Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Tattoo on Hand

Options
  • 05-02-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

OK so as my username suggests my surname is Brady. We have what is possibly the most ridiculous family crest of a right hand with its finger pointing towards the sun.

I was thinking about getting a tattoo that kinda signifies this but dont want the actual crest. So one of my first ideas was to get a sun on my right hand. I was thinking something really small like the size of a 1 euro coin (I have tiny hands ya see) in the area that's kinda between the index finger and the thumb. Think it's called something like the trapezium.

So I was wondering a couple of things. Firstly I know because I'm going for something small I'm going to have to go fairly simple which I don't mind but how does the skin on your hand hold ink. I know palms aren't great is it the same for the back?

Secondly lots of tattoo artists say hand tattoo's are a bad idea because they're so obvious, and while I have 3 tattoo's all of them are small and not very obvious. And like I know this one wouldn't be big or anything but is it still something that wouldn't really be recommended.

I also have this little fear that once I step over the line into an obvious tattoo I won't stop. Like I love tattoo's and love the ones I have and while I like the look of sleeves on other people it's never something I wanted and up until now one of the factors for me in deciding whether I wanted a tattoo has been whether the location i wanted it can be hidden. But I do want this tattoo and so in my head i cant help but think what if you see ones in future you want that are even more obvious will you just keep going.

Sorry this turned more into a post on my fears than asking questions, but I dunno I was just wondering did anyone ever have the same feelings.

I also mean to be in no way rude to people that have obvious tattoos. I do like them I just never wanted them if that makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I've got the back of my hand done. The high movement areas like the knuckles will not hold the ink as well as the rest of the hand.

I'm not sure where exactly you mean, but if you mean the flap of skin that connects the thumb to the index, I would imagine you might need regular touchups with the amount of use that area gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Not the flap exactly but the area behind it if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Like where the bird is here

bird,hand,small,and,simple,tattooes,swallow,tattoo,tattos-7cd440b0bd0ba313aba7b257e7fa8b64_h_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

As with any hand tattoo you will probably need a touchup eventually. But you shouldn't lose too much ink there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Keep in mind that it'll get a bit of sunlight on it and will age faster than your other tattoos (yes even here in Ireland). So something big enough to be touched up easily is a good idea.

A lot of the more reputable studios will probably turn you away as well depending on your age, as you're not heavily tattooed/tattooed in the visible places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

A yellow sun that small would be very hard to notice no matter where it was on the body, unless your going for an Aztec sun or similar with a darker outline.

Advertisement