Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working with a sales / business development guy?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

Over the past 8 months I've been using every piece of spare time at my disposal to develop a web application that's aimed at a vibrant but niche IT auditing industry.

I'm a few more months away from finishing it and have a list of ~300 cold contacts dotted around the globe that would be the most likely candidates for a first call.

The issue is I'm not the greatest sales guy although have good knowledge of the industry. Has anyone been in a similar position? On what type of basis would they likely work? I was hoping they could work on a commission basis per sale ... as many of the large countries are in different time zones it makes after work calls easy.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

Sorry, just noticed the "looking for a partner" thread ... I guess this thread half belongs in there ... but I'm also looking for general advice about partnering I guess and what people's experience has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Why are you not the best salesperson for your new product? You, more than anyone, knows about what it is capable of and what benefits potential customers will achieve by using it. Passion is the best sales tool going and I reckon you have bucket loads by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭messymess

You're absolutely right! But I've seen the difference a good sales guy and a bad techie can make over the years :) I have no problem calling these leads myself but if only 10% bite I'll be left wondering what could have happened if someone with sales competence called. A good product will sell itself I guess but some of these guys just have a natural talent for persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

tbh for an initial product launch you don't want 10% of the market or even 1% you just want a single customer who will try the produce and help you remove all the bugs ( the bugs are there you just haven't found them all).

Based on the feedback of your customer you could then slowly start to contact other interested companies using the first site as a reference site.

I think EI may provide some sales/marketing suppport

Advertisement