Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Anyone wrote: »
    Its great when he does play, he is up for every free and corner. No idea if its instructions or what, but you can definately see that he wants a goal this season.

Ya, against City he was all fox in the box!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

9th of December 2006 was his last goal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Melion wrote: »

Still a better striker then Torres. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

nucker wrote: »
    As much as he was a good player, I don't think he was a legend. He scored a few own goals in critical games, though Liverpool may of not lost cup finals due to that reason, I can't think he will be a legend. I see him more as a commentator than a manager, though I am not going to berate him if he wants to become a manager or coach

Not sure if trying to troll, or just plain retarded.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He tried to score against City a couple of times on Sunday. That's the most shocking thing about that match.

I'm glad I'm heading over for the QPR match now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Huge respect to him for making this decision while on a recent relative high playing wise. I think it's the right decision and it will be great to see him go out on top rather than watching him play on too long as so many players tend to do unable to let go. Big character to have lost in the dressing room.

10 reasons why we love Carra

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/10-reasons-why-we-love-carra

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Over 700 games for the club and not a legend? With the greatest of respect, get the fúck out.

He's not a legend though as he's very real.:p

I find the word 'legend' gets thrown about in football far too much, just like 'massive' and 'Bad Time to Concede'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

murpho999 wrote: »
    He's not a legend though as he's very real.:p

I find the word 'legend' gets thrown about in football far too much, just like 'massive' and 'Bad Time to Concede'

'Big game player' is another one.

FFS they are all big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

As much as he was a good player, I don't think he was a legend. He scored a few own goals in critical games

Terrible return for a striker.

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Surprised his retirement announcement hasn't produced its own thread, considering the amount of pointless threads about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Surprised his retirement announcement hasn't produced its own thread, considering the amount of pointless threads about.

No need for another one then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Wouldn't have predicted that after his 2 goals on his debut against Villa in 97 :D

Top career he's had and he's right to bow out. Proper legend

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

celt262 wrote: »
    No need for another one then.

A thread for him would be much more prevalent than most lately. He's been there 26 years and won everything except a league. I'm not even a Liverpool fan, but that is mightily impressive. A model professional with an attitude many would do well to replicate.

As an Inter fan he's comparable to Zanetti for loyalty and commitment to the cause.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Carragher is undoubtedly an LFC and Premier League legend. I do think he was overrated for a lot of his career by Liverpool fans but legendary status isn't all about ability. It's about longevity, attitude and passion and he certainly excelled in all of those areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He'll absolutely be a manager. I could see him on the sidelines for a LFC underage team. Look at Mike Marsh, he's made it to the front bench, and Carra is a proper football nut, lives and breathes it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Would be fantastic to see him bow out with the Europa cup in his hands!

Incredible servant though. I have been very pleasantly surprised at his level of performance over the past few months, because for a period it was looking as if he may be beginning to overstay his welcome a little. He really has contributed this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

An LFC legend, think Agger should get the Vice Captains armband this summer, think Luis only got it as a point during the rumors of him leaving. Two defenders needed now this summer, looks like their should be a few players coming in, and the wages being cut again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I was there for that game, my first ever game at Anfield. He scored the 2nd, early in the second half, in a 4-0 win over Fulham. It was a nice sidefoot near the back post if I remember correctly!

I was thrilled, first game at Anfield and Carragher goes and scores for us! :)

He's a Liverpool legend, end of...

J.

P.S. I remember reading a great Carragher stat a few years ago. He's the second highest scorer *against* us in the PL, after Henry! Not sure if that's still true or not...

A quick Google sys Andy Cole scored 11 against us (don't know if they're all PL goals though), Henry 8 and Carragher 7. Emlyn Hughes scored 26 against us! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Luis Suarez will be new vice, if he masters the art of English. And by the time Stevie G gives way, hopefully Henderson will have progressed enough to be his successor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

aramush wrote: »
    Luis Suarez will be new vice, if he masters the art of English. And by the time Stevie G gives way, hopefully Henderson will have progressed enough to be his successor.

Suarez can speak in english.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Transfer news: Balazs Dzsudzsak claims Dinamo Moscow blocked move to Liverpool

Balazs Dzsudzsak claims Dinamo Moscow rejected an approach from Liverpool for his services during the January transfer window.

The Hungarian midfielder only moved to Russia in January 2012, but was open to the prospect of completing another switch 12 months on.

The chance to turn out in the Premier League appealed to him greatly, but Dinamo were unwilling to discuss a deal.

Dzsudzsak is disappointed to have seen one opportunity pass him by, but believes there will be more to come.

He told Nemzeti Sport: "I stay, but it wasn't up to me.

"Dinamo didn't let me go, not even to Liverpool. I can't say any more because it is not my position to do so.

"I want to say that in Hungary people have written me off, but it seems that some respectable teams still believe in me.

"I am not that disappointed. What I couldn't do during the winter transfer window can be done in the summer. It's also a nice feeling that in Moscow they have faith in me."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8473563/?

This is the first time, I've heard this. Anybody here knows how good this one is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Had to create a thread & panini sticker for Carra :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056875368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Jamie Carragher special on BBC Radio Merseyside at 6pm, Carra in his own words in an extended interview. Robbie Fowler, Roy Evans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭PRAF

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but there is a nice bit in Carra's auto bio (or is it Gerrards) where it says that Carra always gets a bit of stick over all of his own goals. I think we is -4 when you compare his goals to his own goals (or something like that anyway). His response is the point to all the 'near misses' that would have been goals if he didn't prevent them. When you add them in, he heckons he is +250 in goals scored for LFC!!

I'm not sure I'd agree with that stat but when you think back to nights like Istanbul, Carra certainly saved our bacon on more than 1 occassion.

As others have pointed out, he is a legend not just for his abilities but also because of his consistency, dedication to the cause, longevity, etc. One of the greats IMO.

PRAF wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but there is a nice bit in Carra's auto bio (or is it Gerrards) where it says that Carra always gets a bit of stick over all of his own goals. I think we is -4 when you compare his goals to his own goals (or something like that anyway). His response is the point to all the 'near misses' that would have been goals if he didn't prevent them. When you add them in, he heckons he is +250 in goals scored for LFC!!

I'm not sure I'd agree with that stat but when you think back to nights like Istanbul, Carra certainly saved our bacon on more than 1 occassion.

As others have pointed out, he is a legend not just for his abilities but also because of his consistency, dedication to the cause, longevity, etc. One of the greats IMO.

Everyone said that Gerrard won us that final, absolutely not. He was the 3rd most important player for us that night behind Didi and Carra.

• Advertisement

This is the first time, I've heard this. Anybody here knows how good this one is?

The article has it wrong in saying he only moved to Russia in 2012 He joined Dynamo Moscow in 2012 alright, but he left Anzi, the Russian club he joined in 2011, to do so. It never fails to amuse me that media outlets cannot do even the most basic of research on a player.

Everyone said that Gerrard won us that final, absolutely not. He was the 3rd most important player for us that night behind Didi and Carra.

Dudek? Made some big saves during the game as well as what he did in the shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Dinamo Moscow have admitted to rejecting a loan approach from Liverpool for Balazs Dzsudzsak during the winter transfer window.

The Hungarian winger revealed on Tuesday that he had been the subject of interest from England.

He claimed that the opportunity to make a move to Anfield had been denied him by his current employers.

Dinamo were reluctant to discuss reported interest from Liverpoolin January, with the club keen to keep their squad intact.

They have, however, now confirmed that a bid was made from the Premier League side.

Liverpool's offer was knocked back, though, as they were looking to tie up a short-term deal, rather than a permanent transfer.

"We received an offer from Liverpool for a loan deal but not for a permanent deal," said Dinamo's sporting director Dmitry Galyamin.

"Loaning is not an option for us so we finished the discussions immediately."

Kess73 wrote: »
    Dudek? Made some big saves during the game as well as what he did in the shoot out.

2 top class saves in the match(Shevchenko free and the point blank save), bar Kewell everyone that stepped foot on to the pitch deserves every bit of praise and respect possible. Id just have Carra ahead of everyone.

2 top class saves in the match(Shevchenko free and the point blank save), bar Kewell everyone that stepped foot on to the pitch deserves every bit of praise and respect possible. Id just have Carra ahead of everyone.

Coin toss between Didi and Carragher for me as to who was the biggest influence on the pitch for us that night.

I mentioned Dudek as a contender for third place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Coin toss between Didi and Carragher for me as to who was the biggest influence on the pitch for us that night.

Gerrard had a small say too I suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hard to leave Stevie out. Scored the header, won the peno. Filled in at right back in Extra time against Serginho. We would not have won without him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harry Kewell was the most important player that night :p

Hard to leave Stevie out. Scored the header, won the peno. Filled in at right back in Extra time against Serginho. We would not have won without him

We wouldnt have won it without Carra, Dudek or Didi either.

Currently, it is Stevie, Carra, Pepe, Lucas and Luis, then maybe Agger and Skrtel.
    Next season, I think it will be Stevie, Lucas, Luis, Agger, then Hendo (who has the potential to step up, but not the tenure).
    I expect Pepe and Skittles may be gone, and Carra obviously.

Stevie has probably 2 more full seasons after this, so I think Lucas as #2 works for now, a lot can happen in the meantime...

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Gerrard had a small say too I suppose :D

Never said he did not. I just mentioned Dudek as another contender for the third most important player for us that night given that I agreed with the top two Melion had said.

Dudek made at least three potentially game changing saves that night, and for me that has him at least en par with Gerrard.

Didi, Carragher, Dudek, and Gerrard were the stand outs that night in my eyes, in that they were the players who gave the biggest individual contributions and who were the most influential.

Will be sad to see Carra go but obviously it's the right time for all involved.

An absolute legend of the club. Fantastic servant and a player that put blood and guts into almost every performance. My favourite type of players tbh.

Will be missed in the dressing room too I'd imagine.

Hopefully he'll be back at the club in some role at a future date, no doubt he will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I'll always remember Carragher ringing up Talksport and challenging Adrian Durham for calling him "a bottler" when he was retiring from the England team in 2007.

And that TV interview when someone asked if he ever regretted not moving to a "bigger" club, to which we responded "Who's bigger than Liverpool Football Club? No, I'm not havin' that..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

Over 700 games for the club and not a legend? With the greatest of respect, get the fúck out.

So I haven't seen better players in my life? He was good, but not a legend, just because he played over 700 games, which is good, doesn't mean legendary status should be guaranteed

• Advertisement

So I haven't seen better players in my life? He was good, but not a legend, just because he played over 700 games, which is good, doesn't mean legendary status should be guaranteed

He's a club legend.

Not in your eyes but is in probably 99% of LFC supporters.

What a stupid fcuking argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Who is a legend in your eyes and why?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

His appearance total is only one factor in why he's deemed a legend by the vast majority of supporters. I've had my issues with Carra and namely his role in the squad for a few years now but there's no doubting his status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

NukaCola wrote: »
    Who is a legend in your eyes and why?

There are a lot of players that have played less than he has, they have had legend status for a very good reason

To be fair, Nucker is entitled to his opinion, and he has not been in any way offensive in how he has put it across.

My own take on it was summed up more or less by Nuri's short post, but I don't see the point in folk having a bit of a pop at Nucker just because he does not view the player in a certain light.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

Suarez can speak in english.

Not very well.

Not very well.

Says who?

His teammates differ with you on that, and going by how he is well able to shout stuff in english when on the pitch, my own hearing disagrees with you.

It was only recently that Gerrard made a comment in an interview about how Suarez has pretty good english but plays up on the not being able to speak it well in order to avoid interviews with the british press.

Says who?

His teammates differ with you on that, and going by how he is well able to shout stuff in english when on the pitch, my own hearing disagrees with you.

It was only recently that Gerrard made a comment in an interview about how Suarez has pretty good english but plays up on the not being able to speak it well in order to avoid interviews with the british press.

Well if he doesn't want to give interviews after games or at any time that is his choice . It is easy to see why he would play dumb and pretend he can't speak english . The press in england will only look for ways to hang him .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

700 plus games for a club like Liverpool and some question his legendary status, seriously.

If anything carragher was under rated, during his prime he deserved a starting place in the England team.

Lets hope he takes some time off and returns to the club at some level.

• Advertisement

Brad Smith: Jamie Carragher - LEGEND

Didi Hamann: Just heard that Carra retires at the end of the season.One of the all time great LFC players,he showed in the last few weeks he still got it

John Aldridge: I'm in shock,Carra to retire at the end of the season I'm lost for words(for once) Speak later on it

Lucas Leiva: Just read Carra statement. Let's enjoy a few more months with him before he retires. It is amazing what he is done for LFC. #23

Michael Owen: What a servant Carra has been for Liverpool. A rare breed and it's been a privilege to play alongside, room with and be big mates with one

Neil Mellor: Sad to hear Jamie Carragher set to retire at end of the season. An honour to have played with a Liverpool Great.A model pro to any young lad

Paul Dalglish: Carra's a rare breed of player who can look back on his career with no regrets as his desire made sure he fulfilled every ounce of potential. I love Carra but I disagree with people saying retire the 23 shirt. It's not what the club stands for. It is Liverpool's shirt not his. Young defenders should grow up dreaming of wearing the number of their hero, they shouldn't be denied the opportunity to do so.

Phil Thompson: Carra retiring,what a legend and what a wonderful servant to our great club ,we won't see the likes of him again. RESPECT MATE

Rio Ferdinand: Jamie Carragher has been a great servant to Lfc. Great player&a top fella! Funny guy! Nutter when we were kids but management material now.

Robbie Fowler: Sorry to hear the news on carra, his quotes regarding retirement tell you everything about the man... An absolute legend of a player. And knowing carra, he won't want a big fuss.... But you know what, he deserves one of the biggest.. #23

Suso Fernandez: Gutted that Jamie Carragher will retire at the end of the season... He's a Liverpool legend... Amazing player and person

He has been getting alot of tributes today :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement