Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled car purchase

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I don't get why you came on here to state you put a deposit on a car, signed a form allowing them to keep the deposit if you back out, you back out, lose the deposit and then complain here about them??

All I can say is did you not explain the situation to them and ask for some if not all the deposit back as a goodwill gesture? Reading your selective answers it looks like you didn't ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

djimi wrote: »
    It was two days later.

They were only open for business for a few hours between the time I went in and the time I cancelled. They closed a few hours later on the Saturday and I cancelled a few minutes after they re-opened on Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Bruce7 wrote: »
    Show me how. If you buy something from a shop you can return it for a full refund. If you sign a contract to buy a financial product you have a 30 day cooling off period during which you can cancel it with no penalty. If you agree to buy a house, you can pull out of the deal any time before it closes.

These are just examples, but they are evidence that there is no such thing as a universal moral obligation to follow through with a planned purchase.

So why, in your opinion, is the motor trade an exception?

What exactly do you want people to say to you here? You know where you legally stand in this matter; are you just looking for people to rally behind you and tell you to go to the dealer and give them hell? It sounds like you are intent on doing that anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Why did you cancel the sale?

Can't see why there should be an issue, outside of MidlandsM there its rare to get a deposit back.

So you will be rubbishing their name then?

If you think that telling people what happened constitutes rubbishing this dealers' name, then this means that you know that what they did is poor show, and the type of thing that would cause people not to want to deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Show me how...

Check your bank balance. You signed something agreeing to no refund if you didn't complete your obligations, then didn't complete them.

You've made a silly and an expensive mistake. Take it on the chin and move on. No amount of whinging can change the situation unfortunately.

p.s. Why did you pull out of the deal?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you think that telling people what happened constitutes rubbishing this dealers' name, then this means that you know that what they did is poor show, and the type of thing that would cause people not to want to deal with them.

But you are the person who is suggesting the dealer acted poorly OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

To quote you:
    Instead, needless to say, I will never go near this firm again and will be warning everyone I know (all pretty much their exact target market) to avoid them for as long as I live.
    I will be telling anyone I know who is considering buying one of the cars in question about the experience I had with one of their main dealers. It is their actions that are rubbishing their name.

Something tells me you wont be painting the dealer in a very good light when you tell people what happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

What exactly do you want people to say to you here? You know where you legally stand in this matter; are you just looking for people to rally behind you and tell you to go to the dealer and give them hell? It sounds like you are intent on doing that anyway.

There's no legal obligation but it's bad enough form. It was only a few hours later and most decent people would have given it back.

We know there was no obligation and there's nothing he can do, but that doesn't make it any less bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

WHY ARE YOU SO SELECTIVE IN YOUR ANSWERS?? The amount of post you have ignored and failed to answer is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The OP Seems to be avoiding a few questions alright.

What was the car and why did you pull out of the deal?

Check your bank balance. You signed something agreeing to no refund if you didn't complete your obligations, then didn't complete them.

You've made a silly and an expensive mistake. Take it on the chin and move on. No amount of whinging can change the situation unfortunately.

p.s. Why did you pull out of the deal?

Yes, you're still referring to the legal aspect of this, which I have never disputed.

I have moved on already. I hardly thought that posting here was going to change the situation, did I?

I just wanted to make one point. That just because you are legally permitted to do something doesn't make that the right thing to do.

Two points actually. Treating people right is better business than skinning them just because you can, and maybe the motor trade in Ireland would be in better shape if the people who worked in it took this approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Maybe he found out he didn't pull out of his missus in time and couldn't buy that M3 Coupe after all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

what is the point of a deposit from a sellers point of view ?

if they always return a deposit to a customer then what is the point of them taking a deposit ?

there is no point in taking a deposit if you are going to give the deposit back if the customer changes their mind.

The only question I haven't answered is why I pulled out. It is not relevant.

The car was a 5 series BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

The only question I haven't answered is why I pulled out. It is not relevant.

The car was a 5 series BMW.
    If I was returning a deposit it would be relevant

Scenario A: Guy lost his job in the meantime, deposit returned

Scenario B: Guy found a car cheaper elsewhere, deposit mine

They are just two possible scenarios

Yes, you're still referring to the legal aspect of this, which I have never disputed.

I have moved on already. I hardly thought that posting here was going to change the situation, did I?

I just wanted to make one point. That just because you are legally permitted to do something doesn't make that the right thing to do.

Two points actually. Treating people right is better business than skinning them just because you can, and maybe the motor trade in Ireland would be in better shape if the people who worked in it took this approach.

With respect you putting yourself in a situation like you did was the only real error here.

The dealer won't gave a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Thud

Scenario C: guy was an annoying pr!ck to deal with, keep deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I give the Sherlock Holmes 5 mins to produce the car, they always do.:D

Think he could have returned some of the deposit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It's very relevant.

Did you get a better deal elsewhere? Did circumstances change which meant you could no longer afford it? What was it? Of course it's relevant.

If I wad the salesperson and you gave me a reason such as "I went down the road and got a better deal, so stick your car up your hole" kind of excuse then of course you wouldn't be getting a deposit back.

If you told me your first born needed a sudden operation to save their life then you would be getting it back.

What I'm trying to say is did your reason for pulling out of the deal leave the salesperson cornered?

What kind of 5 series was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

There's no legal obligation but it's bad enough form. It was only a few hours later and most decent people would have given it back.

In a nutshell.

Also I don't see what relevance the car or reason for pulling out apart from boards voyeurism, Micra then needed the money for a medical bill, A6 then wanted an E-Class, who cares?

It's the principal of the dealers actions over a very short period that are being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

green123 wrote: »

if they always return a deposit to a customer then what is the point of them taking a deposit ?

there is no point in taking a deposit if you are going to give the deposit back if the customer changes their mind.

There are numerous examples of refundable deposits being placed on purchases.

The point of a deposit is to compensate the seller for any expenses he would incur by the buyer pulling out and having to re-advertise etc. By my reading of the OP there was little or no expense or inconvenience incurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

So why did the OP pull out of the deal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Valetta wrote: »
    There are numerous examples of refundable deposits being placed on purchases.

The point of a deposit is to compensate the seller for any expenses he would incur by the buyer pulling out and having to re-advertise etc. By my reading of the OP there was little or no expense or inconvenience incurred.

What's to say the next person in the place after the OP didn't want to buy it? The seller would have had to tell them, sorry just sold, that person there just put down a 1k deposit, so I'm pretty sure they won't be backing out. The other potential buyer says ok, then buys another car elsewhere. Unlikely scenario given the time frame but at the end of the day, the OP paid a deposit and didn't buy.

Bit rich to complain about the dealer's moral's when the OP knew the legal obligations, yet now wants to blast the dealer to his friends and on the internet. He says he won't blast them, just to tell of his experience but from the first post, clearly wants the dealer painted in a bad light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

Im not sure if this is entirely relevant or not...

Last week I bought a phone from a phone provider, I took the phone back the next day as it was rubbish and asked if I could get my money back and buy another in the store. the assistant refused on the basis that the box was already open. I explained politely I would buy another phone in the shop a more expensive one and that I had been a customer for years- still refused and made it clear he was not backing down.
    I made one final attemtp and asked if he could talk to the manager in charge with what I was proposing, he did and the manager said no problem at all so I got my money back and bought another phone of them.

My point is maybe the person refusing the deposit is instructed not to give back deposits under any circumstances or has no power to make the decision, ask to speak to a manager be 100% honest and humble and see what happens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

green123 wrote: »

well, to me the cars not sold unless i get a decent deposit ....thats all, and the punter does'nt know that I'll give them back their deposit if they pull out .......(but I will) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I agreed to buy a (used) car from a reputable dealer in South Dublin on Saturday afternoon, and paid a deposit of 1k. At just after 9am on Monday morning, I cancelled the deal which resulted in my forfeiting all of my deposit. I know that the dealer is within their rights legally and am not challenging that.

But just because they can do something doesn't mean that they should.

They only had the car off the market for a few hours, and didn't incur any costs. They could have returned at least some of it, which would have earned some good will, and I would have gone back to them when the situation that prevented me from going through with it is resolved; it wasn't a case of financial difficulty.

Instead, needless to say, I will never go near this firm again and will be warning everyone I know (all pretty much their exact target market) to avoid them for as long as I live. It just strikes me as a very poor, short-sighted way of doing business.

On a wider point, I have never had a positive experience with a car dealer since I bought my first car. When I see them going out of business at the rate they are going, I can't help but cheer.
    Are you happy that you did your best to get the deposit back? By this I mean did you treat the salesperson with courtesy and respect, telling them a story that would encourage them to refund the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

if it were me. i would go down and ask for 900 back. if they refuse,tell them you are going to make a protest sign and stand outside the premises until they do the right thing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ME thinks that the OP has also pulled out of thread too :D

• Advertisement

It's very relevant.

Did you get a better deal elsewhere? Did circumstances change which meant you could no longer afford it? What was it? Of course it's relevant.

If I wad the salesperson and you gave me a reason such as "I went down the road and got a better deal, so stick your car up your hole" kind of excuse then of course you wouldn't be getting a deposit back.

If you told me your first born needed a sudden operation to save their life then you would be getting it back.

What I'm trying to say is did your reason for pulling out of the deal leave the salesperson cornered?

What kind of 5 series was it?

As far as I can see, these are the only reasons the salesperson could have for keeping someone's deposit.

1. Because they can
    2. Because they are annoyed that their sale fell through and want to punish the prospective buyer.
    3. Because they think the prospective buyer will never be back.
    4. To compensate them for costs that they incurred and lost revenues.

In my view, 4 is the only valid reason, and this certainly was not the case here. Nor was it 3 by the way, although it is now. I am just having to postpone the purchase for a while, but when I come to make it, I won't be going to the same dealer.

Advertisement