Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled car purchase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Anan1 wrote: »
    That's a very serious and completely unfounded accusation.

No accusation. In fact I don't even know the people or company involved.

You get all sorts of unscrupulous dealings going on in the motoring industry. If you're handing over 1k you need to be aware of that.
    I would imagine not many dealers would do what the OP is suggesting but maybe an employee might.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Yawns wrote: »
    So buyer and dealer sign a contract stating how much of a deposit is paid and you think the dealer pocketed it and now won't give it back for this reason.

Seriously?

Not sure I get you... I'm saying that if as far as the company is aware there is no record of any deposit being paid or returned an employee could pocket the money and tell the OP its non-refundable when actually if the owner/manager was contacted they would be happy to refund or transfer at least some of the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Not sure I get you... I'm saying that if as far as the company is aware there is no record of any deposit being paid or returned an employee could pocket the money and tell the OP its non-refundable when actually if the owner/manager was contacted they would be happy to refund or transfer at least some of the money.

They signed for the deposit. There is a record of it.

EDIT:

Just in case you missed it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83064385&postcount=22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

See the problem with this that most peopel never take in to account is , what if when you were buying the phone in the first place they handed you and already open one and said that someone had it for a day and brought it back. Would you have been happy to take it at full price?

The OP also never addressed the point of being wrong about just being able to return goods to a shop for a refund.

My point was that if you speak to a manager in a polite way and explain you have a better chance than dealing with floor staff who probably dont have the power to give back deposits etc.

With regards to the phone example, this happens all the time, as the manager said they have plenty of spare boxes and as the phone itself wasnt touched it was no big deal.

I think you have missed the point I was trying to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've read every post and this thread is pointless IMO without knowing

1. Why the OP pulled out of the deal
    2. What the response was from the seller/dealer

We're going around in circles otherwise

Jesus Christ. Ok, here you go. It is not relevant in the slightest but if it will make you shut up.

I have 3 kids under the age of 5. One was born last month. I currently have an old Golf Gti and we manage to squeeze them in although it is not ideal. My plan was to give this to my wife, and get the BMW for myself. I had discussed this plan with her and she was ok with it. I went off and bought the BMW.

Unbeknownst to me, she had been reading up on child safety etc. She is a physiotherapist in a children's hospital and gets all sorts of journals and stuff about spinal injuries in kids and whatever. I came home and told her I'd bought a car, and she flipped, saying we needed a people carrier that can take 3 proper seats. So the plan now is to replace the golf with something appropriate first and then I can get my BMW.

So I will be buying a 5 series or something similar in the near future, but just not right away.

I told the dealer all of the above very politely and courteously and he reacted as I described.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, this was the car.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-SE/31413592664780450/advert?channel=CARS

Now if anyone can show how any of the above is relevant to the point of this thread, I'll give them a thousand euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bruce7 wrote: »

Jesus Christ. Ok, here you go. It is not relevant in the slightest but if it will make you shut up.

I have 3 kids under the age of 5. One was born last month. I currently have an old Golf Gti and we manage to squeeze them in although it is not ideal. My plan was to give this to my wife, and get the BMW for myself. I had discussed this plan with her and she was ok with it. I went off and bought the BMW.

Unbeknownst to me, she had been reading up on child safety etc. She is a physiotherapist in a children's hospital and gets all sorts of journals and stuff about spinal injuries in kids and whatever. I came home and told her I'd bought a car, and she flipped, saying we needed a people carrier that can take 3 proper seats. So the plan now is to replace the golf with something appropriate first and then I can get my BMW.

So I will be buying a 5 series or something similar in the near future, but just not right away.

I told the dealer all of the above very politely and courteously and he reacted as I described.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-SE/31413592664780450/advert?channel=CARS

Now if anyone can show how any of the above is relevant to the point of this thread, I'll give them a thousand euros.

To me it's entirely relevant as we can now all see you had a very understandable reason for backing out of the deal.

Also with the value of the car a €1k deposit no longer seems like a crazy amount.

Lastly I've rarely heard poor comments about this dealer and am very surprised at their behavior, now I know more of the facts. Go to the sales manager and explain the situation and if you've mo joy there speak with the DP. I would be very surprised if they did not return most if not all of the deposit.

Good luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

We know there was no obligation and there's nothing he can do, but that doesn't make it any less bad form.
    How do we know that the OP wasn't one of the "I know my rights" people who think yelling gets them anywhere?
    I won't be going to the same dealer.
    You were probably not going to go back to the same dealer anyway.
    pretty much hung up.
    You don't cancel a grand deposit over the phone, as it's too easy for the person on the other end to hang up. Heck, I'm thinking you rang them, as you couldn't lie to them to their face, as the lie was so bad!
    Although true, it sounds a bit long-winded, so I'm assuming the dealer thought it was bull****.

=-=

Ah. BMW dealer. Does it say the deposit was non-refundable on the receipt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I agreed to buy a (used) car from a reputable dealer in South Dublin on Saturday afternoon, and paid a deposit of 1k. At just after 9am on Monday morning, I cancelled the deal which resulted in my forfeiting all of my deposit. I know that the dealer is within their rights legally and am not challenging that.

But just because they can do something doesn't mean that they should.

They only had the car off the market for a few hours, and didn't incur any costs. They could have returned at least some of it, which would have earned some good will, and I would have gone back to them when the situation that prevented me from going through with it is resolved; it wasn't a case of financial difficulty.

Instead, needless to say, I will never go near this firm again and will be warning everyone I know (all pretty much their exact target market) to avoid them for as long as I live. It just strikes me as a very poor, short-sighted way of doing business.

On a wider point, I have never had a positive experience with a car dealer since I bought my first car. When I see them going out of business at the rate they are going, I can't help but cheer.

I haven't read this whole thread so someone might have either already said this... Or the information I was told could be totally wrong.

I've just bought a new car from a dealership. I gave a 2k deposit last year. In December when the car dealer had an idea of the increase in the VRT he rang me to tell me the increase. He asked if i was ok with the increase and I was as I expected it.

However, I did happen to ask him what would have happened if I was not ok with the increase and wanted to back out (just for arguments sake as he told me one of his clients had backed out due to financial difficulties). He told me that even tho I had signed a contract that I accepted there could be an increase in the VRT and put down a deposit I would apparently be legally within my rights to back out of the deal and also legally entitled to my deposit back!

Now, as I said, this may not be the correct info that he gave me but maybe it is worth checking out. It would make you wonder what is the purpose of the deposit in that case.... But worth checking out all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

OP has said several times he spoke to the sales assistant politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Sounds like a fair reason to need to pull out of a deal. I'd agree with what others said in that this would give grounds for compassion etc. that you would expect a dealer to understand.

I'd still say it'd be well worth your while going down and talk to the manager as the person on the phone probably got pissed off because their not getting their commission or something if the sale doesn't go through. I'm sure they'd arrange something like that that 1k towards a new car if you come back in the next few months say.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    How do we know that the OP wasn't one of the "I know my rights" people who think yelling gets them anywhere?

You were probably not going to go back to the same dealer anyway.

You don't cancel a grand deposit over the phone, as it's too easy for the person on the other end to hang up. Heck, I'm thinking you rang them, as you couldn't lie to them to their face, as the lie was so bad!

Although true, it sounds a bit long-winded, so I'm assuming the dealer thought it was bull****.

=-=

Ah. BMW dealer. Does it say the deposit was non-refundable on the receipt?

You're making a lot of assumptions here. All of them are wrong.

If they had made a gesture towards me of any kind, I would be going back to them in the near future and buying a similar car. I don't live too far from there, so if it had worked out well when it came to servicing and the rest of it, I would be going back to them when it comes time to trade it in. And if that went well, I would continue to do business with them for the rest of my motoring life.

In short, I could have been a valuable, long-term customer. Most of my friends and colleagues are reaching the stage where they are buying cars like this as well, so I could have been spreading positive reports about them, and introducing other valuable, long-term customers to them.

Instead, I have been turned against them forever and I will probably succeed in turning a few potential long-term customers away from them due to this. And all so that they could pocket a lousy grand...

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    speak with the DP. I would be very surprised if they did not return most if not all of the deposit.

Good luck. ;)

Who or what is the DP? That only means one thing to me, and I've already been penetrated once.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

moved to consumer issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

I'd say making this sale on a Saturday made that guys day and coming in Monday morning to realise you'll have to pull out really pissed him off. I'd say if you had given any reason at all, he'd have kept the deposit.

However, I'd say if you head down there and explain that you will be making a purchase once your current situation with the other car is resolved, i'm sure they'll give you some sort of credit note.

I mean, they'd be idiots not to. Their options are:

Make 1 thousand euro

or

Make 1 thousand euro, with the possibility of you returning to purchase a car. On which they'll be making more than a grand on anway?

Its win win for them to give you a credit note..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Dealer principle, although I got a laugh from your reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're making a lot of assumptions here. All of them are wrong.

If they had made a gesture towards me of any kind, I would be going back to them in the near future and buying a similar car. I don't live too far from there, so if it had worked out well when it came to servicing and the rest of it, I would be going back to them when it comes time to trade it in. And if that went well, I would continue to do business with them for the rest of my motoring life.

In short, I could have been a valuable, long-term customer. Most of my friends and colleagues are reaching the stage where they are buying cars like this as well, so I could have been spreading positive reports about them, and introducing other valuable, long-term customers to them.

Instead, I have been turned against them forever and I will probably succeed in turning a few potential long-term customers away from them due to this. And all so that they could pocket a lousy grand...
    I'm going to ask you an honest question. Which would you prefer, the current situation or your money back? Because the latter is still on the table, and TBH you're showing very little interest in exploring it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...I have 3 kids under the age of 5. One was born last month. I currently have an old Golf Gti and we manage to squeeze them in although it is not ideal. My plan was to give this to my wife, and get the BMW for myself. I had discussed this plan with her and she was ok with it. I went off and bought the BMW....

So the Golf was too small for you because of the kids, but ok for your wife who presumably would also be driving the kids?

Doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

p.s. MPV's are necessarily any safer than a decent hatchback.

So the Golf was too small for you because of the kids, but ok for your wife who presumably would also be driving the kids?

Doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

p.s. MPV's are necessarily any safer than a decent hatchback.

Too small for all 5 of us together, but not for her and the kids. Golf can fit two full size seats in the back and a full size rear facing seat in the passenger seat with the airbag disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I hope you didn't call the dealer and say 'My wife says....'

If so, I'd have kept the deposit too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ask them to find whatever car/SUV you need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What are you saying? That I had the wrong attitude? I politely informed the guy that I wasn't going to be able to go through with it, and told him why. He was clearly annoyed and couldn't get off the phone quick enough. I asked about the deposit, he said it was non-refundable in full, and pretty much hung up.

Why would he be annoyed?
    He's up €1000

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Let your wife buy the BMW?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

It probably would have taken less effort to go to the dealer in person than to start and reply to the messages in this thread.

You said the dealer is close by, if you're not arsed going down to put up at least a little bit of a fight I've sympathy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Too small for all 5 of us together, but not for her and the kids. Golf can fit two full size seats in the back and a full size rear facing seat in the passenger seat with the airbag disabled.

I do not know if you deserve the 1K back. You were happy to spend over 30K on a car for yourself and were going to send your wife and childern around the country in an older car with the air bag disabled so she could fit one carseat in front. Secondly I believe it is illegal to have a car seat in the front of any car.

The present car laws mean that while you have more than two childern in car seats you require a people carrier. Am suprised the garage did not return the deposit. Try going down with your wife and childern and explain the complete story to the sale manager.

In a discussion all information is relevant as is the fact if your story is true then it is a fairly genuine reason, pure stupidity by you but no reason to disadvantage your wife and childern.

It none of my buisness but did you get a large wage rise or come into a windfall that you can go splashing 30k on a car.
    By the way

you seriously need to get your priority right from now on and not to be always thinking about yourself

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Secondly I believe it is illegal to have a car seat in the front of any car.

The present car laws mean that while you have more than two childern in car seats you require a people carrier.

Seriously? What the ...

You can't have a rear facing seat in the front with an airbag unless the airbag had been disabled. You can have a child in the front as long as he is in a seat fit for him. If he needs to be in a booster seat, he can sit on it in the front.

Which present law requires a people carrier if you have more than 2 children?

Edit:
    Can a child sit in the front seat of a vehicle?

Any child under 150cms or weighing less than 36kg must be restrained in a child restraint which is appropriate for their height and weight. The safest place for a child to sit is in the back seat of the car, in the appropriate child restraint, however this is not always possible. It is safe and legal for a child of any age to sit in the front passenger seat of a car provided they are using the correct child restraint for their height and weight. However, if you are transporting a baby in a rearward facing child restraint in the front passenger seat you should disable the front passenger air bag. Please leave the air bag active for all other child restraints.
    Rearward facing baby seat

Weight range: for babies up to 13 kgs (29 lbs)
    General age range: from birth to 12-15 months
    Seat details: provide protection for baby's head neck and spine

Forward facing child seat

Weight range: for kids 9-18 kgs (20-40 lbs)
    General age range: 9 months - 4 years

Booster seat

Weight range: 15-25 kgs (33-55 lbs)
    General age range: 4-6 years

Booster cushion

Weight range: 22-36 kgs (48-79 lbs)
    General age range: 6-12 years
    Seat details: You must use the seatbelt in conjunction with the booster cushion

From http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Campaigns/Current-road-safety-campaigns/No-Child-Car-Seat---No-Excuse/How-it-works/

It none of my buisness but did you get a large wage rise or come into a windfall that you can go splashing 30k on a car.

No, I'm a banker and just got my bonus :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

No, I'm a banker and just got my bonus :p

Merchant banker!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Not sure if anyone mentioned this possible scenario:
    The dealer agreed with OP for the car, the OP paid deposit....
    Between the time he paid deposit and he said he's canceling the deal: Some other possible buyer came in looking to buy that car, got serious person, ready to give in deposit, but dealer was sure the OP will come and go through deal, so he refused to the other buyer and buyer left...
    OP calls back and says he's canceling the deal...
    Dealer has lost two customers + perhaps that other customer who was ready to buy car is way off already to other dealer buying car already.

In that case: I think anyone would be pissed off and keep deposit as at least some kind of compensation for customer loss.

Not possible?

P.S - Not sure if that's the way it works, I have no idea how dealership in Ireland works, just a thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

arleitiss wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone mentioned this possible scenario:
    The dealer agreed with OP for the car, the OP paid deposit....
    Between the time he paid deposit and he said he's canceling the deal: Some other possible buyer came in looking to buy that car, got serious person, ready to give in deposit, but dealer was sure the OP will come and go through deal, so he refused to the other buyer and buyer left...
    OP calls back and says he's canceling the deal...
    Dealer has lost two customers + perhaps that other customer who was ready to buy car is way off already to other dealer buying car already.

In that case: I think anyone would be pissed off and keep deposit as at least some kind of compensation for customer loss.

Not possible?

P.S - Not sure if that's the way it works, I have no idea how dealership in Ireland works, just a thought...
    Was brought up but there would only have been a few hours of opening time between the OP paying the deposit and cancelling. That dealer also has a large selection of similar cars so doubt that'd be the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Was brought up but there would only have been a few hours of opening time between the OP paying the deposit and cancelling. That dealer also has a large selection of similar cars so doubt that'd be the issue

What if a customer that walked in was a picky guy and wanted specifically that car, that color, that year, that mileage? I am sure if you wanted say a Black X5 year 2009, you see a nice price, contact dealer and they offer you Silver X5 year 2009. Some people are ready to walk away just because they don't find color they want :D

Advertisement