Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

djPSB wrote: »
    Would have Wisdom ahead of him.

Stronger, quicker, better touch, reads the game better, better positioning.

If kelly didnt pick up his injury chances are wisdom would still be playing with the reserves bar a few europa games perhaps. Kelly was playing so well before injury glen was pushed over to lb so he could play rb although this could have more to do with enrique still being ****e at the time. Wisdom has done excellently since hes came in and at 19 is a big prospect for us at both cb and likewise kelly.
    Like lucas, i dont expect to see the best if kelly again till next season, think hes due back sometime next month. Flanno is a dead duck. Great to see we are producing first team talent, is kelly scouse??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Suarez is class but he does need to learn not to have go for the spectacular glory goal every time. How many times this season have we seen him shoot when there was another player better positioned for a chance , keep an eye out for it
    With Sturridge playing I would expect Suarez to be supplying him with goals, that they can compliment each other. I think playing together they can be much more effective than if they are out for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

He ain't that bad.

Are you expecting a scouse accent or something? :P

Ah man I would pay good money to hear Luis speak scouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Sometimes you have to laugh at the posts in this thread.

Not so long ago Henderson was slated week in week out.

And now after a few good games, a few people are talking about handing him the armband.

Mother of God.

Or else some people knew he was good and the criticism he was getting was hopelessly uninformed.

daithijjj wrote: »
    When Enrique gets injured we effectively lose a right back and a left back because Wisdom is no Jonhson and Johnson is not natural there like Enrique, merely competent.

I think Kelly being available in that equation lessens the blow of moving Johnson but its not ideal, we need another left back.

Wisdom has shown at least as much as Kelly.
    Kelly had one or 2 very good games but Wisdom looks far more consistent so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hope we are building a squad to win title,
    Not to qualify for Champions League
    Pisses me off to hear people say
    Few more good signings and we can challenge for 4th!
    Fcuk 4th, I want title, And to put up with Champions League if we come 2nd!
    Its Liverpool FFS, Not spurs
    Sad that every season 3 teams have ambition to win title, Man u, Man city,Chelsea
    We have not even set it as target, Should be our only target,
    Should be our goal, And it should be talked about as our goal,
    I find it hard to believe Rodgers even considers it a possibility in next two years to fight for title
    Seems 4th is quest,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I find it hard to believe Rodgers even considers it a possibility in next two years to fight for title
    Seems 4th is quest,

Do you realistically believe we can challenge for the title in the next 2 seasons?

4th is a more realistic goal for the next 2 seasons. You have to consider who we are up against. Chelsea ManCity ManUtd Spurs all have stronger squads, all can outspend us and all will have the Champions league draw for the best players (i think Spurs will this season). We are even a bit behind Arsenal in terms of squad and tactical setup or philosophy.

We are some way off 4th, let alone winning the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hope we are building a squad to win title,
    Not to qualify for Champions League
    Pisses me off to hear people say
    Few more good signings and we can challenge for 4th!
    Fcuk 4th, I want title, And to put up with Champions League if we come 2nd!
    Its Liverpool FFS, Not spurs
    Sad that every season 3 teams have ambition to win title, Man u, Man city,Chelsea
    We have not even set it as target, Should be our only target,
    Should be our goal, And it should be talked about as our goal,
    Seems 4th is quest,

It's a progression, a stepping stone. You can't expect us to go out next year and say we're challenging for the title. Under-promise, over deliver. Keep expectations reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry sir....is this better?

He's Englandish is perfect....

asked how settled was he & the family in the city

at 0:50 he answered "the family is important.... outside, the bítch... the bítch is important....... :D :cool:

Adorjan, pelosi and ibe added to Europa squad. Will be a second string team going to zenit I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Suarez is class but he does need to learn not to have go for the spectacular glory goal every time.
    No offense mate, but Suarez doesn't have anything to learn from the likes of you or me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

klose wrote: »
    If kelly didnt pick up his injury chances are wisdom would still be playing with the reserves bar a few europa games perhaps. Kelly was playing so well before injury glen was pushed over to lb so he could play rb although this could have more to do with enrique still being ****e at the time. Wisdom has done excellently since hes came in and at 19 is a big prospect for us at both cb and likewise kelly.
    Like lucas, i dont expect to see the best if kelly again till next season, think hes due back sometime next month. Flanno is a dead duck. Great to see we are producing first team talent, is kelly scouse??
    Hes from Bolton.

Think people seem to have forgotten how good Kelly can be in his absence. Far better than Wisdom as a rb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Gbear wrote: »
    Or else some people knew he was good and the criticism he was getting was hopelessly uninformed.

Wisdom has shown at least as much as Kelly.
    Kelly had one or 2 very good games but Wisdom looks far more consistent so far.

Kelly has shown far more at RB when Liverpool have the ball, he's much better at getting forward in support of the right winger/forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hes from Bolton.

Think people seem to have forgotten how good Kelly can be in his absence. Far better than Wisdom as a rb.
    I'm interested in seeing Kelly being tried in the CB role to be honest.

I'd imagine either himself or Wisdom could be played there but would use Kelly based on having that little bit more experience and from playing that position at u21 for England.

Should be interesting to see how his speed helps him play in that role, he is quite fast and strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

D'Agger wrote: »
    I'm interested in seeing Kelly being tried in the CB role to be honest.

I'd imagine either himself or Wisdom could be played there but would use Kelly based on having that little bit more experience and from playing that position at u21 for England.

Should be interesting to see how his speed helps him play in that role, he is quite fast and strong.

Has Kelly got any decent minutes at CB in the senior team. I can only remember him as a RB in the first 11.

One slight worry I would have for him at CB is will he be physical enough for there?
    It's an existing problem with Skrtel & Agger when they come up against a robust old school no. 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Are Kelly's injuries a series of unfortunate incidents or is there an underlying/ongoing problem? :confused:

Like Gerrard's back when he was the same age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hes from Bolton.

Think that is hard to say as Kelly is longer in the team than Wisdom.

I think Wisdom could be a great player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RebelRed90

First time post

So far I'm pleased with how the season is planning out. 09/10 season was a disaster as Albert Riera put it “We don’t play nice football. Effective, yes but not nice. This year has been difficult and nothing has changed. When you see a ship sinking and do not change …”. At the time I was glad to see Benitez go, as I felt a change was needed and he had ran his course. However after Hodgson and Dalglish, I was nearly hoping Benitez would come back. I wasn't initially too pleased when Brendan Rogers took over. After all football is all about experience.

However since his arrival I seen many reasons for optimism. He has "steadied the ship" and is building a team that is suited to his style of play and is bringing out the best in our previous seasons "flops". While having a huge emphasis on youth. We are playing some of the best/attractive football I've seen liverpool play in years if not in the 2 decades Ive supported them (might be an exaggeration). We are back to the days of putting the lower place teams to the sword and killing them off early (dont mind villa and oldham!). That was one thing that annoyed me under the Benitez regime, we often drew against the lower teams and were never seem to score hat fulls against them on a regular basis like United and Arsenal. Granted we were able to beat the big teams which we've been unable to do this year, however I feel we've been on top against a lot of the big teams so for this season and its only a matter of time before we do.

At the start of this season, I was reading this forum and most people agreed that this season was more about improvement than anything else, most said 6th or 7th would be a good improvement on last years 8th place. Now we are 9 points off 4th which I don't expect us to get, however I am absolutely SURE we wont finish 17 points off 4th like last season, I even expect us to finish about 5 points off 4th judging by our remaining fixtures. Which is a vast improvement.

defensively we have been poor this season, and obviously we want more consistency but overall I am happy with Rogers appointment so far.

murpho999 wrote: »

I think Wisdom could be a great player for us.

Careful now, I said the same about Henderson a few weeks ago and was told I was over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Adorjan, pelosi and ibe added to Europa squad. Will be a second string team going to zenit I imagine

And Coady, Yesil and McLaughlin all in, but Morgan out. Has Yesil leap-frogged Morgan now? I think he should have, in terms of ability to step up to the big time I think he has an edge...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭locked 1

Dickerty wrote: »
    And Coady, Yesil and McLaughlin all in, but Morgan out. Has Yesil leap-frogged Morgan now? I think he should have, in terms of ability to step up to the big time I think he has an edge...

Morgans out on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

darced wrote: »

Spot on....when he was playing regularly he was caught out of position numerous times, and was often happy just to stroll back. I can see him ending up playing CB with him covering RB if we are really stuck....kinda like Agger has done at LB from time to time this season. Although with Johnson/Wisdom/ and Kelly at a push, Flanagan should be moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Stevie gets player of the month and he looks fecking delighted !

steven_gerrard_scpom_02.jpg

darced wrote: »

I never said he was fit to, if either turn out to be half as good as Johnson well be doing well. I meant it was either play Jose lb and glen rb but Kelly was a better option to have on the pitch then Jose so it meant having to switch glen to lb earlier in the season.

Aye, there were there from the off though. I think Sahin pacheco Cole and morgan have been taken off. Morgan is on loan so that's why I guess?

locked 1 wrote: »
    Morgans out on loan

That was only a month loan initially, although I guess it could be extended, and this squad has to go through the remaining rounds and the final (I'm being positive!)

With Daniel and Philippe not eligable, it's a good platform for Borini and Sterling to get some starts, hopefully they'll be kept fresh and sharp. Luis will still be everywhere!

Aye, there were there from the off though. I think Sahin pacheco Cole and morgan have been taken off. Morgan is on loan so that's why I guess?

McLaughlin staying in is very positive for him, considering there are already to RBs in the squad, although Glenjo covers LB as well. So that's basically your 4 FBs. Coady deserves to stay involved for his seniority at the junior ranks.

I think Yesil is the more telling one. Given Sturridge is not available, and Borini likely to start, he'll be on the bench most of these games. Gives him a good chance at some minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Did Morgan not come back due to not getting enough game time at Rotherham?? I thought i'd heard something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Coutinho's no longer lonely on the training ground now!!

tumblr_mhwo93nozt1rk3pyoo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Stevie gets player of the month and he looks fecking delighted !

steven_gerrard_scpom_02.jpg

"Never thought I'd get this feckin thing off Luis"

• Advertisement

Jaoe Texiera trained with the first team today. Wow, big vote of confidence there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joao Carolos Texiera is going to be a big thing for Liverpool I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

mike65 wrote: »
    Joao Carolos Texiera is going to be a big thing for Liverpool I think

He's 20 now and Coutinho, Shelvey and Suso seem to be way ahead of him. When and where do you see him slotting in? I don't know much about the lad but have seen a few posts here touting him.

Well he is clearly a better technical footballer than Shelvey, I'd put him at Suso +25% level
    obviously Coutinho must be at a higher level as he cost 8 million and will go straight into the first team squad (unless someone has got things terribly wrong!). I think he'll be managed if only to make sure he doesn't suffer any re-occurrences of his growth troubles a la Gerrard. I'd hope to see him in the first team squad from sometime next season, certainly for the Cups and Europe if taking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Well he is clearly a better technical footballer than Shelvey, I'd put him at Suso +25% level
    obviously Coutinho must be at a higher level as he cost 8 million and will go straight into the first team squad (unless someone has got things terribly wrong!). I think he'll be managed if only to make sure he doesn't suffer any re-occurrences of his growth troubles a la Gerrard. I'd hope to see him in the first team squad from sometime next season, certainly for the Cups and Europe if taking part.
    Speaking of Suso, I'd like to see him either given another chance vs. Zenit, preferably central although I doubt that'll happen, we need to get him loaned out this summer if he's to develop into the player we think he can be.

"clearly a better technical football" - how can you be so sure?
    I sincerely doubt that anyone on here has seen him play more than 10 games. I don't think he has a single senior game to his name.
    So how could be be ahead of Suso and Shelvey?

Suso is an excellent technical player, and has shown some graft in a league that it's not a natural place for a player like him to shine. He deserves to be in the first team squad.

I accept that Teireira looks to have potential, but by that rationale, is Yesil ahead of Borini? Or McLoughlin ahead of Wisdom? Just based on potential?

Jaoe Texiera trained with the first team today. Wow, big vote of confidence there

To be fair, a number of the U21/Reserve team have trained with the first team for a week, it seems a standard practice to give them all exposure without playing favourites...

I see Kelly has signed a new deal. So much for the stories during the week of him looking for an excessive wage. We don't seem to be in the mood for excess these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I see Kelly has signed a new deal. So much for the stories during the week of him looking for an excessive wage. We don't seem to be in the mood for excess these days!

That's great news. Lets hope as he gets older he can shake off the injuries.

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    That's great news. Lets hope as he gets older he can shake off the injuries.

Yeh - to be fair, the ACL can happen to anyone, so hopefully he can get a few seasons with more regular showings. If available today, he'd probably still be on the bench with Enrique's form, but maybe we'd have let Coates go out on loan if he's be available to cover CB (along with Carra and Wisdom)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

we have alot of young English/British players under 23

Sturridge
    Sterling
    Allen
    Shelvey
    Henderson
    Kelly
    Wisdom
    Robinson
    Morgan
    Ibe
    McClaughlin
    Flanagan
    Sinclair
    Coady

& possibly Tom Ince to join in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Liverpool Football Club is delighted to announce that defender Martin Kelly has committed his long-term future to the club by signing a new contract.

The 22-year-old put pen to paper on the deal on Friday afternoon and shortly after signing, he told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm delighted to have signed. It means everything to me and my family. I've been at Liverpool since I was seven, so it's in my heart and I love the club.

"When you play in the Liverpool shirt, you have to show the fans what it means. I just love playing and trying my hardest for the supporters and for my family.

"Being a Liverpool supporter myself, it's brilliant to put the shirt on and I'm doing what I have loved doing since I was a kid. I'm over the moon.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/kelly-commits-future-to-reds

"clearly a better technical football" - how can you be so sure?
    I sincerely doubt that anyone on here has seen him play more than 10 games. I don't think he has a single senior game to his name.
    So how could be be ahead of Suso and Shelvey?

Suso is an excellent technical player, and has shown some graft in a league that it's not a natural place for a player like him to shine. He deserves to be in the first team squad.

I accept that Teireira looks to have potential, but by that rationale, is Yesil ahead of Borini? Or McLoughlin ahead of Wisdom? Just based on potential?

To be honest I wouldn't even compare the two (Shelvey/Tex), they'll be quite different types. One a bit of a Blunderbuss effective but messy, the other a rapier.

McLaughlin will be a better player at RB than anyone at Liverpool currently, IF his innate talent is developed correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Yeh - to be fair, the ACL can happen to anyone, so hopefully he can get a few seasons with more regular showings. If available today, he'd probably still be on the bench with Enrique's form, but maybe we'd have let Coates go out on loan if he's be available to cover CB (along with Carra and Wisdom)...

That was a tough break for him.

However a fit Kelly has shown more than enough to make the match day squad. I for one look forward to his return

MD1990 wrote: »
    we have alot of young English/British players under 23

Sturridge
    Sterling
    Allen
    Shelvey
    Henderson
    Kelly
    Wisdom
    Robinson
    Morgan
    Ibe
    McClaughlin
    Flanagan
    Sinclair
    Coady

& possibly Tom Ince to join in the summer

Yes, and although it's not everything, I think having a core of British players always benefits the team. Every title winning team has had them in key positions -
    Blackburn was a largely British team
    United had Pally, Bruce, Ferdinand, Neville, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Cole, Rooney as key players over the period
    Chelsea had Terry, Lampard and Cole throughout their successful period
    Arsenal started with a very British team (Keown, Adams, Seaman, Wright, Parlour) and still had a few in more recent years, although I wonder it Wenger's penchant for non-British has cost him? (too much focus on "buy low, sell high"?)
    And City have Hart, Lescott, Barry, Milner and Michael Johnson!

• Advertisement

To be honest I wouldn't even compare the two (Shelvey/Tex), they'll be quite different types. One a bit of a Blunderbuss effective but messy, the other a rapier.

McLaughlin will be a better player at RB than anyone at Liverpool currently, IF his innate talent is developed correctly.

I dunno, Johnson is a pretty exceptional modern RB. He's had his poor spells in defence, but he's hugely effective and suited for the modern game. His running with the ball is as good as most wingers and attacking midfielders, and can keep it up for 90 mins. I think McLaughlin could be a similar player, the new Rob Jones. But he needs to work his butt off every single day to make it.

Yes, comparing Shelvey to either Suso or Tex is a little pointless. Aren't after the same role.

Is Kelly serious rocking that hairstyle in the oblig creepy Ian ayre photo? What a greaser :pac: good to see he signed on anyways, like him myself. Think hell move centrally next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Kelly has a huge amount to prove and not just his fitness.

He's been in and around the first team squad for close to 5 years but has only made 28 appearances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Yes, and although it's not everything, I think having a core of British players always benefits the team. Every title winning team has had them in key positions -
    Blackburn was a largely British team
    United had Pally, Bruce, Ferdinand, Neville, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Cole, Rooney as key players over the period
    Chelsea had Terry, Lampard and Cole throughout their successful period
    Arsenal started with a very British team (Keown, Adams, Seaman, Wright, Parlour) and still had a few in more recent years, although I wonder it Wenger's penchant for non-British has cost him? (too much focus on "buy low, sell high"?)
    And City have Hart, Lescott, Barry, Milner and Michael Johnson!

The last great Arsenal team (the team that went an entire season unbeaten) only had two british players that were regular starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Kess73 wrote: »
    The last great Arsenal team (the team that went an entire season unbeaten) only had two british players that were regular starters.

An home base of players is important.

Arsenal didn't have many but that team then disintegrated rather quick.

United have always had a strong core of British or Irish players and that has helped them maintain consistency over the years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement