Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo s80 1.6d Drive

Options
  • 05-02-2013 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am currently test driving a 2010 Volvo s80 1.6d Drive and have to say I am loving it.

Just wanted to know if anyone has one and what MPG they are getting. I have it on a two day test drive/trial and initially it was looking incredibly fuel efficient but now I am not so sure.

It was showing 0 km left to empty tank when I started it in the forecourt and the garage put €20 in it. Showed up as 190 km left to empty tank but then kept going up. So by the time I had 100 km done it was showing 150 km left.

What do you all think. Interested to hear from current owners or people familiar with this car.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

250km for €20 is circa 50mpg at a rough guess. Sounds good alright but I always thought the 1.6D was a step too far putting it in the S80.

I'd test it with a full load on board and see how it handles that just in case. At a guess I reckon it's going to struggle and MPG will fall as a result.

Unless you're getting quite a nice discount on one I'd look to a 2.0D minimum but that's just me.

Otherwise the fuel economy sounds good enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

Thanks 166Man,

I've been driving mainly around town over the last day or so, so that's not bad for town driving I suppose.

As you say, with a heavy load it may be a different story but i'd usually be driving on the motorway when I have a heavy load (passengers, kids buggy, bags etc), so maybe it would still be efficient in that instance.

Even though it is a 1.6, it's by no means sluggish. It takes off nicely at roundabouts, turns, traffic lights etc.

It's a fabulous car to drive so really the only thing I want to make sure of is the fuel economy. I might ask to keep it for another day and if they agree I might have a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=197021
    107.5bhp
    69.09 bhp/ton
    0-60km/h in 12.4s

Jesus wept. Reminds me of my old 1.4 Focus. A car that size should not be that underpowered. Motor tax madness.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 2.0L D3 was far more efficient, or at worst the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

MrDerp wrote: »
    107.5bhp
    69.09 bhp/ton
    0-60km/h in 12.4s

Jesus wept. Reminds me of my old 1.4 Focus. A car that size should not be that underpowered. Motor tax madness.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 2.0L D3 was far more efficient, or at worst the same.
    The s80 has twice the torque of a 1.4 Focus.
    I've test driven the 2l FF s80 and that was smooth if slow taking off. My dad's mondeo is the 90hp version and that never feels slow in normal driving due to an abundance of torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

107.5bhp
    69.09 bhp/ton
    0-60km/h in 12.4s
    172.39 bhp/ton - that's more like it.

Doesn't the S80 come in a T5 variety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

107.5bhp
    69.09 bhp/ton
    0-60km/h in 12.4s

As i said, performance isn't an issue as far as I can tell. I've driven it around all day today and yesterday and it has more than enough torque for me.

I was talking about fuel economy. The link you posted tells me nothing more than I already new. That info is easily available online. I was looking to hear from current drivers who have hands on experience.

Anyway, to give an update, it is looking like I will get around 270 - 300 kms to €20 (1.495 cent per litre). That seems really good to me. From that I think I am right in saying I am getting between 55 and 60 MPG.

Hopefully I'm right. Thanks for all the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

In fairness while it will definately not win any 1km drag races the S80 is not a very big car. Size wise it is probably a little smaller than a current model Mondeo which has the same 115bhp engine and manages ok with it. If the OP does alot of motorway driving or has passengers in the car alot then the 2.0d will obviously be more suitable and fuel efficent.

BTW I was in a previous shape S80 D5 auto taxi yesterday and it was a comfortable barge, well able to move too.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

As i said, performance isn't an issue as far as I can tell. I've driven it around all day today and yesterday and it has more than enough torque for me.

I was talking about fuel economy. The link you posted tells me nothing more than I already new. That info is easily available online. I was looking to hear from current drivers who have hands on experience.

Anyway, to give an update, it is looking like I will get around 270 - 300 kms to €20 (1.495 cent per litre). That seems really good to me. From that I think I am right in saying I am getting between 55 and 60 MPG.

6 d

I got about the same 55-60 mpg in S60 with the 1.6 d2 engine ..that was dublin to kerry and back and driving around ring of kerry with 4 people and full load. I know its not S80 but same engine and very impressed overall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

107.5bhp
    69.09 bhp/ton
    0-60km/h in 12.4s

Don't get too carried away with peak power (and for that matter torque) figures. These peak figure don't necessarily translate into real world performance in a meaningful way. The "area under the curve" is what really determines how the engine will pull (at least at full throttle), on or off the track. Problem is that there is no agreed way to do this, you'll have to look at a dyno curve and decide for yourself. Rough way of doing it is looking at where peak torque is delivered vs peak power. The further these two are away from each other, the more "flexible" and responsive the engine is likely to be.

You can get the S80 with a T5, D5, T6 (:D) or 4.4 V8 which was designed by Yamaha to Volvo's specs using their modular design. I'm sure there's some other variants back in Europe. Over here its basically the non-diesels and 6cylinders or more only. The 4.4 with AWD is pretty nippy off the line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    In fairness while it will definately not win any 1km drag races the S80 is not a very big car. Size wise it is probably a little smaller than a current model Mondeo which has the same 115bhp engine and manages ok with it. If the OP does alot of motorway driving or has passengers in the car alot then the 2.0d will obviously be more suitable and fuel efficent.

BTW I was in a previous shape S80 D5 auto taxi yesterday and it was a comfortable barge, well able to move too.

Current Ford 1.6 TDCI is different to it's cousins. It's got an 8v head. Not commonly known.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »

Tbh t'would probably be fine if there was only ever the driver in the car and no weight in the boot. However I reckon with four adults on board and a bootful of bags the kerbweight would presumably rise from 1600kg up to about 1900kg nearly two tonnes.

A 1.6D pulling a two tonne car is not the recipe for economy I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi All,

I am currently test driving a 2010 Volvo s80 1.6d Drive and have to say I am loving it.

Just wanted to know if anyone has one and what MPG they are getting. I have it on a two day test drive/trial and initially it was looking incredibly fuel efficient but now I am not so sure.

It was showing 0 km left to empty tank when I started it in the forecourt and the garage put €20 in it. Showed up as 190 km left to empty tank but then kept going up. So by the time I had 100 km done it was showing 150 km left.

What do you all think. Interested to hear from current owners or people familiar with this car.

Cheers.
    You won't be able to tell from the trip computer. The only way to accurately gauge MPG is to brim the tank and calculate from the figures when you refill.

Anan1 wrote: »
    You won't be able to tell from the trip computer. The only way to accurately gauge MPG is to brim the tank and calculate from the figures when you refill.

The guy wants a rough guide on the fuel economy for his two day test drive. He's hardly going to fill the entire tank with circa €100 worth of diesel and hand it back to the garage the next day. A full tank on that car will be showing 800 miles to empty roughly speaking, total waste of money to suggest he fill the tank for a two day test drive. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

166man wrote: »
    ....A 1.6D pulling a two tonne car is not the recipe for economy I'd have thought.

In urban conditions it'd be poor, but on a but a long motorway run it'd surprise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Apologies, I didn't meant to rubbish the car itself. An s80 is on my wishlist for next car (I have a petrol s40 right now). What I meant to imply was that I find the D2 unremarkable for a car of that size. When I finally buy a big car, I want it to roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Just looking on donedeal at 06/07 petrol S80's and there's serious bargains to be had.

Yes, the tax is a killer (on the 2.5L), but look at what you're getting!

The perfect candidate for a LPG conversion.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4559004

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4547969

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4555921

Advertisement