Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Iphone for €50 deal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pkent23

Will you refund Vodafone for the fee's they'll incur processing your refund when you knew damn well it was a pricing error and chanced your arm?

Making some assumptions there amber... You assume that I know better than vodafone what the price of their product on their website should be. Who's to say that i didn't naively take the offer as a very good one and try to purchase it.

Do you think that a consumer should be held responsible for the errors of a supplier? Seems like an odd argument to me but hey, it's good that you are free to share your thoughts. Might just be worth taking a look at the wider facts

- Product was sold my vodafone
    - They took the money
    - They realised their mistake (giving them some credit we will assume, as you like to do, that they realised after money was taken)
    - They did not acklnowledge their mistake
    - They have not committed to either refunding or providing the product
    - Some consumers may now be charged by their bank

While it is good that you were not duped by this offer, broaden your mind to the concept that others might have been. We are not all like you Amber... and that's ok too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

pkent23 wrote: »
    Who's to say that i didn't naively take the offer as a very good one and try to purchase it.

Anyone with even the slightest iota of common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Making some assumptions there amber... You assume that I know better than vodafone what the price of their product on their website should be. Who's to say that i didn't naively take the offer as a very good one and try to purchase it.

Do you think that a consumer should be held responsible for the errors of a supplier? Seems like an odd argument to me but hey, it's good that you are free to share your thoughts. Might just be worth taking a look at the wider facts

- Product was sold my vodafone
    - They took the money
    - They realised their mistake (giving them some credit we will assume, as you like to do, that they realised after money was taken)
    - They did not acklnowledge their mistake
    - They have not committed to either refunding or providing the product
    - Some consumers may now be charged by their bank

While it is good that you were not duped by this offer, broaden your mind to the concept that others might have been. We are not all like you Amber... and that's ok too!!

You knew very well it was an error. No company is going to take a loss of €500 per unit, and if you believe that they will, then you do not deserve the refund and apology that you'll eventually receive.

As for a refund, you will get one. Maybe take a minute to think that they may be swamped with the mess this mistake has created. It will take a while to sort out. As for bank charges..you knew it was an error and you took advantage, why should they pay your bank charges?

You knew very well it was an error. No company is going to take a loss of €500 per unit, and if you believe that they will, then you do not deserve the refund and apology that you'll eventually receive.

As for a refund, you will get one. Maybe take a minute to think that they may be swamped with the mess this mistake has created. It will take a while to sort out. As for bank charges..you knew it was an error and you took advantage, why should they pay your bank charges?

As with Amber, you are making the same assumptions. You cannot speak for what I do or do not know. Nor can you speak for every individual who accepted this price throughout the day.

There are examples of companies giving away smartphones... Three do it and tie you to a contract so in effect they take the loss on the phone for the greater good of the contract. Who is to say that Vodafone were not trying something new and inventive to increase their customer base. I am not there to second guess their motives.

To address the point of refund and apology. They may or may not do this. Happily for me, the odds on getting my money back are in my favour. It is for vodafone to decide if they apologise or not. Am I supposed to feel sorry for Vodafone being busy correcting their mistake? Am I supposed to accept that I deserve to lose money because of their mistake? (These are rhetorical questions by the way, not an invitation for you to tell me what you think I know).

They may well be swamped (pretty busy myself dealing with the fallout of their mistake!)

You accuse me of taking advantage. This assumes that I knew that something was wrong and you can't know that. They don't (and most likely won't pay any charges) but what's nice is that people are free to highlight these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As with Amber, you are making the same assumptions. You cannot speak for what I do or do not know. Nor can you speak for every individual who accepted this price throughout the day.
    Making some assumptions there amber... You assume that I know better than vodafone what the price of their product on their website should be. Who's to say that i didn't naively take the offer as a very good one and try to purchase it.!!

Lets for a minute pretend you genuinly didnt know this mistake was happening.
    So when you looked at the list of phones on the website and it said "Iphone 4s €499 (or whatever it was) and then you said "ah, I think I'll buy that and clicked add to cart. Then it showed up as €50, nothing in your head thought it might be a mistake?

• Advertisement

Lets for a minute pretend you genuinly didnt know this mistake was happening.
    So when you looked at the list of phones on the website and it said "Iphone 4s €499 (or whatever it was) and then you said "ah, I think I'll buy that and clicked add to cart. Then it showed up as €50, nothing in your head thought it might be a mistake?

At no point did i click on a phone priced at 499. The phone was priced on all pages at 50. So to help your reconstruction...

I searched vodafone for iphone 4s. The phone was listed as €50. I clicked add to cart and checked out. Was i surprised that the item in the cart was priced the same as the website? Nope...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

At no point did i click on a phone priced at 499. The phone was priced on all pages at 50. So to help your reconstruction...

I searched vodafone for iphone 4s. The phone was listed as €50. I clicked add to cart and checked out. Was i surprised that the item in the cart was priced the same as the website? Nope...

Did you happen to notice the other variants of the same phone that ranged from €599 to €799?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Source : https://www.vodafone.ie/terms/shop/

This is the relevant section from the Vodafone sales t&c. It is legal and provided for within the distance selling regulations.

There is no contract if the phone did not ship, therefore you have no legal rights and no right to redress beyond getting the return of your 50 euro.

Giving it anymore head space is unfortunately just wasting your time. There's nothing you can do.

I'm having trouble finding this (within the distance selling regs) which isn't surprising as I can barely keep my eyes open! Any pointers please?

Thanks.

There are examples of companies giving away smartphones... Three do it and tie you to a contract so in effect they take the loss on the phone for the greater good of the contract. Who is to say that Vodafone were not trying something new and inventive to increase their customer base. I am not there to second guess their motives.
    They don't take a loss on the phone. You pay back the cost over the 12/18/24 months as part of the tariff. Just look at the SIM only plans and you'll see that you get a lot more for the price you pay, because you're not paying back what is basically a loan on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Why are people still discussing this? Go outside, read a book, Have sex, Eat some nice food.. Get a life.

You're not getting an Iphone for €50.

• Advertisement

baraca wrote: »
    Why are people still discussing this? Go outside, read a book, Have sex, Eat some nice food.. Get a life.

You're not getting an Iphone for €50.

I tend to do all of those on my iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

If you had not tried a purchase when it was obvously a pricing error, your card would not have been debited...

so are we now to assume that all of vodafones prices are correct?
    how will we know? I have bought some great deals in my time nothing to say that the price wasnt right. A bargain is a bargain im not going to question it! Vodafone PR section is shocking nothing mentioned about this whatsoever nor even a sorry for the inconvenience.

I thought it was too good to be true, turns out it was, no problem. However, vodafone have handled this appallingly for such a big multinational.
    Sweep it under the rug and forget about it is NOT the way to do business in this day and age....

so are we now to assume that all of vodafones prices are correct?
    How could a price be considered to be anything but an error when it's a 92% discount? Sure there's loss leaders out there but not to this extent.

I've complained about Vodafone's service a fair bit in the recent past but I'm with them on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

I'm sorry but taking this up as a "consumer issue" makes you look foolish. This was clearly a mis price. Your not entitled to it. Get over it. Playing the hurt lamb when you tried to put one past Vodafone. Lame. I'll pay your tiny transaction fee if only to spare you more shame.

as a previous posted said, how are we (and i mean everyone on ANY website about any product) to know that the marketing team in any company haven't devised a plan to sell their products and turn a profit on a high priced item??

as such how are we to trust that the prices displayed on said website are true?
    if we were overcharged for whatever reason would they bring it to our attention? i think not.

as a previous posted said, how are we (and i mean everyone on ANY website about any product) to know that the marketing team in any company haven't devised a plan to sell their products and turn a profit on a high priced item??

as such how are we to trust that the prices displayed on said website are true?
    if we were overcharged for whatever reason would they bring it to our attention? i think not.

I doubt it costs €50 to manufacture an iPhone, let alone make any profit on it.

bigpoppa wrote: »
    I'm sorry but taking this up as a "consumer issue" makes you look foolish. This was clearly a mis price. Your not entitled to it. Get over it. Playing the hurt lamb when you tried to put one past Vodafone. Lame. I'll pay your tiny transaction fee if only to spare you more shame.

if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing.....
    i agree with the majority posts on this topic on both sides however this does raise some important issues on the needs for regulation even legislation in order to protect consumers and also companies who market and sell their wares online.....

so please if you have nothing to add, stay quiet.

if you have nothing constructive to say, say nothing.....
    i agree with the majority posts on this topic on both sides however this does raise some important issues on the needs for regulation even legislation in order to protect consumers and also companies who market and sell their wares online.....

so please if you have nothing to add, stay quiet.

To be honest the legislation is all there and in place. I only quoted you on that point my next point is a general one.

You're all as whiney as each other. If you want to explore the legislation open it up, have a read and contribute something rather than attacking each other. Vodaphone's T&Cs are pretty clear (thanks to the guy who posted the link and comment on distance selling) I'm still wondering if they're strictly legal however. As far as I thought the e-commerce Act provided that once an order had been submitted there was a binding contract. Open to correction, which would be nice rather than a load more after hours crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Are people posting on here are trying to make us believe they think an iPhone can be purchased for €50? :rolleyes:

To be honest anyone that purchased one of these knowing it was a pricing error and is now trying to play a game with Vodafone have some serious problems with morality. It was a mistake, payment is accepted automatically and their T&C's state contract isn't final until dispatch of the physical goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

I do have more to add - your hilarious, some of you guys do know that we followed you on the other bargain forum and that it was clear you knew this was an error right? idiotic

• Advertisement

Did you happen to notice the other variants of the same phone that ranged from €599 to €799?

Did I notice different products priced differently? Quite possibly. I'll be honest Kenny, I've been in shops before where different products are priced differently... In fact I find that happens a lot. You could be on to something here, The other day I saw 2 Peugeot 407's on the Buy and Sell with different prices, should I ring the guy with the cheaper one and let him know of the typo?!!

Some interesting points on Terms & Conditions. Worth noting though no contract or T&C can supersede statute law...

Can't see a high court case on this one (although I do see on FB that this has now been escalated by the NCA for another consumer) and although Vodafone, 36 later, have still not responded to me. I have had an offer of €0.20 from another contributor on here (although I thing I broke the T&C of that offer by not shutting up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

94246284.png

Did I notice different products priced differently? Quite possibly. I'll be honest Kenny, I've been in shops before where different products are priced differently... In fact I find that happens a lot. You could be on to something here, The other day I saw 2 Peugeot 407's on the Buy and Sell with different prices, should I ring the guy with the cheaper one and let him know of the typo?!!

If you spotted a car in a showroom that was advertised at less than 10% of the price of the other variants of that particular model, yes, because only a fool would think it was some kind of fantastic special offer they had stumbled on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Embarrassing.

Trying to justify that the price might have been correct at €50.

Embarrassing.

If you spotted a car in a showroom that was advertised at less than 10% of the price of the other variants of that particular model, yes, because only a fool would think it was some kind of fantastic special offer they had stumbled on to.

Kenny, I think you and I differ on the role of the consumer. The consumer, in my view, is not responsible for providing the supplier of a product or service with an evaluation of what they advertise.

In this case, if we accept that Vodafone have made an error, they have still not recognised that they made an error, apologised for the inconvenience or confirmed that they have processed refunds. What they have done is taken consumers money and not provided goods. Good people like yourself have assumed they made a mistake and will refund within 3 days (saying that it is a bank issue that takes 3 days). The fact is that on Day 4 I have not received goods or refund. You can continue to call people foolish or whatever suits but let's not ignore the fact that whatever angle you take, Vodafone cannot be blameless.

Kenny, I think you and I differ on the role of the consumer. The consumer, in my view, is not responsible for providing the supplier of a product or service with an evaluation of what they advertise.

In this case, if we accept that Vodafone have made an error, they have still not recognised that they made an error, apologised for the inconvenience or confirmed that they have processed refunds. What they have done is taken consumers money and not provided goods. Good people like yourself have assumed they made a mistake and will refund within 3 days (saying that it is a bank issue that takes 3 days). The fact is that on Day 4 I have not received goods or refund. You can continue to call people foolish or whatever suits but let's not ignore the fact that whatever angle you take, Vodafone cannot be blameless.

I agree, an apology and refund is required but in this case it's pretty clear that anyone that tried to buy one of these phones must also carry some of the blame, and maybe they'll think twice before trying to take advantage of what was obviously a pricing error.

TBH, I'm surprised you haven't received any notification emails, from the same automated system that took your money in the first place. ..or is it a personal or public apology you are chasing?

I agree, an apology and refund is required but in this case it's pretty clear that anyone that tried to buy one of these phones must also carry some of the blame, and maybe they'll think twice before trying to take advantage of what was obviously a pricing error.

TBH, I'm surprised you haven't received any notification emails, from the same automated system that took your money in the first place. ..or is it a personal or public apology you are chasing?

Might have been obvious to you Kenny but as I mentioned before, we are not all as shrewd as Kenny (some day with your coaching maybe!!)

I share your surprise at the lack of a notification email but I can confirm for you that I have had none. Nor have i had a response to a customer support query on Tuesday.

In asking me what I am chasing, I assume you want to know what I think vodafone could do...

- Put a note on their website advising customers that there was a pricing error
    - Advise of their plan to resolve the issue

If they want to add an apology in this message for taking (5 days and counting) to communicate a resolution plan, that's their call. We all make mistakes Kenny but in a grown up world we have to own up to them...

I foolishly interacted with a company during one of these mistakes. I was young Kenny, I needed the phone!! I'll know better next time. I passed a shop today and they had a sign that said 'up to 90% off' I went in but the girl in there said she never heard of Kenny. I bought nothing... catch me once... eh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I needed the phone!!

I've been in a position where i needed a phone, that's what €25 Nokias are for not i-phones. Nobody needs an i-phone.

• Advertisement

Might have been obvious to you Kenny but as I mentioned before, we are not all as shrewd as Kenny (some day with your coaching maybe!!)

Where are these people that tried to buy this phone in good faith? Are you fighting the corner for a group of people that simply doesn't exist?

Advertisement