Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infrared Patio Heater advice

Options
  • 05-02-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭

Now that winter is over it's time to get back out on the patio again. We're planning to get a patio heater this year to extend our season. We'll probably get a wall mounted infrared but would appreciate any feedback on the following:
    1. Quartz (shortwave) versus Ceramic (longwave)? My preference would be for quartz based on claimed efficiency but are they too intense?
    2. There's a 10amp mcb on the circuit so we'll be limited to a 1.8/2 kw unit. What kind of coverage can we realistically expect, 6-7sqm?
    3. It will be mounted under an awning; do we need to get an IP65 rated heater or is IP24 enough?
    4. Tansun/ATC seem to be within our budget; has anyone any experience with their models?
    5. Apart from Eurosales/Meteor, do any other Irish retailers stock patio heaters?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

josip wrote: »
    Now that winter is over it's time to get back out on the patio again. We're planning to get a patio heater this year to extend our season. We'll probably get a wall mounted infrared but would appreciate any feedback on the following:
    1. Quartz (shortwave) versus Ceramic (longwave)? My preference would be for quartz based on claimed efficiency but are they too intense?
    2. There's a 10amp mcb on the circuit so we'll be limited to a 1.8/2 kw unit. What kind of coverage can we realistically expect, 6-7sqm?
    3. It will be mounted under an awning; do we need to get an IP65 rated heater or is IP24 enough?
    4. Tansun/ATC seem to be within our budget; has anyone any experience with their models?
    5. Apart from Eurosales/Meteor, do any other Irish retailers stock patio heaters?
    Thanks.

no advise on which type of heater is best for you,im afraid
    i would advise you getting the heater on a socket circuit protected by a rcd ,however

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There's a 10amp mcb on the circuit so we'll be limited to a 1.8/2 kw unit. What kind of coverage can we realistically expect, 6-7sqm?
    It may be possible to change the MCB for a larger one. This will depend on the cable size and the existing load on that cable. 2kW of heating outdoors will not do a lot unless it is aiming right at you in my opinion.
    It will be mounted under an awning; do we need to get an IP65 rated heater or is IP24 enough?
    IP24 is far too low for outdoor use. I would not go below IP54 for anything outdoors.

Apart from Eurosales/Meteor, do any other Irish retailers stock patio heaters?
    Kellighers or NEW will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

OP I recommend an extended pub crawl with a pack of 20 and a notebook.

Check out the outdoor smoking areas in each pub, many of them have electric wall-mounted heaters, you'll get a good feel for the range & heat output of of each type.

For a good sample size you'll want to hit about a dozen pubs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭josip

deandean wrote: »

For a good sample size you'll want to hit about a dozen pubs :D

Thanks Dean, but I think that the market research would deteriorate as the night progressed.
    Pub 1 - Notes: Heat 8/10, Appearance 6/10, Power consumption 7/10.
    Pub 12 - "Jaysus, there's a great heat outa dat!"

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

two companys i would recomend that do patio heaters.

Atc, based in tallaght.........www.atc.ie

Dimpco, based in santry. www.dimplex.co.uk

deal with both these companys daily and no problems that come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rossa150c

This post has been deleted.

Nothing bought yet due to limited budget and weather not very enticing for sitting outdoors yet. We'll probably go with the ATC 1.8KW. They seem to be very reasonably priced, available to purchase locally and the company recommended by other boardies. Going with the 1.8Kw means we can use a convenient lighting circuit with a minimum of chasing. Our sparks has told us he can replace the circuit MCB with an RCBO.
    I'll update here whenever/whatever we do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rossa150c

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Nothing bought yet due to limited budget and weather not very enticing for sitting outdoors yet. We'll probably go with the ATC 1.8KW. They seem to be very reasonably priced, available to purchase locally and the company recommended by other boardies. Going with the 1.8Kw means we can use a convenient lighting circuit with a minimum of chasing. Our sparks has told us he can replace the circuit MCB with an RCBO.
    I'll update here whenever/whatever we do.

lighting circuits are not suitable for these

lighting circuits are not suitable for these

Thanks for the advice Mike. I'm not an electrician, can you explain why not? It's a circuit originally intended for outdoor lighting that doesn't have anything else on it. It's 3 core cable. My understanding is that the 10a MCB would be replaced by an equivalent RCD/RCBO.

• Advertisement

rossa150c wrote: »
    Might be handy in case is leave it running. They cost €35. The ATC outdoor heater 1.8kw was 110 +vat.

Very shrewd investment Rossa. It'd be very easy and expensive to leave an oudoor heater on for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Very shrewd investment Rossa. It'd be very easy and expensive to leave an oudoor heater on for a few days.

Is that not the point of the boost master switch? To prevent this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Thanks for the advice Mike. I'm not an electrician, can you explain why not? It's a circuit originally intended for outdoor lighting that doesn't have anything else on it. It's 3 core cable. My understanding is that the 10a MCB would be replaced by an equivalent RCD/RCBO.

a 'dedicated' circuit may be ok

even then it's not the norm as you're getting into 13amp sockets and spurs off 10amp circuits

as the appliance prob comes with plug fitted

ted1 wrote: »
    Is that not the point of the boost master switch? To prevent this.

That's my understanding of why Rossa got a boost master switch and why it was a shrewd investment.

Have I missed something from your post?

shrewd
    /SHro͞od/

Adjective
    • Having or showing sharp powers of judgment; astute.
    • (esp. of weather) Piercingly cold: "a shrewd east wind".

:D:D:D:D

Did you do honours English for the Leaving Indie?

ha ha no way, google is yer only man :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Use2Save

Mod Note:

Use2Save. As this is a first post from you it could assumed that there is an attempt to advertise on boards.ie I'm not saying this is the case but usually we'd need to see some sort of history of posting here before posts with links to products are allowed.

People can advertise on boards but they have to pay for it.

Use2Save wrote: »
    Just a quick note. There is now an innovative alternative to the "Hot Head Busters" we see on the walls of outdoor areas of pubs, etc.

Use2Save, do you have any connection with this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

I am looking for one for tomorrow, I think something like 2 KW is what I will go for. I do have a power circuit suitable for 13 amp appliances

• Advertisement
Advertisement