Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WESTERN DIGITAL Elements SE Portable Hard Drive - 1TB, Black

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Not exactly fiver though 59.99/.84 - 71.42 :)
    Is the delivery free to Ireland? it only say's free to UK.

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Bought the 2TB version off Amazon two days ago.

Free Super Saver delivery to Ireland.

Twice the capacity for around €14 more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-External-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B003IPC21Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360151902&sr=1-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

quad_red wrote: »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-External-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B003IPC21Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1360151902&sr=1-2

That one's not portable, it needs a power supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Is it a better option than this similarly priced Samsung?

I know Samsung are jumping into everything, But I would stick with WD, Toshiba et al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Reliability is only an issue if you don't have a backup. So if you need one, maybe you need two...

I don't think theres much between brands these days. Though Seagate get slightly less good reviews than other brands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

imtdub wrote: »
    I know Samsung are jumping into everything, But I would stick with WD, Toshiba et al

Why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

imtdub wrote: »

Jibberish, Samsung have been making excellent hard drives for a good few years now.
    I've sent multiple WD drives back for warranty replacement, never a Samsung

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Just so you know, there are only 3 hard drive manufacturers in the world now: Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba. So unless that Samsung is old stock it's going to be rocking a Seagate drive inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

ever notice that in nearly every review of hard drives on amazon, theres always one guy who says, rubbish it failed after one day two days etc etc.

just an observation.

samsung drive looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

maki wrote: »
    Just so you know, there are only 3 hard drive manufacturers in the world now: Seagate, Western Digital, and Toshiba. So unless that Samsung is old stock it's going to be rocking a Seagate drive inside.

Samsung = Seagate they bought it nearly three years ago. They produced excellent drives I have samsung spin point drives right the way from 2000 to 2010 all perfect. In fact the only short term failure I saw was where students gave it a drink of coke through the front grille of the computer.

Have had to send several seagate and two toshiba external drives to easyrecovery in belfast though in the last year or two.

Its not so much the hard disk as the junk injection moulded cases they come in. You want a case with good ventilation that minimises vibration most are cheap plastic housings, no ventilation, no rubber feet. A light bump of the cable sends them flying across the room the simple addition of rubber feet makes it much harder to send them flying and reduced vibration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Thanks OP... Just picked up one in Tralee!! Still priced at 129.99 or so on shelf but took to checkout and got for 74.99!! Harvey Norman next door wanted 99 for a Seagate of same size!!! Happy out!

Sikpupi wrote: »
    Thanks OP... Just picked up one in Tralee!! Still priced at 129.99 or so on shelf but took to checkout and got for 74.99!! Harvey Norman next door wanted 99 for a Seagate of same size!!! Happy out!

you're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭banchang

quad_red wrote: »

For info, the OPs 1TB is USB powered (which I prefer) but the 2TB is AC powered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

banchang wrote: »
    For info, the OPs 1TB is USB powered (which I prefer) but the 2TB is AC powered

OPs is also USB 3.0 compatible where the 2TB is only USB 2.0.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passport-1TB-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B007UOW818/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360232147&sr=8-1

This one is also Eur75 delivered with free Supersaver delivery

The My Passport is smaller, & slimmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

maki wrote: »
    I would have guessed there might still be variation within the brands. Just like tesco have a "value", normal and "finest" range. When they buy out a company I would imagine some might hold onto the previous companies manufacturing facilities etc.

I learnt of this "3 companies" in another thread about hitachi drives now owned by WD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGST

Still looks like they are possibly different quality. It would be sort of like saying there is no difference between volkswagen & skoda cars since VW own skoda.
    banchang wrote: »
    I get Payment Total: EUR 80,18 at actual checkout, when Irish VAT is applied, you will typically get a better rate if you pay in sterling and take your CC companys rate though.

rubadub wrote: »
    ....Still looks like they are possibly different quality. It would be sort of like saying there is no difference between volkswagen & skoda cars since VW own skoda.....

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/jd-power-survey-2012/small-family-cars/263078

;)

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »

I never said which was better!, in fact I have heard people saying the skodas could be better built than an equivalent range VW to try and overcome the bad reputation they had.

Some biscuit makers can have "own brand" versions coming out of the same factory but at different qualities too, like turning up the ovens hotter, using poorer ingredients.

Expecting companies to have no variation in quality between product lines would be quite unusual.

You'll also find a lot of things are made the same, but sold at two different price points, because some people always buy the precieved "better" brand and others the precieved "better value" brand.

Then the marketing builds up myths to help sell to these groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I get Payment Total: EUR 80,18 at actual checkout, when Irish VAT is applied, you will typically get a better rate if you pay in sterling and take your CC companys rate though.

Did you change the color? I found changing the colour to red upped the price by about £5.

Did you change the color? I found changing the colour to red upped the price by about £5.
    I didn't change it. Now I changed it to red I see it does increase further though.

The £65 was €80.18 on amazons conversion. I was guessing you might have used XE to convert the £65 which shows as €76 now, but nobody gets that rate, plus you are charged Irish VAT at the checkout stage.

So at checkout I get
    Order Total: GBP 66.63
    (Payment Total: EUR 80,18**)

As I said amazon have a poor exchange rate so it will be under 80, but above the xe rate. You can get mastercard & visas current rates on line, and add on your bank charges.

http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html

note mastercard does not have the additional fees.

I didn't change it. Now I changed it to red I see it does increase further though.

The £65 was €80.18 on amazons conversion. I was guessing you might have used XE to convert the £65 which shows as €76 now, but nobody gets that rate, plus you are charged Irish VAT at the checkout stage.

So at checkout I get
    Order Total: GBP 66.63
    (Payment Total: EUR 80,18**)

As I said amazon have a poor exchange rate so it will be under 80, but above the xe rate. You can get mastercard & visas current rates on line, and add on your bank charges.

http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/index.html

note mastercard does not have the additional fees.

I bought a black one this morning - I always choose to pay in Sterling if its a Sterling charge, & today's rate converts that to Eur75 delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

Might be a stupid question but can only certain hard drives be used with Mac's??

Advertisement