Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Delhi O'Deli and other places to eat

• 05-02-2013 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Mod note: Original thread removed temporarily while we decide what to do with it. Please continue here about other places to eat.
    Tar.

so anyways.....

off topic: where is this delhi place people keep mentioning?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Zombienosh wrote: »
    so anyways.....

off topic: where is this delhi place people keep mentioning?

Moore St. I haven't been yet but it's supposed to be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is on Moore street.

http://www.delhiodeli.com/Menu.php

Someone mentioned earlier, that the menu items are less filling.
    That is not always the case. At least for me. A dosa or kebab would be plenty for lunch. I've made the mistake of over ordering before.

Me too. Some items are more starterish and you may need to double up, but dosas and kebabs are massive! The daily fiver curries are whatever size you make them also.
    It's not a fancy place but it's very comforting with its 100% vegetarian/a lot of vegan dishes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I want the pie! Do deli o delhi still do the 5e mix of dishes?

I want the pie! Do deli o delhi still do the 5e mix of dishes?

They do. It is 5.99 now though.

The pie place serve meat too though. Alot of meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Moore St. I haven't been yet but it's supposed to be very good.

I've only been once (I'm not in the city too often anymore) but it was fantastic. Great value and very friendly. I look forward to a return visit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Delhi O'Deli was recommended to me by more than one Indian friend. One of them said it's as close to home cooked Indian food he's had since he arrived in Ireland.

I thought it was lovely. Very casual, relaxing and some unusual items on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Is it only newish? I dunno how I haven't noticed it before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd say it's there at least 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I've been there a couple of times now, and the food is lovely - the €5 buffet is terrific value. However, the rest of the menu is a mystery to me. I'd love to go there with somebody who knows their Indian food who could guide me through the options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I've spent a good bit of time in India and I can confirm that the food is definitely as close to the real thing as you're likely to find in Ireland.
    I've been there a couple of times now, and the food is lovely - the €5 buffet is terrific value. However, the rest of the menu is a mystery to me. I'd love to go there with somebody who knows their Indian food who could guide me through the options.

A good place to start would be the masala dosa. It's a rice-flour crepe/pancake filled with tumeric potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Moonbaby wrote: »
    They do. It is 5.99 now though.

The pie place serve meat too though. Alot of meat.

Where is this Pie place then??

Washout wrote: »
    Where is this Pie place then??

It is in the Moore Street Mall.
    There is an entrance just beside Lidl there.
    The foodhall is in a basement, you take an escalator down to it.
    The pie place is the balkan grill, It is against the back wall.
    After the Mauritian, Indian etc buffets.
    Cheese is my favorite. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I was in Delhi o deli today, blaming all of you for the subtle brain-washing. Ages since I was there, dunno why I don't go way more, it's so good, got the masala dosa, yummy, surprised that that's actually vegan too since it's a pancake type thing.

Great place, can't wait to go back. The daily fiver was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Lurve is back open again, I hope it works out this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Wow.. didn't see that coming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

It's closed again... walked by today and the main signage had been taken down. Apparently they're looking for a new location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Peanut wrote: »
    It's closed again... walked by today and the main signage had been taken down. Apparently they're looking for a new location.
    they posted this on FB the other day:
    Lurve - Fabulous Vegan Food Tenancy issues. We couldn't agree terms to extend our agreement. So we need somewhere new.
    Thursday at 21:34

not sure why they would have only agreed to a short-term lease, maybe there's more to it than that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Meh, I don't really care about Lurve, to be honest. Every time I tried to go in for food they were randomly closed. Then I'd check facebook when I got home and they'd have announced last minute that they weren't opening that day. Silly carry on :mad:

cosmic wrote: »
    Meh, I don't really care about Lurve, to be honest. Every time I tried to go in for food they were randomly closed. Then I'd check facebook when I got home and they'd have announced last minute that they weren't opening that day. Silly carry on :mad:

I agree completely. I can't take them seriously at all. They're clearly not ready to be open for business. I was pretty shocked to see them asking for volunteers on Facebook to 'come in and do a shift'. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Yeah, Can't take them seriously. It's a shame but I've resigned myself to forgetting about that place.

According to their Facebook page Lurve is re-opening on Thursday in Temple Bar at Lucy's Lounge.

The opening hours are Thur-Sun 12-6, which seems fairly realistic for starting out. Hopefully they've learned some lessons from last time, which it's fair to say was an absolute disaster.

The location is great too, although I absolutely hate the hippy-dippy aesthetic of Lucy's Lounge - it really feeds into vegan stereotypes.

I'm open to giving the place another chance, particularly if there's no more of this using volunteers as staff stuff that went on last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭superb choice of username

This Dehli place intrigues me - I've walked past it tons of times and felt guilty that I enjoyed the smells that come out of the place - I had NO idea that it was wholly Veggie and mostly vegan :D Really must go there soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Just found out Delhi O'Deli closed. Noooooo. Anyone know if it reopened elsewhere?

Can't believe it has been a few years since I have eaten there. Where does the time go....

I was raging about it, think they just closed. This was a couple years ago I think lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

I was raging about it, think they just closed. This was a couple years ago I think lol

I know the owner. Business was not great to be fair...he had no choice despite best efforts to keep it open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I know the owner. Business was not great to be fair...he had no choice despite best efforts to keep it open

I always thought they were being forced out, like the Paris Bakery, because of the whole Moore Street redevelopment carry on. Either way it's a big loss, I loved that place.

To me, he could have charged way more than he did, it was far too cheap. The food was amazing, real pity. It was pretty much our number 1 place to go when coming into town and felt we were cheating them paying so little.

Advertisement