Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Stairs v Read Deal Stairs Cost

Options
  • 05-02-2013 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I am putting in a new stairs. Approx 10 steps and with spindels on steps. What would the approx price different be between an Oak stairs and a Red Deal stairs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

HurlingBoy wrote: »
    I am putting in a new stairs. Approx 10 steps and with spindels on steps. What would the approx price different be between an Oak stairs and a Red Deal stairs?
    Being hunting for a stairs myself and this is what I got so far. Red Deal is soft and will wear quickly so maybe look into getting it laquered. The style you are after spindels on steps(open string) is more expensive. What you are looking for in all Oak was roughly costing me from €5800-€6800. I got a quote for a mix of Oak and Red Deal for €3200. Can't remember the specifics but I think it was Oak step, Red Deal riser, Oak strings and red deal panel on the back and sides. It is also closed string and not open string like you are after. Hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 YMCA

Being hunting for a stairs myself and this is what I got so far. Red Deal is soft and will wear quickly so maybe look into getting it laquered. The style you are after spindels on steps(open string) is more expensive. What you are looking for in all Oak was roughly costing me from €5800-€6800. I got a quote for a mix of Oak and Red Deal for €3200. Can't remember the specifics but I think it was Oak step, Red Deal riser, Oak strings and red deal panel on the back and sides. It is also closed string and not open string like you are after. Hope this helps you.

Hi Fealaranger,

Could you PM me any details on this as it sounds like the type of stairs I am looking to put in. (e.g Website, photo or contact details) Thanks.

I will get the details to you as soon as I have them with a picture. What I got so far is a quote for the stairs. I will not have it until May/June.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 charlie3

This link might help you guys http://www.curtislumber.com/gettingstarted-stairs.asp

Also standard stairs should Cost no more than 1500 Fitted
    As for oak stairs 2500 to 3000 fitted Depending on size And style of posts and Spindles

acut string are slightly more expensive Due to the added workload

Use extreme caution When considering a curved Staircase €€€€€€€€€€€

charlie3 wrote: »
    This link might help you guys http://www.curtislumber.com/gettingstarted-stairs.asp

Also standard stairs should Cost no more than 1500 Fitted
    As for oak stairs 2500 to 3000 fitted Depending on size And style of posts and Spindles

acut string are slightly more expensive Due to the added workload

Use extreme caution When considering a curved Staircase €€€€€€€€€€€
    Thanks charlie3. Very good information there. The price is not too far from what I was quoted. I was thinking of getting the stairs laquered instead of painted but I have no idea what the finished product will turn out like. A work mate told me he he got this done and was very impressed with it. He makes out it is nearly the best decision he made building the house. It cost about €800. I never asked what wood this is but my instinct is Red Deal as In my own head it would be a sin to laquer a hardwood stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

Your going to have to treat the solid stuff too.....the lacquer will look lovely on the oak if you have the funds do it right and get the oak...if you plan on painting the spindles just go deal

• Registered Users Posts: 18 charlie3

What also looks really well is If you Paint the spindles Strings Risers And varnish the rest IE.. Handrail Treads . Looks very classy will also save you Quite a bit All the painted pieces don't need to be hardwood , This will definitely ensure you get most Bang for your book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

The price isnt as straight forward as red deal 800-1200 and oak 2500. Different choices like scrolls on the sides, moulding under steps, thickness of thread and spindles and lenght of landing rail all have a huge bearing on the overall cost of a set of stairs. 10 steps seems very short too. stick up a height from floor to floor. A distance from landing to the front of the stairs and the amount of landing rail that will be needing rail and spindles and whether you are t and g sheeting the back or will it just be hidden and a rough guesstimate may be possible. Ive made oak stairs from anything from 1800-20'000 and deal from 600-3000. its very rare to get 2 sets the same these days.

Advertisement