Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sprocket change & insurance

• 05-02-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi I decided to change a front sprocket on my bike to a -1. I rang quinn and they coudnt say how will that affect my insurence if at all. As people in customer service couldn't tell a sprocket from a spanner I still don't know how will that affect my insurence. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

szatan84 wrote: »
    Hi I decided to change a front sprocket on my bike to a -1. I rang quinn and they coudnt say how will that affect my insurence if at all. As people in customer service couldn't tell a sprocket from a spanner I still don't know how will that affect my insurence. Any ideas?
    Its not a modification.
    You are just changing gear ratios, which is perfectly acceptable practice on a motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

if quinn couldnt tell ya, what hope have I got? :p

has the potiental to increase your premium (any excuse), but I personally wouldnt bother declaring it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Wossack wrote: »
    if quinn couldnt tell ya, what hope have I got? :p

has the potiental to increase your premium (any excuse), but I personally wouldnt bother declaring it

I them thought about not declaring it l, bit eventually id rather go all legit in case of claim ( I would expect Quinn would use any excuse not to pay a claim). Not easy doing the right thing ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think you've done what you can at this stage - quinn couldnt tell you, so there you go

personally, dont believe it needs to be declared - its not a performance, or aesthetic modification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Wossack wrote: »
    I think you've done what you can at this stage - quinn couldnt tell you, so there you go

Ill check with the gardai as well. Ill also ring quinn again and record them in case. How do they expect people to uphold the law if no one knows what it is...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I have no idea why you are bothering - they won't know and it hasnt increased the value of the bike. Should you ring when you put sportier tyres on? It's about the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

You're going down one tooth on the sprocket. It's hardly like adding a turbo or nitrous kit, i.e. it's not a HUGE modification that will make any difference to the overall power of the bike. And in fairness, asking Quinn about changing a front sprocket and the difference it will make to your policy is like asking a 4 year old about quantum physics. They haven't a clue in there.

Point is - you don't need to declare it and God forbid in the event of an accident and they sent out an assessor, there's no way he'd know it was a slightly different sprocket, and if he did, it wouldn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Who are Quinn?

I wouldn't even notice if the bike shop gave me an incorrect sized front sprocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Xaime

I recently fitted the tail wings of a Boeing 737 on my Honda CBF250 to help me beat the traffic. The Insurance company said I was grand but I need to make sure the road ahead of me is clear before landing (always rear wheel down first and a couple of life savers in case a bird is flying your way).:D

Advertisement