Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optilase Laser Eye Surgery

Options
  • 05-02-2013 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to book a consultation with Optilase this week for laser eye surgery. I chose them because they're based in Galway, where I live.
    I need advice from past patients, such as:

What kind of surgery did you get - standard lasek/lasik or wavefront lasek/lasik?
    (and can you also explain what the difference is here apart from price)

What was your prescription before surgery?

How much did it cost?

What was the waiting time from booking the surgery to the day of surgery itself?

How long did the recovery process take?

What was your prescription after surgery?

Any problems in the months/years since?

I really appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

Got it done in 2010
    Had very bad eyesight short sighted
    The laser surgery costs about €4,500 but you can claim some of the cost back in tax at the rate you pay and from your health insurance if you have any
    Waiting times can vary but usually weekend appointments are longer
    Go for the most advance treatment you can afford usually the dearest
    Your eyes can feel very sore after wards like someone gave you a black eye but should be ok afer a few day
    If you have any questions or doubts please phone them they are very helpful take your drops as you are told and have a good pair of sunglasses for your eyes and try and look after your eyes
    Read the booklet before you get it done and have someone to pick you up afterwards and get a lot of sleep aswell
    No problems but you are a lot more conscience of your eyes and you may have drier eyes and itchy eyes and they may be more prone to letting dirt in you may also get a "halo" over bright lights
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I got wavefront - was -6 so pretty bad. Went with my mam, as I was convinced I'd need a white stick on the way out. Cost just under 3k - they do a 30% discount if you're a member of a union (which I'm not) but mentioned it and they gave it to me on the spot.

Not a problem, could see well enough to drive home if I wanted to (I didn't). One eye was perfect right away, the other one took a day to come into focus. Drops sorted that out. I got it done on a Saturday and was in work fine on Monday.

Better than 20/20 now. +1 on the sunglasses for the trip home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cindamyricks

Got it my laser eye surgery done 6 months back at Evergreen Eye Care, Toronto! Had a pathetic eye sight but now I can see so well! They did a pretty good job, did not keep me waiting and the fee was affordable!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 louisewalsh23

Had surgery in optilase this morning. Can see perfectly now. Had pain for about an hour when I got home, went to sleep and woke up perfect. Best €2600 I ever spent! Anyone else planning on going pm me, id be delighted to refer, you get €100 discount and I get €100 back!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Getting the LASEK done myself. Wondering if anyone who had it done could tell how long before you can play sports? I mostly do running myself not contact sports.

• Advertisement

I had LASIK but went out for a jog 3 days later. Wear sunglasses in case particles get in your eyes. I was also very careful to keep rubbing my forehead to make sure sweat didn't go in my eye as you can't rub your eyes at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

sm3ar wrote: »
    Getting the LASEK done myself. Wondering if anyone who had it done could tell how long before you can play sports? I mostly do running myself not contact sports.

You can run the day after. A week for most other sports. LASEK is better for getting you back to active life quicker than LASIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eva_

HI! I'm getting Lasik done this week with Optilase and I'm looking for someone who had it done there as well, so I can have 100 off and the person will get 100 back :)

Eva_ wrote: »
    HI! I'm getting Lasik done this week with Optilase and I'm looking for someone who had it done there as well, so I can have 100 off and the person will get 100 back :)

Send you a PM :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Hi Folks,

Am due for Lasik in Optilase next week, so if anyone has the 100 euro referral to send on please PM me.

Cheers!

• Advertisement

I can help you out with this, PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Hi folks, just wondering if any of you guys had surgery performed since last posting on this thread (JPM4 or Eva perhaps?) and how it all worked out for ye? I've finally got around to booking a consultation for this month.

How much did it work out if ye did and what treatments did ye go for?

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Hatchet89

skerry wrote: »
    Hi folks, just wondering if any of you guys had surgery performed since last posting on this thread (JPM4 or Eva perhaps?) and how it all worked out for ye? I've finally got around to booking a consultation for this month.

How much did it work out if ye did and what treatments did ye go for?

Thanks in advance!!

Just had a consultation last week.
    I'm suitable for the treatment and very interested...only problem is the price. After discounts I was quoted a little over €3,000 which is reasonable. The issue for me is how much they require up front. €200 booking deposit and €1,800 on the day. Thought I might be able to spread out the cost a bit more. Looks like I have a little bit more saving to do before I can go any further!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Hatchet89 wrote: »
    Just had a consultation last week.
    I'm suitable for the treatment and very interested...only problem is the price. After discounts I was quoted a little over €3,000 which is reasonable. The issue for me is how much they require up front. €200 booking deposit and €1,800 on the day. Thought I might be able to spread out the cost a bit more. Looks like I have a little bit more saving to do before I can go any further!

I was quoted around the same price. It's a bit of an outlay initially but at least breaking the second half of the payment over time takes the pressure off after the initial cost. Also, MED1 taxback is a welcome boost the following year, claimed mine back this year and it was straightforward enough.

Good luck with it if you go ahead. Any questions re procedure or anything give a shout.

Advertisement