Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Iphone for €50 deal

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pkent23

amdublin wrote: »
    What challenge?

That you get your money back :confused:

Well if a bank challenge the charge, the challenge must be successful...
    See Vodafone have not refunded me or some others by the look of it (7 days after the transaction and 5 days after money was taken). If they do not refund after 15 days, then (at least in my case) the bank will challenge the payment to vodafone... if that is successful money would then be refunded.

Hope that helps clear up your confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

pkent23 wrote: »
    Well if a bank challenge the charge, the challenge must be successful...
    See Vodafone have not refunded me or some others by the look of it (7 days after the transaction and 5 days after money was taken). If they do not refund after 15 days, then (at least in my case) the bank will challenge the payment to vodafone... if that is successful money would then be refunded.

Hope that helps clear up your confusion.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Well this has thought me a lesson, not to go chancing mispriced goods!! :D Is it worth ringing Vodafone about the refund or should we just wait??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I got my refund from this very promptly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Yeah, just wanted to let you know that I rang on on Tuesday when I noticed the money was taken and told Vodafone that I noticed the money was actually taken.

It got kinda heated somewhat through as I was explaining to him that they shouldn't have taken the money at all, since the email said the order was on hold since it was placed. Anyway, going by the email I said if it money wasn't back in my account within 3 working days they would hear from be again. Not really sure how they managed it, but the money was back in my account the next day(Wednesday).

While I agree, some knew it was a mis-price and some were chancing their arms in getting the phone for €50. The OP who posted about it couldn't have known that 100% and in all fairness, Vodafone had no right to take the money from our accounts and have no excuse for doing so.

Most people aren't realizing that when Vodafone took the money, they were effectively accepting the offer and this is even compounded more by the fact they said the order was on hold since it was placed(if that was true, then the money would not have been taken and simply left in a standing account until it fell back into our own accounts).

Also, anyone who thinks Vodafone's terms and conditions can ignore contract law are mistaken, also keep in mind that their own terms state that once you receive an online confirmation the order cannot be cancelled and while they try to intend this as you not being able to cancel the order, they in fact worded it so means neither party can cancel the order.

Vodafone took money they shouldn't have as the orders were supposedly on hold since Saturday and rejected, now if an order is rejected, then no money is allowed to leave the account and while being on a pre-auth hold is okay, Vodafone actually took the money which constitutes the order going through and not being rejected, however they went further in the wrong direction by promising the money would be back in our accounts within 3 working days and while for me this was correct, it was not the case for many people and they still haven't issued them their refunds.

I understand people here still think they have a right to the iPhone(you don't really) but Vodafone didn't have the right to the money and are responsible for this and for the fact they stipulated to a refund within 3 days for everyone with that email and they have't come through on this. Not really sure what this means, but Vodafone are responsible for this alone and it has nothing to do with the original mis-price

So some people here need to stop making this about the iPhone and more about the refund and the others who aren't involved at all, really need to give up trying to blame people for being angry over this as they have every right to be as I would be if they didn't already give me the refund.

Anyway, I do hope this get's resolved quickly and while it was a fun ride hoping we would get iPhones, that is over now and I just hope everyone get's the refund soon.

• Advertisement

I got my refund on tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

I got my refund on tuesday.
    I got mine on Wednesday. The girlfriend order however was cancelled payment went through. No email like i got also still no sign of a refund a week later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

I only discovered that I was charged on yesterday. They charged me on Wednesday and when I tried to buy it on Saturday the transaction would not go through and a message stating that my card would not be charged came up.

I've written them a nasty email demanding my money or the phone. They didn't at any stage give me a confirmation, just took my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyup

seanmacc wrote: »
    I only discovered that I was charged on yesterday. They charged me on Wednesday and when I tried to buy it on Saturday the transaction would not go through and a message stating that my card would not be charged came up.

I've written them a nasty email demanding my money or the phone. They didn't at any stage give me a confirmation, just took my money.

I tried to buy the phone at the price of 50e and got an error which made it look like the transaction did not go through. I got no order number, no confirmation screen, no confirmation email. I got an email a few days later titled:

"Problems with your recent visit to Vodafone.ie?"

and in it, it said:
    Hi there,

We noticed that you visited our online shop but didn’t complete your order.

This is a courtesy email to enquire if you’ve experienced any technical problems whilst visiting our site which prevented you from completing your order?
    Was there anything you weren’t happy with? Your feedback is important. Please let us know here if you have any suggestions.

If you experienced any difficulties, please accept our apologies. If you’d like to go back to our shop to complete your purchase, just click here. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Vodafone Online Shop.

If you have subsequently completed a purchase with us, please disregard this email.

Thanks,

The Vodafone Online Shop

So by all accounts, it looked like my transaction did not go through.

Today, I noticed a charge from Vodafone on my credit card statement for 50e! I have emailed them too. They will get back to me within 4 working days..

seanmacc, can you update this thread so I (and others) can see how you got on? I'll do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Same as some of you guys who're still waiting for refunds.

My order on 2nd was unsuccessful and I never received any confirmation/cancellation/refund-info from them about the order.
    The €50 was put on hold when I attempted to place the order, and on 4th I was charged, and I haven't been refunded.

So I e-mailed today asking for a refund or delivery.
    Will let y'all know how it goes.

Also, on 2nd, I managed to successfully place an order via credit card after the debit card was unsuccessful.
    I got the confirmation webpage, confirmation e-mail, cancellation e-mail, and then the refund-promising e-mail.
    I assume the refund from this order came through like it did for the others who got those e-mails but haven't checked yet.

I managed to get what I think is the order number of the unsuccessful order from the "Track your order" facility of their website.
    I was able to sign in there using the details of the successful order.
    Strangely, there was never an entry there with an order number corresponding to my successful order's order number.

• Advertisement

onlyup wrote: »
    seanmacc, can you update this thread so I (and others) can see how you got on? I'll do the same.

Still awaiting any notification from vodafone. If you have not received a refund at this point, it might be best to contact the bank and report this. If you paid by Visa credit, the policy that AIB advise is that after 15 days if the goods/service have not/will not be provided, then they will challenge the charge directly to vodafone. To support this, you need to demonstrate that you tried to resolve it (keep any emails and times and dates of calls)

If you want to escalate to the likes of ComReg/NCA, ask Vodafone to provide a customer complaint number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Just in case anyone hasn't seen this thread yet;

You can contact Aoife from Voda on boards about it:

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056875627/1

Money refunded to me by Vodafone today. Hopefully everyone else gets sorted out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭onlyup

pkent23 wrote: »
    Money refunded to me by Vodafone today. Hopefully everyone else gets sorted out as well.

Same here :)

Just got refunded yesterday.

I'm still waiting for a written response from them as to why 1. I can't have an I-phone 4s for 50euro. 2. They took my money despite their website saying that there is an error and my card has not been charged. 3. Why they haven't proactively contacted my to explain their predicament 4. Why it has taken them so long to refund my money.

At this point I think they should really give me an I-Phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

At this point I think they should really give me an I-Phone apology.

FYP

Yamanoto wrote: »
    FYP

Nothing says your sorry more than an I-Phone 4s

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You should send one to Vodafone for taking the piss so.

You should send one to Vodafone for taking the piss so.

Who was taking the piss?

Remember the Aer Lingus "Sale" where they were selling trans-Atlantic flights for a pittance and then tried to retract the offer saying it was an error.

The only people taking the piss here are Vodafone who's IT infrastructure is obviously a shambles and now are being extremely tight lipped for fear of actually having to honor the offer.

If you have any sympathy for Vodafone who purchased the most advanced telecommunications infrastructure in the country when they bought Eircell and have milked it for every penny before running their business into the ground through lack of investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭newport2

Except an I-Phone 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who was taking the piss?

Remember the Aer Lingus "Sale" where they were selling trans-Atlantic flights for a pittance and then tried to retract the offer saying it was an error.

The only people taking the piss here are Vodafone who's IT infrastructure is obviously a shambles and now are being extremely tight lipped for fear of actually having to honor the offer.

If you have any sympathy for Vodafone who purchased the most advanced telecommunications infrastructure in the country when they bought Eircell and have milked it for every penny before running their business into the ground through lack of investment.
    Someone missed a zero when putting the price up on the site, lets not get all hysterical. Pretty much everyone that ordered the phones knew it was a mistake. The rest should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Just got refunded yesterday.

I'm still waiting for a written response from them as to why 1. I can't have an I-phone 4s for 50euro. 2. They took my money despite their website saying that there is an error and my card has not been charged. 3. Why they haven't proactively contacted my to explain their predicament 4. Why it has taken them so long to refund my money.

At this point I think they should really give me an I-Phone.

1. Because it was a pricing error. The law protects retailers from going out of business for misplacing decimal points. It's called invitation to treat. Do you expect vodafone to take a €450 hit per unit on however many hundreds of orders went through? You also did NOT enter the contract with good faith, you knew it was an error and chanced it.
    2. Because their transactions are set up to do that automatically. It makes invitation to treat more difficult, as technically they took your money, but it would make the whole system incredibly slow and inefficient if it was not automatic and had to be approved manually. So to counteract that they have a condition under their terms and conditions, which presumably you have read by now, which states that the contract is not completed until the item is shipped.
    3 and 4. Because they are dealing with an absolute ****storm and procesing the refunds before angry chancers get angrier is enough to be getting on with. You'll eventually get an apology. Not that jumping in on an obvious error and then getting pissed when it (obviously) doesn't materialise deserves an apology..

1. Because it was a pricing error. The law protects retailers from going out of business for misplacing decimal points. It's called invitation to treat. Do you expect vodafone to take a €450 hit per unit on however many hundreds of orders went through? You also did NOT enter the contract with good faith, you knew it was an error and chanced it.
    2. Because their transactions are set up to do that automatically. It makes invitation to treat more difficult, as technically they took your money, but it would make the whole system incredibly slow and inefficient if it was not automatic and had to be approved manually. So to counteract that they have a condition under their terms and conditions, which presumably you have read by now, which states that the contract is not completed until the item is shipped.
    3 and 4. Because they are dealing with an absolute ****storm and procesing the refunds before angry chancers get angrier is enough to be getting on with. You'll eventually get an apology. Not that jumping in on an obvious error and then getting pissed when it (obviously) doesn't materialise deserves an apology..

Seeing how your a fan of the law, take a look at the Consumer Prrotection Act 2007. You need to remember that T&C's can't replace that law.

With regard to your comment that this contributor did NOT enter into the contract in good faith; Putting something in capital letters doesn't make it true. You can't know this persons thought process.

Clearly this person has said that they got a system error saying that the transaction could not be completed but was charged. No automated system should charge an incomplete transaction. That is ridiculous. Your point (number 2) is so flawed it is difficult to even help you.

What makes you think that a company who, almost 2 weeks on, have not acknowledged on their own website where the error was made are going to follow up with each individual and apologise. For one that seems to pride themselves on spotting the obvious, I think you have your head in the clouds on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

This is still going on ? The hilarity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Not sure if this has been mentioned as I read the first 5 pages and got bored with the same arguments.

When you purchase something on most sites its goes into an automated process and a 'shadow charge' is placed on your card. The funds haven'y been taken although it appears they have as you can access them - this is to ensure that you cant then go off and spend that money whilst the transaction is being processed.

This is done by the bank, not Vodafone or any other retailer. If you or the retailer cancel the order it takes a few days for this money to become available again. It was never taken, never went into their account it was just frozen in their account. Once again, this is the banks policy, not Vodafone.

Just thought its worth mentioning and if its been said before, my apologies.

RoboRat wrote: »
    When you purchase something on most sites its goes into an automated process and a 'shadow charge' is placed on your card.

Yes but if you don't purchase it because of an error on the site, no charge should be taken.

Yes but if you don't purchase it because of an error on the site, no charge should be taken.

Not sure what you mean?

Its all an automated process - The order is placed on a site and at that point a shadow charge is placed by the bank. Vodafone couldn't have somebody screening the orders as they are being placed, it would be impossible for a company or their size and to be honest, completely pointless.

At this point your order is being processed and the money has not been taken but the bank has frozen the funds to ensure that funds are there if the order is processed. Vodafone have not taken the money and will not do so until the order is processed. The fact that the money is not available is down to the bank and their policies and to be fair, the banks have to cover themselves too otherwise people could be placing orders well in excess of what they have at hand as transactions are not automatically deducted from your account - ie, banking is not done in real time but has a time lag and the banks need to cover themselves.

The orders are then either automatically fulfilled or manually fulfilled. If they are rejected then the customer has to wait for the shadow charge to be lifted by the bank.

If the order is rejected then I think that the entire transaction should be refunded, that includes any charges etc. I am not sure whether that happens but again, this needs to be followed up with the bank as the charge is down their end and nothing to do with Vodafone.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean?

When attempting to complete the purchase, many users got a message saying that their transaction could not be completed, their accounts have not been debited, yet when they went into their accounts, money had been taken.

Totally agree that an automated process should kick in and show a debit entry when you place an order but only at the point of confirmation. If vodafone take money before the confirmation of an order and advise that they have not taken it, that is completely down to an error on their side.

When attempting to complete the purchase, many users got a message saying that their transaction could not be completed, their accounts have not been debited, yet when they went into their accounts, money had been taken.

Ah right, get you now. Yeah thats a big screw up alright, that shouldn't happen and they need to resolve that asap.

I would say that as soon as an order is placed its going into pending regardless of whether the order was even confirmed. I think that is more down to Vodafone spotting their mistake and rather than removing the product, disabling the confirmation process but somewhere along the ways the forgot to disable the actual order process.

• Advertisement

Finally got an email respose from Vodafone.
    Thank you for contacting us with your query. Please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your query.

I regret that you are very dissatisfied with your recent experience with Vodafone. I can assure you that we react to all correspondence received from our customers and I have passed your comments onto our relevant department, requesting that these issues be addressed on a regular basis.

At Vodafone we are constantly striving to ensure that our customer’s needs are consistently met.

The order was cancelled due to system error. We would advise you to re-order the product online or visit the nearest Vodafone store.

For more information on Vodafone's self care options and on our Products and Services please visit our Website at <http://www.vodafone.ie>

Yours sincerely,

Doesn't really give me the explanation I was looking for as to why they charged my card despite their website saying they wouldn't and ignoring any attempt I made to contact them and not sending me an I-phone 4s for 50euro.

Advertisement