Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visio Alternative

Options
  • 05-02-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking to create a network map/ drawing to show where users are sitting and to document what ports are in use by those users.

there's a few reasons why I'm doing this, however, at the moment I don't have a spare license for Visio and this is a document that I'd like to keep updated.

So I'm looking for a software that can allow me to create large enough drawings so I can do floor plans.

Additionally, if it would be possible to get a software that allows linking of drawings that would be immense. By this I mean I could have an object on a drawing, hyperlink to a separate drawing.

I've checked out Pencil but it's not great from what I can tell thus far.

Would LibreOffice be the way to go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hey all,

I'm looking to create a network map/ drawing to show where users are sitting and to document what ports are in use by those users.

Spiceworks?

Or 5 Best Free Alternatives To Microsoft Visio

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Torqay wrote: »
    I'm using Spiceworks for Helpdesk ticketing at the moment and hoping to get it setup on a server.

However, you seem to be only able to create maps depending on scans pulling back information rather than create your own custom maps. Additionally I'm not sure if it would return the port number it's going into. I'm running this locally on my own machine so I'm not actively scanning - and there's no point in me testing Spiceworks until I have it up and running on a VM/server.

I've already viewed the link above - thanks for the information all the same but I don't have the time right now to test different versions to see which one suits my needs.

Was hoping somebody here may have used some of them before and have some insight as per which would suit my needs best.

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm using Spiceworks ... However, you seem to be only able to create maps depending on scans pulling back information rather than create your own custom maps.

?

RWXgn4j.jpg

This is exactly what I'm looking for - I'm after trying to create a map of all nodes being pulled in and it's not bringing back all devices - I'm assuming this is down to the fact that I'm not actively scanning the network.

I can't scan the network as it grinds my PC to a halt and I'm waiting on a VM to install it on.

Are there any tips to SW that you could give me as I'm working on my own on this. Would appreciate any help you could give, I can take this to PM also if you'd prefer

It's worth mentioning that the above screenshot is found on the paid version of the Spiceworks software.

The freeware doesn't offer as many customizations to the network map

• Advertisement

LibreOffice Draw will do the trick.

You can insert sniplets from SpiceWorks or The Dude with the details for each computer.

Torqay wrote: »
    LibreOffice Draw will do the trick.

You can insert sniplets from SpiceWorks or The Dude with the details for each computer.
    Cheers,

Downloaded and installed it earlier but haven't looked at it yet, went looking at spiceworks plugins to see if there was something huge I was missing re: the network map :o

Advertisement