: "I tweeted what I did out of frustration. I'm not for one minute saying that I should be in the team. I just think that with my experience, what I've done in my career, and where I'm playing at the moment – in the Premier League, against the best footballers in the world – then I should be given a chance. That's all I've wanted – a chance."

As for Trap’s management style, the former Leeds man is not impressed.
    "I'm a passionate Irishman and I just think it's killing Irish football at the moment. He's stuck in his ways, and he seems to have his favourite XI and if they're fit, they will play, no matter how they are doing at their clubs. The other lads that are doing well for their clubs? What do they have to do to get the opportunity?

"It's not only me. Alex Pearce is playing Premier League football (with Reading) and the manager decides to go and pick someone like Darren O'Dea, who is playing in the American league.
    "Something has happened with Shane Long; he should have started in the Euros. He's been unbelievable for West Brom and he's hardly been given a sniff. Playing Simon Cox on the wing? What's he doing playing a striker on the wing? There have been problems with other players too."

As for the future, Harte sums up the mood among Irish fans pretty well.
    “He should have gone after Euro 2012 and given someone else a chance, but then I don't know if it would have cost too much money to pay him off. I just think people need to start standing up to this. It's a disgrace what's happening."

Agree with him on pretty much everything he's saying, fair play to him on speaking out aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Did he have Kelly's permission to speak about his business? If not Harte has acted like a clown here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Trap got up to the euros since 88 with the worst Irish team I've seen in my life time, so what are people expecting?

this whole incident reminds me of the Andy Reid campaign, turns out he was crap and not some victimization dunphy and co tried to make out.

very few players in the Irish squad can't be replaced by someone else, so if they don't make the team they should act profession, keep their mouth shut and don't go crying to their nearest journalist!

It's not the worst Irish team in your life though but Trap is in danger of making that the case a few years down the line. The likes of Clark, Coleman and McCarthy amongst others should have been played more in the last campaign. Instead O'Dea, McShane and Whelan/Andrews were played and even though they did well enough, to begin a process that could very well alienate the younger generation could have really backfired.

If we had come 3rd in that group he'd probably still have been given a new contract and the carrot of the Euros wouldn't have been there for the players to somewhat rally around. This would have lead to large scale revolt from the players that seems to be a constant threat. He has somewhat changed in the recent friendlies but we'll see when the qualifiers roll around again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Hows Aidy White getting on at at Leeds?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If it's the worst, it's Trap's own doing. The players he has alienated could probably fill a team at this stage.

On top of that, qualifying for the Euro's isnt the miracle some people like to make out.

Advertisement