Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

personal bank account guarantee?

Options
  • 05-02-2013 3:31pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My father just had a decent pension mature and has put it in a savings account in Danske Bank (formerly NIB). Its less than 100K so I understand its covered by the central bank guarantee of private bank accounts. However he has several accounts with them and he has more than 150K between them all.

Now my question is , the bank guarantee of accounts less than 110K odd euros... is that in any single account or as a collection of the persons money in total with that bank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It would appear to be a guarantee of the sum of all deposits within an institution:

http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?docid=6474
    the existing statutory €100,000 Deposit Guarantee Scheme (the "DGS") which cover 100% of retail deposits with all credit institutions authorised in Ireland (including credit unions) up to a maximum of €100,000 per qualifying depositor per institution.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

if its Joint Accounts for a couple its 200k so thats ok...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Danske Bank are not part of the blanket scheme, so it is 100k per bank only.

Advertisement